AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TW Cable HD Box (HBO, Showtime), RCA DTC-100 (HDNet, Locals), Toshiba DVD player...

Only two sets of component video inputs into the back of my set...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
379 Posts
use one input for the DTC 100,

buy a composite switchbox and use it for the other two

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Available, I assume, at my local home theatre equipment dealer?

My wife will love it... something to make it even harder to "just turn on the TV!" ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the same problem as you.

And I've found a solution that simplifies things a bit.

I have a Sony KW34-HD1 , which only has one 1080i component input.

Through changes in the service menu, I've made the 1080i input a 480p/1080i input.

The point here is that I bought three composite y-cables and hooked them into the 480p/1080i input.

I then hooked a Sony SAT-HD100 HDTV Satellite receiver (1080i)and a Sony DVP-9000ES (480p) into the 480p/1080i component video input. To watch the satellite receiver in 1080i, all I need to do is turn off the DVD player. To watch the DVD player in 480p, all I need to do is turn the satellite receiver off. It works great and it doesn't look like there is any loss in picture quality on the satellite receiver or the DVD player using this setup.

Tomorrow, I'm going to go buy three more composite y-cables so I can hook my x-box (and the other two) up to the input.

Good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
RTR,

Can you be more specific in your set-up. I have just bought a 480p DVD and have the same problem that Video 5 will only run it. I also have a HD Tunner (SAT HD-100) and have to swap cables at the moment. I can switch the Component Ys though a switch box. But I perfer to switch along the audio to. This is 5 RCA jacks I need to switch. I was told to switch the audio though my receiver but perfer not to.

Ron

·
Registered
31 Posts
HiRes2,

It looks like we pretty much have the same problem.

I have one 480p/1080i component input on my television and I have two RCA audio-in jacks (left and right) for this 480p/1080i input. That makes a total of 5 RCA input jacks (red/blue/green video, left&right audio). Obviously I need 10 jacks.

So, I put a short 6-inch or so RCA y-cable (1 RCA male to 2 RCA female) into each of the five jacks on the back of my TV. I then was able to plug in both the video and audio of both my high definition satellite receiver and my progressive scan DVD player at the same time. Like I said, just remember to turn off the DVD player before using the satellite and turn off the satellite before using the DVD player.

Some people on this site have suggested that what I'm doing is not wise as it can create feedback and may possibly damage my TV (see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=ycable+rca ) I've used this setup for quite some time though and so far have had no problems with it.

Though I can't find the Radio Shack part number for the 6-inch or so RCA y-cable, I did manage to find the part# for another part that will probably work for you. It is the RCA Gold-Plated Mono Adapter and it's part# is 274-881...

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=274%2D881

It is a 1RCA male to 2 RCA female adapter plug.

A picture of this part is attached below.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I'm using the $14.99 Radio Shack A/B switch for my Xbox and HD receiver going into the one 1080i input of my HDTV.

It's not supposed to be for component cable, but the switch doesn't know any better and since it's mechanical there is no bandwidth issues.

Basically, it's the same idea as the Y connectors, but with the switch box you don't have to worry about both sources feeding into the TV and causing problems.

Just make sure you are consistent with the connections.

Yellow - I use the Y cable here

Red - I use Pr cable here

White - I use the Pb cable here

I've connected it that way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
New post today descibes modifing S Video on component switcher to run the 5 needed RCA jacks. Looks like some money could be made if some one marketed this!!!

Ron

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by greg o
jdiehl -

could you pass along the rs part #? thanks.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1952

Part number on the box is 15-1952

It's called an Audio/Video Selector. The box is only about 6 inches long. It's very cheap, and plastic, but works perfectly. The guy at the counter thought I was nuts. :)

I've been using it for 2 days now and I see no degradation of video quality after installing the switch. I watch some HDNET last night and the same clips I had watched days before (with a breakout cable straight to my set) didn't look any different than they do now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i went to rs and picked up jdiehl's #15-1952. 3 rca plugs in and out will eliminate the need to build special cables. i will put the box in between a hipix and stb. if i can see a difference with/without the box, i can take it back and have not built special cables. thanks for the pointer.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Snyder
TW Cable HD Box (HBO, Showtime), RCA DTC-100 (HDNet, Locals), Toshiba DVD player...

Only two sets of component video inputs into the back of my set...

Any ideas?
I bough an xbox yesterday, now I have the same problem.

I bough Monster Y RCA connectors $4.95 at Best Buy each, it works great, I have the DVD and the Xbox hooked together, I just have to remember not to turn on the DVD and Xbox at the same time, but even if I do, I don't think it will hurt anything.

Good luck

Carlos

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.