AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been fortunate enough to have just attended that Backstage Las Vegas gathering in association with the Lighting Dimensions show in Vegas. Besides seeing behind the scenes of several shows playing in the city, we toured a lot of venues, one of which was the Star Trek “Borg†attraction at the Hilton.

I’d seen the show before; your standard polarized glasses, big screen, tricked-out seats, amusement park type of presentation. I had always assumed the picture was dual 35mm film projectors.

Bad assumption.

When they spilled the beans, turns out they are 1080x2048 Christie DLP projectors. 3-chips. $75K each. NOW, they had my attention. I immediately went back and watched it again, with and without the glasses, to see just how close to film it was. Especially the black levels.

I must say I was impressed. The star fields, against a black background, were very good. Perhaps not the inky black of a CRT PJ, but at least as good as film. While the polarized glasses increased the CR, viewing without them, and with the light of two PJ’s on a silver 34’ wide screen, the image held its own against film. 35mm film would have had more detail, but that’s an issue of the 1080x1920 spec, not with the PJ or the imagining device.

I don’t know the model number of the Christie’s, the CR spec, the light output (although I think I heard 18,000 lumens each) but I do know that I’m starting to appreciate the DLP engine.

If TI is ever gracious enough to release this chip to us mere mortals, resistance is futile.

John Tyson

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.