AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scenario - the first three zones will require IR remotes with RF capability in a centralized shared cabinet:

Zone 1 - Main Theater room in the basement will have Vizio Razor 80" TV on the wall. The Receiver Denon X3000, Cable Box, BR Player and Sonos will be located in the cabinet below the TV.

Zone 2 - Great Room will also have an Vizio Razor 55" TV on the wall. Audio will run off zone two on the Denon X3000 to in-wall speakers. It will have a second cable box and run off of the same BR Player and same Sonos box as the theater.

Zone 3 - Office will have a TV on the wall and will run off of a powered Sonos Box in the basement theater cabinet with a 3rd cable box plugged into the aux input for TV audio.

Zones 4 & 5 have no TVs or other devices that require IR.

Zone 4 - Bedroom/Bath - Powered Sonos box for music only - Sonos powered box in the shared basement cabinet. I think Sonos app will work here

Zone 5 - Outdoor Deck - Powered Sonos box for music only - Sonos powered box in the shared basement cabinet. I think Sonos app will work here

Id like to have a main remote for the Theater Room, a simpler remote in the Great room and Office. iPhone/Ipad apps will run the Sonos controls for all zones but can't control volume or device selection in zone 1,2 or 3.

Looked through Harmony, but don't want to have to spend $350 for three separate remotes. Wondering if I can Get one Harmony, and run iPhone remote apps on iPhones or iPads in the other two rooms. But how do I divide up discreet codes for three different cable boxes, multiple Sonos boxes, and a two zone receiver so one room is not disrupting another?

I know there will be a lot more qualifying questions, but I'd like to do this the right way without breaking the bank. I'd like to spend less than $1000 for everything and have it very easy to use.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
15,281 Posts
I haven't thought of a complete solution yet. But why can't you control all zones on your Denon. Last time I looked at Denon codes, I saw complete sets of pronto hex for all zones. I'd try to pull those into whatever you're using today (iRule I assume).

Can you draw a picture of all this. It's hard for me to wrap my head around what's local in each zone and what's remote and how many distinct Sonos boxes are involved. I'm not familiar with Sonos. Is it multi-zone? Is it controlled over IP with the app? Does your new remote need to be able to control any of your Sonos boxes at all since you have an app for that?

Your cable boxes will have to be physically isolated from each other and use some kind of addressable IR distribution. Same goes for the Sonos boxes, if they are near each other. I assume the Sonos app can address each box individually today? The Denon shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing local in zone 1 or 2 is the TV. Everything else is in a wiring closet.

I need a remote solution that can go through walls and floors and control only the zone the remote resides in. Example:\

Zone one is the home theater, it will control (I see this being the most full featured of the remotes but with easy to use macros):

On the wall would need IR:

80" Vizio on the wall so all I really need is on-off functionality

In the Closet Would need RF:

Denon main zone surround sound

Cable Box 1

Sonos box 1

Blue Ray Player

Zone two (I see this being a simple remote with Macros to turn on Denon Zone 2 and control the following devices)

On the Wall in the room would need IR:

55" TV on-off functionality

In the closet would need RF:

Denon zone 2 stereo output

Cable Box 2

Sonos box 1 shared with zone one

Same Blu Ray Player shared from Zone one

Zone three (I think I can get by with the TV remote and the web based Sonos control)

On the Wall:

TV on-off and volume

In the closet:

Sonos

Zone 4-5 Sonos will be controlled with the web based apps. No hand held remote needed.

·
Registered
15,281 Posts
Here's my ultra-cheap solution:

- 2 Next Generation RF systems (different frequencies) at $40 each

- Use existing cable remote if they are 5 device and have JP1 pins, otherwise buy two 5-device JP1 remotes at $12 each

- 1 JP1 cable for $8 on ebay

- Remote Master Software $0

Total cost $88-$112

When programming the remotes, load sonos, bluray and cable box codes into both. Load Denon Zone 1 codes into remote 1 and Zone 2 codes into remote 2. Load each TV's codes into each. Program macros as desired.

Mainstream solution would be 2 Harmony Smart's or Ultimate's, programmed as above, $200-$650.

Other options include iRule and various URC remotes. iRule solution is in the $200 range, assuming you don't need a dedicated phone or tablet in each zone. Otherwise add the cost of the additional phone/tablet. URC would be several hundred.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mdavej, thanks for this information but I'm not sure I'm completely following you. This sounds promising, but i don't know what JP 1 is. Can my cable TV remote do macros (I have Cox Cisco Boxes with the big silver remotes)? Can these Cox remotes be programmed? Is that what the JP1 cable is for?

What would be my next step to research this a bit more?

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
15,281 Posts
Yes, like many cable remotes, those are "JP1" and can be programmed from a PC or from the remote itself: macros on any key, secondary (shifted) functions, volume punch through, key copies, key moves, etc. The problem is they're only 3 device. A JP1 cable and software is required to add unusual codes like Denon Zone 2. For more details, follow the wiki link in my signature. You can surpass the 3 device limit using something called multiplexing, or simply buy a 5 device model. The RCA RCRP05BR is a good option, and fully programmable like most other JP1 remotes. Those can also learn, unlike your cable remotes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts