AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3 very full days with my HS10 (niceling coinciding with a case of bronchitis) this is happened each days now:

The first movie I play looks not so hot. The second starts looking really good about half way through, and the third is absolutely stunning. I rented "South of Heaven, West of Hell" which I was shocked I hadn't heard anything about given its gorgeous cinematography and amazing reference quality transfer. (So what if the movie sucks?)

It was 3rd up last night, so to experiment, I tried it out after a 15 minute or so warm up today. The transfer looked awful.

I've heard reports that bulbs need time to warm up before the pq kicks in - but 3 to 4 hours? The difference is so incredible it might even be worth it if it was at all practical, but for the usual after work movie, I can't see more than a 30 minute warm-up at best.

First question is, are different bulbs known to have different warm up times to optimal performance?

And secondly, since the bulb and projector are new, will the warm up time lessen as the bulb and projector continue to break in?

Of course I'm assuming its the bulb, but maybe those million plus pixels on the LCD panel are what needs to warm up and expand ever so slightly for this to happen?

Aside form pseudo-engineering theories, does anyone have the lowdown on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
That is weird. I can say that with both the Ae100 I have and now the Z1, a 3 hour warmup is not needed. I don't even know if a warmup is needed after the initial "warmup" of the bulb which is about a minute or two. I don't believe I have ever been watching something and sai "gee, this looks much better" after a period of time but hey, maybe there is a longer warmup involved with the two PJs i own. If there is, no way it is more than 30 mins.

The onyl weird thing I have notcied is earlier in the week I went to play some nba2k3 on the ae100 in 720p and it took a few minutes for the projector to sync up as the picture looked a real bad combing effect. that is pretty much it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.