AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there are going to be any updates on the Pronto remote? I am about to go for a TSU2000 but, of course, would like to hold off if a replacement model is imminent.

I was thinking that they might be coming out with a color one. However, whether they do or not, might this not be such a good idea because a bright white screen may not be good for a totally dark adapted environment?

Also, any thoughts on "better" devices such as a Crestron or Panja?

Finally, can a palm device effectively function as a fully-functional remote with Pronto-like flexibility?

------------------

ham

·
Registered
221 Posts
Being a Crestron programmer by trade I might be a little bit biased, but Crestron seems to have much going for it right now. At InfoComm, AMX seemed more scared of Crestron rather than talking feature by feature.

Also, Crestron just made driver files availble making it easy to allow a Pronto remote to control a Crestron system through an IR sensor. Very cool stuff.

Just my opinion.

drewman

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ham,

they have released the followup to the 2000 the 6000 (Pronto pro) and it is indeed colour...

go here to check it out!
www.remotecentral.com

good luck

Miles

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys. With the Pronto at nearly $1000, don't the crestron and others look somewhat more attractive? what do they do that the Pronto doesn't?

I have 7 devices and possibly some lighting I may want to control; however, some of the remotes are complex.

BTW, drewman, can you point me to the crestron files you are talking about? Also, have they made their remote codes accessible now? I have a friend who needs access to them as he has been left high and dry by his dealer.

Thanks again.

------------------

ham

[This message has been edited by ham (edited 08-04-2001).]

·
Registered
915 Posts
One of the big things that systems like the Crestron or Niles Intellicontroller or other high-end controllers have is 2-way communication. For instance, if you have a piece of hardware that uses a toggle on/off (like most things do these days), all you can really do with a pronto is send a toggle command. You can't have an 'on' command, because if someone turns the amp on manually, the 'on' command will now turn it off. So complex macros can get confused.

I have a remote with a simple 2 button macro in it for my tv and cable box in my office. Supposedly, when I press the power button it's supposed to turn the TV and Cable box on and off together. But if I'm at slightly the wrong angle, or don't aim the remote long enough, one will go on and one won't. Now they are out of synch, and if I press the button again the one that's on goes off and the one that's off goes on. The only way out now is to go over to the TV and manually turn it on or off to match the cable box again.

Now imagine trying to string together 20 commands in a macro. It can get to be a real problem.

With something like Crestron system that doesn't ever have to happen if it's set up right.

In addition, long macros take some time to execute. So you have to make sure you hold the Pronto or other remote up and aimed at the IR sensors long enough for all the macros to go through. With a high-end system, you just tap the buttons and the macros are taken care of in the background.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the reply.

2-way communication is great, but doesn' t that require an RS-232 or some other kind of communication portal to make it work in each piece of equipmemt? My gear is moderate grade--would a sony DVP 650 changer (simple on/off toggle) have the ability to be controlled by a Crestron without using IR, for instance?

Thanks.

------------------

ham

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ham:
thanks for the reply.

2-way communication is great, but doesn't' t that require an RS-232 or some other kind of communication portal to make it work in each piece of equipment? My gear is moderate grade--would a Sony DVP 650 changer (simple on/off toggle) have the ability to be controlled by a Crestron without using IR, for instance?

Thanks.

There are discrete codes for the Sony DVD Changer, also the "Play" button will actually turn on the player and start playing. A power command after the play command on some players is also a work around to turn a unit off.

Two way doesn't have to be feed by 232. You can also create logic in a program to show you active buttons and a "Now Playing" feedback text for radio stations, Sat. channels, etc......

Another example is a timing issue. Since the Sony 10HT takes a few seconds before it can accept input commands you can create logic for that time as a "Projector Warming Up" page before going to a source selection menu. Endless possibilities.

Dave

------------------

Watch HDTV!!! Nothing else comes close!

[This message has been edited by David Richardson (edited 08-04-2001).]

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hi Ham,

I am a non-professional Crestron programmer-just had to get it going myself-with a little help here and there. I have an extra Crestron STCP and ST1500, both of which are supported by current Crestron software and are dealer demo units that I am selling. My price is $825 for both of them. Note, if you want to, rs232 control is available with this ST-CP control processor.

Let me know by email if you (or anyone else is interested.

Thank you very much

Rich

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ham,

What remote does he have? I might be able to help him out if I knew more details...

Also, Crestron makes two things that help in the "is it on or off? arena. One is a current sensor when hooked up between the wall outlet and the device (i.e. a TV or projector). When the current draw goes up, the Crestron unit knows that the device is on. The other item is a video sensor that you can hook up 4 different composite signals to to let the Crestron unit know if a DVD or VCR is on (you aren't using the composite output anyway, right?).

Crestron also talks to Lutron light controls directly including Lutron's new RA wireless light control system.

Crestron's full blown system (the AV and the PRO) has 6 RS-232 ports, 8 IR ports, 8 relay outputs that allow for contact closures for curtain motors, screen control, etc. It also has 8 digital i/o that can do double duty as analog input (temperature or light sensors for instance). You can also get an optional LAN card that allows you to control it through a standard web browser and let's multiple Crestrons communicate to each other.

