AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an interesting problem that I think others must have encountered before but I can't seem to find any info on the Internet about how to resolve it, so maybe someone here might have some good advice.

I have a triple-LNB dish with a single cable going from the roof to my DirecTV receiver. I also have an over-the-air HD antenna on the roof. I have connected that cable and the cable from the DirecTV dish together with a diplexer and the combined signals go through the single cable into my apartment where a second diplexer breaks the signals back apart to go into the appropriate ports on the back of my DirecTV receiver (OTA HD goes into an RF port and the DirecTV cable goes into one of the Sat ports).

So that's already a two-into-one solution and it works great. But here's the problem... I just bought a new DirecTV Receiver with TiVo (an HR10-250) and I would like to use the second Sat input so that I can record two shows at once (or watch one while recording one, etc). So that means that I would normally need to run another cable from the dish on the roof to my receiver. But that is a bit of a problem because I can't easily bring another cable from the roof to the apartment (for a number of different reasons) so I am stuck with one cable.

So what I am looking for is something that can combine my OTA HD antenna signal, and two DirecTV signals into one cable on the roof, and then break them apart into the three separate signals once it is inside the apartment. Does anyone know if there is something out there that can do this? It doesn't seem like it would be such a bizarre thing for people to want to do but maybe it is.

Any advice is much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
At this time it can't be done, i.e. both distinct Directv signals to the HD Tivo cannot be combined on just one cable. You can only diplex a single sat/ota signal, or a single sat/cable signal on the one cable.

Bish

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Bish. It's not what I wanted to hear, but now I at least know that I'll need to run a second cable if I really want that dual-tuner functionality (which I do). It's a bummer though...

-Tony

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Tony I know what you mean. I'm currently stuck with just the one cable to the HD Tivo as the Directv installer was unable to 'fish' a second line up from the basement; (he did try damn hard for over an hour). This weekend I'll try and see if I can run a line up to the attic and then down to our hearth roon where the HD Tivo lives. I really want/need that second tuner capability. Good luck with your second run of cable.

Bish

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.