AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 18" SI D2 running off a QSC GX7. Its good...very good, but not leaving well enough alone I picked up another flat pack and found another SI D2 locally so I'm going to end up with 3 D2's. I know my QSC is not bridgeable and not 2 or 3 ohm stable so I'm looking for options in a single pro amp that can run 3 ohm stable to run all three subs. i could just add another amp i suppose but I have to take things apart to do a fan swap or move the amp because of the fan noise so I thought while I had it apart I would try to sell the qsc and pick up something that can run my new set up. Options?

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
What is your budget? Why not consider an iNuke6000dsp or even an iNuke3000dsp. The 6000dsp is only rated for 4 ohm use, but, I have seen several people actually use 3 ohm loads with zero issues. The 3000dsp will handle a 3 ohm load with ease, and should power your subs just fine!

If it were me, I would sell you existing amp, and purchase an iNuke6000dsp and have the added benefit of being able to EQ and use their DSP to really dial in your subs.

Or another possibly more expensive route would be to purchase an IPR2-7500 amplifier and also purchase a balanced 2 by. 4 MiniDsp for DSP/EQ ability. Pick your poison!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007  /t/1526057/3-ohm-stable-amp-for-3-si-d2-18s#post_24574560

What is your budget? Why not consider an iNuke6000dsp or even an iNuke3000dsp. The 6000dsp is only rated for 4 ohm use, but, I have seen several people actually use 3 ohm loads with zero issues. The 3000dsp will handle a 3 ohm load with ease, and should power your subs just fine!

If it were me, I would sell you existing amp, and purchase an iNuke6000dsp and have the added benefit of being able to EQ and use their DSP to really dial in your subs.

Or another possibly more expensive route would be to purchase an IPR2-7500 amplifier and also purchase a balanced 2 by. 4 MiniDsp for DSP/EQ ability. Pick your poison!

I'm thinking the 6000dsp, which was one of my options before buying the QSC. I picked the QSC because I had read that the fan was quieter...not so much imo. I either have to move the amp or replace the fan. While I've got everything apart I might as well look at options. I think I'll pick up the 6000 and plan on a fan swap. I'd think 3 ohm under reasonable loads will be ok...I don't go too crazy with volume. So the 6000 is bridgeable? Any other options?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007  /t/1526057/3-ohm-stable-amp-for-3-si-d2-18s#post_24574560

Impedance is given for the amp because what they are trying to do is limit the current draw. In short, all amps are basically bounded by a box of voltage on one axis and current on the other. As long as you don't violate one of the sides of the box, the amp doesn't give a crap for the most part. Now, this doesn't mean you can put on a 0.1 ohm load...but going down to 2 ohms on a 4 ohm amp is fine as long as you cut your peak voltage accordingly.

·
Registered
333 Posts

Quote:
I know my QSC is not bridgeable and not 2 or 3 ohm stable so I'm looking for options in a single pro amp that can run 3 ohm stable to run all three subs.
Granted this isn't exactly a Pro Sound application ( or forum ); but Pro amps are being used.

To that end: Having had experience in using ( and repairing ) such amps:

The failure rate is higher as the current load increases ( ie low impedance loads )

Of course, there is a correlation with quality and design.

In a pro sound system ( that used dozens of professional amps ) the ones that failed were the cheaper ones.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n  /t/1526057/3-ohm-stable-amp-for-3-si-d2-18s#post_24575724

Impedance is given for the amp because what they are trying to do is limit the current draw. In short, all amps are basically bounded by a box of voltage on one axis and current on the other. As long as you don't violate one of the sides of the box, the amp doesn't give a crap for the most part. Now, this doesn't mean you can put on a 0.1 ohm load...but going down to 2 ohms on a 4 ohm amp is fine as long as you cut your peak voltage accordingly.

I figured it depended on how hard I drove the set up. I don't get crazy cuz i want my ears to last a few more years. I see the Behringer EP4000 is bridgeable to 4 ohm. That looks like a good bang for the buck. States 4000w bridged at 4 ohm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts