Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have a guaranteed recording of the Today show setup to record on my 4504 every morning. It mostly records fine, but about once a week it starts recording late. Usually on a Thursday or Friday. I don't have anything else setup to record in the early A.M on those days either.

Orginally I thought it was that the originaly 40 gig Maxtor was getting flaky. It was too and finally died last month. I replaced it with an 8 meg cache 80 Gig Western Digital and all the anomalous happenings (unsceduled reboots, freezing / skipping playback) went away except this one.

Anyone have any idea why this is still happening? I have plenty of free space, so that shouldn't be it.

TIA,

Paul

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
How late does it start recording?

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
The replay clock drift is usually not more than 5 mintues in 24 hrs. But... if the replay had a problem connecting to the server and resyncing the clock this could grow to a larger offset.

The strange thing is this should be better earlier in the day since the server sync usually happens in the early AM.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should have put the time delay in my original post, sorry.

This morning (thursday) it started recording 55 minutes late. Last Thursday, I think it was about 90 minutes late.

I have my 4504 setup with Ethernet so it updates the guide pretty quickly and if the thing rebooted itself that would only be 5 minutes or so.

This is probably the 6 week this has happened and never on a Mon, Tue, or Wednesday.

I am running the newest software release for the 4500, 3.50.

Paul

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
1) is the clock on your replay correct? 243-Zones

2) is your channel guide entry correct

3) is it possible your local station is starting the show at a different time

4) if clock and guide entry are correct and it is starting 55 minutes late

then that is very odd behavior, especially since it is Today show in the

morning which isn't likely to be preempted by sports.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I'm really curious what your clock reads. Also check for messages in the menu to see if there were connection problems.

an hour to 1.5 hours is HUGE and the only thing I can think of is you are in one of them funky Daylight Savings/NoDaylight Savings areas, but you'd be aware of something like that...

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
If you're home at the time the recording starts I'd love to know if the red light comes on promptly at 6am/7am (I have no idea what time Today starts).

It's possible you're having signal issues that go away at some point during the recording. If your cable was out from 6:00-6:45 then working from 6:45-9:00 you'd end up with a 2:15 recording with no appearant reason for the missing 45 minutes.

The fact that it's happened several times makes this a weird one.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
It's probably Time Warner. Thay did it to me a couple of years ago. Signal for NBC (how's that for coincidence) would periodically disappear for lengthy periods in the morning. Probably some maintenance issue and they figured nobody was watching that early.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked my clock and the channel guide, they are both correct. This morning The Today Show started recording 1 hour and 25 minutes late.

The last thing to get recorded finished at 4:00 am and the Today show starts at 7:00 am. That should be enough time for it to get ready to start recording at 7:00 am.

I don't have cable (I use an antenna) and my Showstopper is also set to record the Today show and it never misses the beginning.

I think I will delete the channel and set it up again and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for all your input.

Paul

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
1) Both hooked up to the same antenna or different antennas?

2) Look through Today and see if you can tell by the clock NBC displays during the show if you're missing big chunks or little chunks of the show.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, both are hooked up to the same antenna.

The recording is missing one big chunk at the beginning. The clock NBC displays tracks exactly with what time it started recording. In this case 8:26 am.

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.