1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
It's been discussed a bit... ISTR that the off-the-cuff pricing for a three-chip DLP would be in the neighborhood of $10-20 grand... (how close is my memory, guys, since you can't search for 3 AND DLP ....).

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
3-chip DLP projectors are finally reaching into the, low/mid-$20,000s -- and up.

My guess is that they will never come to rear projection TVs. If they do, it's years away.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Why are 3 chip DLP systems so pricey?

How on earth do they cost more than the sum of three separate

DLP RPTV sets?? Shouldn't that be the upper limit in price by definition?

Are they really that hard to align?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by zvogt
Why are 3 chip DLP systems so pricey?

How on earth do they cost more than the sum of three separate

DLP RPTV sets?? Shouldn't that be the upper limit in price by definition?

Are they really that hard to align?
My thoughts exactly. 3 chip DLP projectors have been around for some time, but they have always had those sky high price points for anything in the consumer realm, but I got the impression that the reason for this bit of news release was that they had finally put together a 3 chip setup at a price point that was going to be alot more affordable.

On a similar note, I'm also very curious to know if they are still working on a 1920 x 1080 pixel DMD.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Maybe because they reflect at particular angles, and not filter a straight beam (or reflect directly back like lcos), the optics and alignment are probably far more complicated. Also, the DMDs reflect on the diagonal, which makes it additionally wierd.

Maybe they can come up with a 2-DLP system where each DLP uses a seperate beam through opposite parts of the color wheel.

Or better yet... microprisms instead of micromirrors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.