AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am friendly with a senior guy at philips who says he can get me one of their new pjs at a very low price. Unfortunately I have limited Info- he says it is a 3 panel thermal imaging pj that is superior to dlps. I have no idea what he is talking about. . Does anybody have a clue?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The link you supplied is to an ordinary SVGA LCD projector. I am very familiar with the XGA version of this projector. For $1,000 it is a fabulous price and you will get a very colorful, cheerful, big and bright picture, however I would stay away from this projector if you are serious about home theatre. The black level on this projector is just slightly better than average and since it is SVGA you will need about 17ft distance eyeball to screen to avoid seeing screen door in your picture. If your friends excellent pricing extends to other Phillips models and you want to forego some image quality for a great price I would recommend the XGA version(for less noticeable screen door and more detail) the Philips cBright XG1 or the cBright XG1 Impact. The colors are very nice with this projector and the Impact is very bright. I would recommend the use of a HTPC, DVDO, or Quadscan with this projector. The onboard video processing is ok but will not provide an excellent picture and only taps into about 70% of the projectors potential.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for you excellent reponse.

Just two further questions

1) Can I use a progressive scan dvd player

2) How do I get around the lack of a component input

Thanks

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
If you want to try a progressive scan DVD Player with this projector you can buy a component video to VGA convertor by Audio Authority or some other company. There is no guarantee that the projector will synch up properly but there is a good chance that it will. Progressive scan DVD Players vary a lot in image quality so you would probably get more predictable high quality results with either a DVDO line doubler, Quadscan video scaler, or a HTPC with a GeForce or Raedon video card.

Lenny Eckian

[This message has been edited by leckian (edited 09-23-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.