AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lol this is pretty cool, i wonder how many people got it to work....
Towel Fix

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
So... for 360 owners:

Rule #1: Don't panic.

Rule #2: Always know where your towel is.

Rule #3: Afterwards, your 360 may "wanna go get high?".

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hahaha^

·
Registered
909 Posts
That kind of follows the heat gun approch that is on the web somewhere.

You take the whole thing apart and use some type of heat gun to heat up the system board and cool it back down. Some have claimed it works.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya i saw that, you have to wrap the motherboard(i guess you'd call it that?) in tin foil, then heat it in circular motions, to me....waaaaaay to risky. but hey if it's broken, it's broken.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
LOL someone must have been pissed enough to just say f-it I'm going to wrap a towel around it and fry that POS.. And it turned out to fix it.. Great workmanship.

·
Registered
698 Posts
yea it is possible that heating up the board would fix a cold solder joint I have used this technique for years on all types of old servers that have lots of chips on them

if you have no other choice but to pay a lot of money to get it fixed or cant because you opened it try the heat gun or better than that I use a chemistry oven that can be controlled within .2deg. and heat it up to about 175-190C and let sit for about 1 or 2 min at most and take it out

gently press on the chips with a thermal glove on and apply firm pressure the big chips it is possible to fix it this way any hotter than 190C and you risk burning the chips and or setting fire to the silicon

of corse make sure to mount the board inside the oven properly so as not to let it touch anything but the mounting points

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
If your 360 has red-lighted after monthsa nd months of use this technique wont be of benefit as by then all the thermal compound will have settled and hardened on the chips. However, if it is a cold-soldier issue, then this may fix the problem....albeit in a very, very ghetto fashion

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney /forum/post/0

yea it is possible that heating up the board would fix a cold solder joint I have used this technique for years on all types of old servers that have lots of chips on them

if you have no other choice but to pay a lot of money to get it fixed or cant because you opened it try the heat gun or better than that I use a chemistry oven that can be controlled within .2deg. and heat it up to about 175-190C and let sit for about 1 or 2 min at most and take it out

gently press on the chips with a thermal glove on and apply firm pressure the big chips it is possible to fix it this way any hotter than 190C and you risk burning the chips and or setting fire to the silicon

of corse make sure to mount the board inside the oven properly so as not to let it touch anything but the mounting points

That's good advice! thanks leftkidney

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've actually used this technique. Its been known for a long time now. It is like previous posters said similar to using the heat gun. However, it doesn't work for long. If you get the 3 red rings and do this to "fix" the problem, you're almost always going to get the 3 red rings back within a week.

·
Registered
435 Posts
There used to be a video on Youtube of some guy getting 3 red rings, turning it off, and then hitting the 360 on the side with his hand, and turning it back on with no boot up problems.. It was fairly entertaining...

·
Registered
698 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch /forum/post/0

If your 360 has red-lighted after monthsa nd months of use this technique wont be of benefit as by then all the thermal compound will have settled and hardened on the chips. However, if it is a cold-soldier issue, then this may fix the problem....albeit in a very, very ghetto fashion

the only problem with that is all the thermal paste should be taken off before you do this anyway

also it would be all hardened after only a couple of days of use

I have opened 360's the day they came out and the thermal paste was hard already I only turned it on so I could make sure it worked and played a game for a day

I opened it when it was still hot from playing and the thermail paste was sorta hard but it was hot as well

·
Registered
674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey /forum/post/0

back in the old days we would just blow into our systems or blow the games, lol

LOL right? It's pretty sad actually that i can still get all my old consoles to work. But like you said the games is what used to fail back then! had to blow into them, use a q-tip to clean them, smack the console. LOL it's funny as hell thinking about now. None of us would do any of that **** now!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The most amazing part is, we're paying TONS of money for these video games, and they have so many freaking defects that can't be "fixed" by us, as our old systems used to be. I probably hit my N64 1,000,000 times, and each one because it didn't work, and after 1 hit, it worked

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.