Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comparisons of:

Screen Goo

- Digital Grey Light

- Digital Grey

- CRT White

Stewart

- Greyhawk

- Firehawk (unfortunately accidentally creased)

Projector:

Goo 0.5 DLP Projector

Material:

Foamex was used to ROLL the three Screen Goo coatings. A little water was added to compensate for humidity and temperature of the room.

1/4 nap roller was used for all three Screen Goo.

Digital Grey basecoat was used inconjunction with the Digital Grey Light Topcoat.

Screen Goo were cured for approx. 1 week.

Greyhawk and Firehawk were samples provided by Stewart.

Camera:

Digital Panasonic Limux LC5 Camera

Experimented with different shutter speeds, exposure, apenture, to achieve the most the most accurate picture of the projected image. Anyone have any tips? This would be most helpfull.

Will do a detailed report at a later date. Bit too busy now. Just took pictures for now.

Hope these pictures are helpfull for some.

·
Registered
838 Posts
AAVI, I think what might be helpful is some thoughts in your own words in what the projected image looks like on these colors and textures. Do you have a preference for any particular method of application? Is there a reason we shouldn't just pick the brightest picture we see?

- Chris

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nice dark dusk/dawn scene.

Good to pick out shadow detail in dark scenes.

Hard to take a good image of this with the camera. Doesn't accurately depicts image projected.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by chrispy
AAVI, I think what might be helpful is some thoughts in your own words in what the projected image looks like on these colors and textures. Do you have a preference for any particular method of application? Is there a reason we shouldn't just pick the brightest picture we see?

- Chris
Chris,

i'm trying to get the camera to accurately take pictures of the projected image. i'm having troubles doing that. The images that i've uploaded are the best of the 100 or so images taken.

what i look out for is detail in images. using a grey screen helps bring out the blacks and helps with shadow detail. eg. in fifth element, we see the scientist's pores in greater detail and more realistic on the Digital Grey Light. But we do see a comprimise. Skin tone on the "greyer" screens seems to turn redish. If we directly compare say to a CRT White, the skin tone is alot more realistic and accurate vs a grey screen. White's are also compromised on a grey screen with a slightly tinge of grey, but very minimal. Thou i must say the Goo 0.5 dlp pj looks damn good on a CRT White. The blacks and shadow details are extremely good. I prefer peaker whites than blacks.

Sorry its 1:18am in the morning here and been up all day staring at movies after movies after movies. I'm just rambling on here. Will do something better at a later date.

Screen choice comes down to capability of projector. Projector that suffers from black levels definitely go for grey screens.

PS. Firehawk is impressive. Bit too dark for my liking thou and horrible off axis. Like a RPTV! Greyhawk just blended right into the Digital Grey at most scenes.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
The Digital Grey Lite product can also be used with the CRT White Basecoat, for a lighter grey overall. This tends to make it noticeably closer to the CRT White in 'grey level'. For those who desire just a 'bit' of greying of their screens. with such High CR machines these days, it is in no way necessary to use a darker grey screen.

with the Goo 0.5 projector running at about 85-90" diagonal 4:3 image, the Digital Grey Lite is just about perfect. The other excellent match is a white screen. Not quite perfect blacks on the CRT White screen, but darned close.

PS: Your pre-production sample of the Goo .5 projector is ever so slightly softer in shadow detail and '3-d' effects than the full production version. If you can believe that! The production version is once again, one more magnitude better....

I would also guess that the images are in no way manipulated, and the shots are taken against a white backdrop or wall... with no masking.... and that the black level that you see, is exactly what you get.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thought i'd post some of the star wars ones up...

the projected image is approximately 80". both pj and camera was conveniently hooked up into a htpc. took pictures and directly downloaded them on to harddisk. had a nice setup going!

yah was thinking about making a CRT whitebase with a DG Light topcoat. I think that would be my taste for the Goo 0.5. The blacks are already darn good on the CRT White, very very close to a perfect blacks.

with ambient light in the room, i'd defintely go for the Digital Grey Light with the Digital Grey Basecoat. No doubt that greyer screens combats with ambient light to assist black levels.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Projected image and the screen was mounted on matt white wall. No masking etc.

Images are not manipulated. Just downloaded, shrunk to size and compressed to suit web media.

Thou some images do not accurately depict viewed image due to limitations on the camera and my photography skills!
Hence the yellowy tinge on some scenes.
Appreciate any help in taking a good image!

I'm already pretty impressed with this little projector. Hate to think this is the entry level pj for Goo. It has been far the best and most value pj i've seen so far! Most happy with it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'd have to say I would definately buy the goo over buying a Stewart after seeing these pictures. Probably even more dramatic if I saw them in person.

mmmm.....

I think I really like that Digital Grey Lite,

although none of my previous attempts at painting have resulted in any dramatic difference over my current blackout material. Makes me hesitant on buying any more paint.

·
Registered
637 Posts
How many degrees off axis do you figure the Stewarts were? You would put your eye out if you shot a BB gun at the Goo screens... this has an effect on any reflective material like the Fire Hawk. It would be interesting to see the same pics with the Goo to the outside of the Stewart samples.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wow, nice thread thanx alot!

I think I'll go with the CRT white base and the DGlight topcoat...

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brothermaynard
How many degrees off axis do you figure the Stewarts were? You would put your eye out if you shot a BB gun at the Goo screens... this has an effect on any reflective material like the Fire Hawk. It would be interesting to see the same pics with the Goo to the outside of the Stewart samples.
Or conversely, place the Stewart Samples directly on the Goo samples, so both have the same relative axial reflective component to the analysis.

But as we all should know, no evaluation done in this manner carries much weight. it is fun and all, but 'full screen' analysis is the best trick to getting a handle on a screen's image fidelity. One full screen at a time. Or, at least have the samples be as large as possible, and evaluate in your own system.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
KBK-

I think you should bring the "Goo DLP" and one/some of your screens to the next theater meet in Toronto :) Then we'll see if it's vaguely close to CRT quality.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.