AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
"By the way, if you are willing to pony up $25K or more for high-end home theater performance, Sony will not be the only vendor able and willing to take your money. Another 1920x1080 resolution projector will be announced shortly (probably next month) that will compete directly with the Qualia 004"

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe one of the articles mentioned a JVC LCoS chip and projector at that resolution.

Unfortunately, the Qualia, the JVC and 3 chip DLPs are out of my $ ballpark, but my HT is only a 10'W x 17'L. They might be a bit too much for that size room (or, so I will keep telling myself).

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Robert,

That's what a neutral density filter is for :D

Regards,

·
Registered
280 Posts
The person that showed me the demo said it was someones version of the "Infocus HD2" that was chosen because it was one of the best selling DLP's. It was certainly not a fair comparison. I saw a lot of DLP's at the show leading up to the JVC demo and I have never seen a DLP look that bad. Terrible noise, extremely obvious rainbows and poor blacks. The HX1 was impressive (expcept for the blacks) but it did not impress me that they compared it to such an obviously poor example of a DLP.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Pchong:

The projector that JVC was going head to head with was the Infocus 7200 . Price $7995 retail now. JVC HX1 has a higher resolution chip set and will retail for about $12,000. I saw this comparison and although the screen size was small about 70" diag. or smaller, it was obvious that the Infocus was NOT set-up properly.I came away with the feeling that JVC is starting to panic a little, and justifiably so.

As a side note they were demoing a prototype 1920X1080 DiLA with several stuck pixels. No firm time frame, at least 1 year out and a rumored price between $30,000-$50,000. Ouch! In my opinion Sony's SXRD was much better and is here now and for less money. Not cheap but I think fairly priced.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have to agree with Marck. The JVC shootout using the DLP projector was a joke. JVC should be embarassed for stooping to such a low level to provide this meaningless comparison. They do not need to rely upon such shenanigans to sell their projectors.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
One of JVC's strengths is its ability to drive a large screen, so why would they do a shootout on a measely 70" diagonal ?

A 1st gen HD2 shooting on a large screen ( 10' wide ) will show the HD2's lack of lumens and visible screen door. Now a Sharp 10K on an 8' wide screen is pretty awesome.

- Andy

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Several of us directly compared an SX21 and an SP7200 at Tom Marshalls HT Right before JVC released the SX21. When both these PJs are adjusted properly the SP7200 has a significantly darker black level.

The SX21 had suprisingly good shadow detail/color considering its much lower CR compared to the SP7200. However it did not match the SP7200 in this regard. The SP7200 was set to use the "video" gamma. If you set the SP7200 to one of the "film" gammas, it darkens the shadows and decreases detail and color in them.

The pictures of this comparison that I saw indicate the the SP7200 was not caibrated to maximize its PQ.

Each of these PJs has its strengths compared to the other, but black levels and shadow details were the the SP7200s strengths when I compared these two PJs

·
Registered
82 Posts
interesting reviews esp the hometheatre hi fi one.. Not much mention of the Pana AE500. Looks like the Virtuso did well as usual also the Samsung.

The Optoma H76 looks like something from the 70's!! Let's hope the finished product doesn't look like that!!!

how come no real comment on the benq???

·
Registered
40 Posts
Allen -

Thanks for the info on the Infocus. The last demo I had of the 7200 was in a well setup high end dealer showroom, shooting on a 92 wide Greyhawk...but the image left quite a bit to be desired. The brightness of the PJ was amazing, though, it lit up the screen with no trouble at all. But I find the dark level detail to be poorer than other HD2 PJs I have seen (Marantz S2, Sharp 10k). Didn't like it...but that said, I think the SX21's black levels are even worse.

smallvielle -

what do you mean by the H76 looked like it was from the 70s. Do you mean the PQ, or the industrial design? Is it that large?

·
Registered
82 Posts
meant the aesthetic external design of the case, looks like an old kodak slide projector... no relation to pq or size.

maybe its still a prototype...

as evidenced by virtuso etc you can still make a projector look sexy.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
BenQ wasn't at CEDIA, so that's why you're not seeing any comments on it. I believe the H76 will look exactly like the one at CEDIA, which is a little boxy, but I think most projectors are ugly anyway. The important thing is the PQ and the H76 provided a nice picture at CEDIA, even though it wasn't (admittedly so by Optoma) set up quite right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.