AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few post on 3-chip dlp's, and had a couple of questions.

First of all, how good are some of the older ones like the ampro alice 5200 (1998-99 model), and how would it compare to todays dlps, lcd's, d-ila's.

Next, what are some good newer models to buy. I have done some searches but can't seem to come up with anything but the runco vx-3c.

I want to thank everyone in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Hi

The older 3 chips still outperform the newer 1 chip dlps and lcd projectors. The color is great as well as light output.

These are bigger machines and they are noisier than the their littler brothers because of the fan needed to cool the xenon bulb.

The newer models cost 30K and up.

I have an ampro 5000 800x600 unit for cheap if interested.

Works perfect.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was interested in ampro 5200 (1024x768)that was on sell at projector central. The one that you have is 800x600 will that still give good picture quality. I know that picture quality is not dependent on just resolution but how much difference is there between an svga and a xga.

I know these suckers are big, but if the picture is worth it, what the hell.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Since he is saying so, I have no doubt than Alan's unit is working fine.

But don't buy older models unseen: I have seen for example a first generation Digital Projection 3-DLPs, and it was completely unsuited for video: every pixel was shimmerring independently of the others, creating a sort of unstable screen door effect.

Also, size may not be a big issue, but heat and noise are: you might need a sort of projector booth, or at least a big ventilated hush box.

Think also about HDTV: 800x600 will only display 25% of the available resolution.

------------------

Robert

[This message has been edited by robena (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Paul_Seng (or someone else):

Do you have any information about pricing of the Digital Projection home products? I could not find anything on their web site.

Thanks.

Bob

·
Registered
855 Posts
There is NO difference between the "home" and "commercial" versions of the DP projectors. DP has taken notice of the home market and has updated their PR materials to show their commercial products can be used in that environment as well as the markets for which they were originally designed (rental and staging). It looks like DP is putting out SOME projectors that don't have built in Faroudja de-interlacers and Cintel scalers so maybe the price IS less than $30K.

This is a link to the specs for their entire projector lineup. Check out the 4000sx, only 95lbs! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif All their DLP projectors are 3.5K lumens and above! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
220 Posts
That 4000sx sure does look a lot like the NEC sx-6000. I belive Alan is selling a NEC xt5000 (the 1024x768 version) for about 25k.

------------------

Best regards

Lars

[This message has been edited by Krimi (edited 09-08-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.