Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AUO has announced their 46" LCD panel:

http://www.auo.com/newsDetail.php?in...&intNewsId=349

Looks like AUO, the world's third-largest TFT-LCD maker, is going to join Samsung and LG-Philips in the 46-inch-or-larger category early next year.

Can Sharp and NEC-Mitsubishi be too far behind?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Funny how the Japanese have yet to announce a large screen LCD (42" or above).... I know Sharp has plans of a 42" but I do not believe they have made any announcement.

Mark

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They seem to be napping while others get the jump and establish the category. However, some Japanese may well OEM the 46" panels from AUO and Samsung.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
response time of less than 12 ms (gray to gray)
What do they mean by gray to gray? Isn't that cheating a little bit? Aren't most response times the full black to black times?

·
Registered
114 Posts
In another thread there was a discussion of how the gray-gray transitions are generally slower. It would seem as if the LC molecules respond fastest to a big "error" between "should be" and "is". So changing from gray to gray is a small error and the molecules don't move as fast. Changing from white to black drives them harder. There's a new technology called "feed forward" that compensates for this by initially driving a pixel to a level that is farther away in the right direction.

So there is some value in the gray-gray response time. If they gave both gray-gray and white-black it would be easier to see what was going on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Isn't black to black the ultimate way to tell how fast it is? Starts black, rises to white, then falls to black.

Gray rising to white and falling gray would not seem like a fair comparison of the full rise + fall time.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Sony and Panny now offer a 50" LCD panel.

The Sony streets for about $3500 at CC, and the Panny, at Tweeter, is about $2900.

VB

·
Registered
369 Posts
pi, I think you may have been accidentally refering to rear projection LCD displays, rather than flat panel LCD's.

·
Registered
38 Posts
jflegert, don't get excited, he's referring to rear projection LCD's with poor resolution. 50" at only 1280 x 720.

Whereas this new AU Optronics is a flat panel at a much better 1920×1080 resolution.

·
Registered
476 Posts
3.1415926 pi

I think, that panel (actually 3 sandwiched panels) is 0.9 inch diagonally. You are referring to Sony GWII (not GW11 as some people posted in this forum).

From a mag. review:

"The blacks produced by the Grand Wega will not satisfy the video perfectionist. A solid black field looked medium-gray, and this raised black level permeated almost everything viewed on the set. It was most often visible as a gray fog overlaying dark scenes, but could also show up on some bright scenes as a subtle washing-out of the picture."

I had the same impression when comparing GWII's picture with one of a lowly CRT-based RPTV.

Mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Katana Man
Isn't black to black the ultimate way to tell how fast it is? Starts black, rises to white, then falls to black.

Gray rising to white and falling gray would not seem like a fair comparison of the full rise + fall time.
If the transition time is shorter for big changes in brightness, then black-white-black or white-black-white could be deceptively fast. All you'd have to do is try to overshoot. The pixel would reach black or white accurately in spite of the overshoot. Gray-white-gray would require smaller differences in voltage. The molecules would respond more slowly. So it's possile that the resulting time would be the best reflection of the speed of the device. I don't think I've seen a device where the manufacturer quoted both numbers.

·
23,032 Posts
Wow - 12ms is a far cry from the 25-30ms being used today.

I would assume these panels will finally be usable for watching

sports and playing computer games.

Is anybody selling 20"-30" panels with these response times?

larry

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, I'd love to see a product that shows specs for both response times: gray-white-gray and black-white-black. As it is now, it's hard to compare apples to oranges.

To me, it seems a little fishy. If AU Optronics is so proud of their "super high response time", then they should also show the standard black-white-black specs that everyone else is using.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Katana Man, I think you're right. Sorry If i got eveyones hopes up.

I'm bad. VB

·
Registered
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PooperScooper
Wow - 12ms is a far cry from the 25-30ms being used today.

I would assume these panels will finally be usable for watching

sports and playing computer games.

Is anybody selling 20"-30" panels with these response times?

larry
The days of single digit response times are not that far away.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There is no specification standard, alas. Even the "standard specs" everyone is using are not standard.

Mark

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I believe 16ms is suitable for 60 fps (I think 12ms does 62.5fps) without ghosting. One would think this would be perfect for HDTV @ 60fps. I've been long waiting for Toshiba's new 57" LCOS for 2003, but the delay has bummed me out. A friend has Sony's GWII, which looks nice, though not as nice as my panny 47wx42 (which I've done every tweak I could possible do without proper equipment).

I think I might actually be able to live with LCD's limitations if it was 1080p. Funny enough, one night I was messing around with my sunglasses in his house doing my Kobe impersonation (sunglasses on indoors, not the other thing he did) and it made the blacks on his Sony look great. :)

Though I wanted my next tv to be bigger I think I could do a 46" tv since it is a flat panel. I think I'm going to keep an eye on this, since the most important facet of my next tv is 1080p.

Oh, I believe that grey to grey measurements are worst case scenarios for time(thus more people trust those).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.