The ST-CP that Rich has is a minature version that has two RS-232 controls, 4 IR outputs, and a one way wireless RF input that can be used with their wireless touchpanels including the ST-1500 black and white model and hard button remotes. A very good little package and the price is right too.

Sorry to ramble, but it is what I live and breathe.

drewman

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have useed Omniremote with my Palm M100 which is the cheapest model at only $129. The strength of the built-in IR is adequate from normal seating positions up to about 15 feet. It works beyond this, but you have to point more directly at the equipment. Programming was easy, but it would not learn my Kenwood KR-V990D receiver codes which has a weird frequency. Not to worry, Ony some weird Kenwoods like mine and some Bang & Olufsen have this weird IR frequency. Not to mention a great backlight and the ability to have your entire movie collection stored on a database on your remote/palm. Remember, a Palm is a full function computer with an operating system and lots of software available as shareware to try out.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Drewman hit the nail on the head. Crestron and AMX (I am authorized dealer for both), like the niles intelicontrol and some others, offer sensors to get "Status reports" video sync, current draw, etc. Crestron for instance, has the above mentioned sensors and an IO module with an assortment of contact closures that can be connected to anything: motion sensors, screen motors, shade controls, and all sorts of third party stuff and of course, RS232 is available and great and all that.

I do want to warn people of hidden annoyances. Some DVD players do not put out copmpsite sync when switched to s-vid or component connections. Then, video sync is useless. There are other quirks but I love the crestrons a lot.

Randy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Drewman,

I have a Crestron set-up but I want to modify it myself --it was originally set-up by my HT installer. How does one go about doing this? What software do I need?

If this is impossible, does anyone know (or is) an expert Crestron programmer in New Jersy? How much should it cost me to get a revised set-up (e.g., Sat. buttons, etc)?

------------------

[email protected]

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the Info!

I am contacting Intelligent Interiors to see if I can understand this a little better.

I did look at the Crestron web site and they advertise a windows-based wizard for setting up the unit. My assumption is that it simply enters the individual units into the Crestron; you still have to do the programming for the macros yourself--True?

In general, it seems these macros should be easy to write--true?

What about IR codes--where is a library of crestron commands for the various types of HT stuff? Is there a compiled list one can download?

thanks for the input.

------------------

ham

·
Registered
835 Posts
Drewman, Randy,

My theatre is currently under construction and I was considering a Pronto, but it sounds like Crestron could be price competitive and offer better flexibility. SrgtFury's ST-CP sounds good, but it might be a little too limited for my setup, but at the same time I can't spend a lot of money on the control system. What does the next step up cost (I guess the AV that you mentioned)? I don't imagine there is a retail price list available online somewhere or typical setups?

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you can get a hold of the Crestron software, it has a database of thousands of control codes for various pieces of equipment.

It isn't terribly hard to write code for home theater, my code is written for operating rooms at hospitals and the ability to interconnect between rooms which gets complicated fast.

Crestron is coming out with a new piece of software called Application Builder which makes programming even easier as you just tell it what pieces you are controlling and pick a template - it writes the basic code for you and sets up your touchpanel screens.

Pricing varies quite a bit across the board, but new touchpanels can cost thousands and a new full-fledged controller will be at least $1500.

Crestron does sell packages to dealers that include the smaller ST-CP processor and a wireless touchpanel for a special price. Ask around.

ssands,

Unless you get the code from your installer, you can't change what is on the system already as it is compiled code. You will have to start over from scratch unless you can get the raw files. Check carefully on Crestron's website and I think you'll find you can get the software fairly easily.

Oh, and about the programmer available in New Jersey? Well Crestron is located in Creskill and Rockleigh - they could probably point one out to you or do it for you themselves.

I'm going there next week for advanced training.

drewman

·
Registered
286 Posts
SSands-I am authorized crestron dealer in NYC and would be happy to offer competetive pricing and possibly programming, but my programming skills are limited -it depends what system you have. I don't know what the rules are for dealers on this forum so I don't want to overstep any boundaries. But if it's OK, you can e-mail me directly.

Kam - There is no simple "next step up". You can upgrade the control processor from ST-CP to CNMX-AV for added ports, memory increase, SIMPLE+ programming language, 2-way rs232, etc. You can use bigger touchscreens, you can use 2-way touchscreens. The 2-way receives info from system and displays it. For example CD changer with CD-text output from RS232 can display titles and tracks on your touchscreen remote!

That said, ST system is very powerful by itself and may be more than adequate to your needs.

Randy

[This message has been edited by RF1031 (edited 08-08-2001).]

·
Registered
533 Posts
I am in the middle of building my HT room and this topic is very timely.

For PRS: Are the prices in the Intelligent Interiors page in Canadian dollars?

For Drewman: How does one get hold of the the Crestron software? Does Crestron provide the equipment codes to let us mortals program our own units or are they available in the internet at the Crestron web site? How many pieces of equipment can be controlled by an ST-1550C system? 6? 8? 12?

Thank you.

------------------

cai

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.