AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Onkyo TX-S674 is getting old ,does'nt do True HD audio.I will sell it on eBay for 250.00 + 50 shipping fees.

Reciever's I want to buy only 1 - and have firmware updates - do most of todays codecs like True HD +DTS -MA HD.,from my Samsung BD-P1500.

1.Onkyo TX-SR805

2.Yamaha RX-V1800

3.Pioneer VSX-92TXH

·
Registered
8,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePC /forum/post/14307032

Onkyo TX-S674 is getting old ,does'nt do True HD audio.I will sell it on eBay for 250.00 + 50 shipping fees.

Reciever's I want to buy only 1 - and have firmware updates - do most of todays codecs like True HD +DTS -MA HD.,from my Samsung BD-P1500.

1.Onkyo TX-SR805

2.Yamaha RX-V1800

3.Pioneer VSX-92TXH

I would choose the Pioneer 92 if you can find one, they to me are the most reliable out of the 3 and I have owned 2 of them. I had the Onkyo 805 briefly sent it back because of a heat issue and got the 705 for my upstairs system. Ordered the 92 but sent it back because I am waiting till fall to upgrade the HK

that I am using in my main system, but I will wait till fall now to do this.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I own the Yamaha RX-V2700, and it's a pretty nice unit. The 1800 is likely similar in many ways, but with a different DSP chip (that can decode HBR audio,) and a different Video Processor.

The video processor in the 1800 is likely to be pretty basic. It should work fine for upconverting component video though.

The 1800's HDMI chip likely clips blacker than black, or signal levels below 16. This is almost certainly a non issue for you. It's a hot topic for some, buy Yamaha contends that it's the correct operation.

Power wise, I have been pleased with Yamaha's receivers. YPAO is a little whacky. It sometimes gives you out of phase warnings for no apparent reason, and it's bass management settings seem flawed - it will set all your speakers to large and not send bass exclusively to your sub. I manually correct this on my 2700.

By all means, check out the product specific threads. They are long, but contain feedback from actual owners.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman /forum/post/14307223

I would choose the Pioneer 92 if you can find one, they to me are the most reliable out of the 3 and I have owned 2 of them. I had the Onkyo 805 briefly sent it back because of a heat issue and got the 705 for my upstairs system. Ordered the 92 but sent it back because I am waiting till fall to upgrade the HK

The "heat" concern can be cured with a fan (in my case I use a case fan for a computer) & my Onkyo 805 only gets warm even after extended use. It's my vote for the best bang for the buck, but the supply is dwindling as the 806 is coming. The 805 uses Burr-Brown DSD1796 DAC's on all channels. These are some of the best DAC's currently available IMHO. The 806, I hear, will not have these & it will not be THX Ultra2 certified; only THX Select2. The 805 is only good for video processing so if you need the video I too might look for something with Reon processing.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Think this is going to split along brand-loyalty lines, but I prefer the Pioneer VSX-92TXH out of those choices. While the heat problem on the Onkyo may not affect you, there does seem to be a lot of chatter on the forums about it. Those that own them and haven't caught fire seem to love 'em. =)

The Yamaha and Pioneer are neck-and-neck feature wise. I bought the VSX-94TXH because I wanted the networking, additional power, and additional HDMI input over the 92TXH, but otherwise they're about the same and my 94TXH has been working great.

No firmware updates available for end-users on the Pioneers. If you ran into an issue, it would have to be sent in to Pioneer or a authorized service center for update. On the good side, I haven't seen many people claim to need an update. Check the VSX-92/94 threads for more info.

Greg

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok guys tell me is I should purchase this for now

Pioneer VSX-94TXH A/V Reciever $1200.00

Pioneer DV-48AV DVD Audio SACD Player $130.00

Pioneer BDP-95FD Blu-ray Player $999.00

Pioneer CT-W606DR Cassettte Deck 199.00 YES or NO

Samsung DVD-V9800 Combo DVd and VCR
LOL 89.00 YES or NO

Speakers not yet will get ----- Pioneer SE DIR800C Digital Cordless Dolby Surround Headphones $280.00 till I get my own place

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I would go with a Denon 3808

·
Registered
383 Posts
Agree - 805 has the bets amp by far out of the three.

Also, the heat issue 75% of the time is a result of WAF or dumbness causing people to stuff a heat generating receiver into an enclosed rack with no ventilation.

I have the Onkyo 905 and have not had ANY heat issues whatsoever. Does not run any warmer than my previous receiver, which was Yamaha

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
The heat issue is so overblown its become comical people that have never owned one

are jumping on the bandwagon as an installer I have yet to see them or any other brand

catch on fire I suspect if it did happen the whole story was not told.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recently purchased the Onkyo 805 during shoponkyo's July 4th sale for $476 delivered and it has preformed honorably... I didn't need video processsing capability and the audio is spot-on the best bang for buck processor there is. I was worried about using the internal amp, as I have an external Emotiva LPA-1 that I thought would outperform the Onkyo but I've been pleasantly surprised!
The Onkyo delivers with authority!

·
Registered
771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePC /forum/post/14308289

ok guys tell me is I should purchase this for now

Pioneer VSX-94TXH A/V Reciever $1200.00

Pioneer DV-48AV DVD Audio SACD Player $130.00

Pioneer BDP-95FD Blu-ray Player $999.00

Pioneer CT-W606DR Cassettte Deck 199.00 YES or NO

Samsung DVD-V9800 Combo DVd and VCR
LOL 89.00 YES or NO

Speakers not yet will get ----- Pioneer SE DIR800C Digital Cordless Dolby Surround Headphones $280.00 till I get my own place

I have the Pioneer 94 A/V rec, 48 dvd/sacd player and the 95 blu-ray player....all solid performers.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Who says you can't buy one and return it if you don't like it. Start with the Onkyo, if it runs too hot or doesn't suit your needs take it back and try a different brand/model.

I picked up a Pioneer VSX-94TXH yesterday afternoon. I'm really liking it, and the internet radio is pretty nice, after a few hours of playing with it I don't know how I got along without it...

·
Registered
193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech /forum/post/14309697

The heat issue is so overblown its become comical people that have never owned one

are jumping on the bandwagon as an installer I have yet to see them or any other brand

catch on fire I suspect if it did happen the whole story was not told.

Couldn't agree with you any more. Way overblown. It is certainly the most powerful out of the 3 receivers and prices on them are good since they are being phased out. No question the bang-for-buck choice, especially when it come to audio.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
changed of mind.

Onkyo TX-SR805 719.00

Onkyo DV-CP704B CD DVD Player 160.00

Onkyo TA-RW255 Cassette Deck 130.00

Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray Player 399.00

Samsung DVD-V9800 Combo DVD and VCR LOL 89.00

Pioneer SE DIR800C Digital Cordless Dolby Surround Headphones $280.00

= 1,777.00 not 2,617.00 compare to my recent topic 840 toward speakers

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman /forum/post/14307223

I would of kept the 92 instead of waiting for HK.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ONKYO TX-SR606 .I went cheap only 4 butt bits - wow a nice reciever got it at cc 399.00 no tax 10% off to care of the tax LOL.thru-hd audio really makes a difference i am impressed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts