AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a PS3. I'm looking at the Onkyo 605 so that I can play the advanced audio codecs on my BD's. If I get this receiver, do I also need to go with a BD player that sends out the codecs, such as the Panasonic BD30, or will the Onkyo be able to do the work from the PS3?

I currently have an old sony htib. If I get the 605 receiver and hook up my old speakers to it, will I notice any difference at all with the new audio codecs as compared with regular lossy DD/DTS or will it not sound any better at all? I ask this because I can't upgrade speakers and receiver all at once.

Lastly, with the 605 is it required to have a 7.1 setup or can you also have 5.1 and still get satisfactory sound?

·
Banned
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeHTMan /forum/post/12944200

I currently have a PS3. I'm looking at the Onkyo 605 so that I can play the advanced audio codecs on my BD's. If I get this receiver, do I also need to go with a BD player that sends out the codecs, such as the Panasonic BD30, or will the Onkyo be able to do the work from the PS3?

The only codec the PS3 can't handle is DTS Master Audio, so you will have to decide if that's important to you. Nobody knows if the PS3 will be able to handle it in the future.

Quote:
I currently have an old sony htib. If I get the 605 receiver and hook up my old speakers to it, will I notice any difference at all with the new audio codecs as compared with regular lossy DD/DTS or will it not sound any better at all? I ask this because I can't upgrade speakers and receiver all at once.

No difference since your receiver cant handle the HD audio stuff. Your player will convert the codec into lossy DD or DTS.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSMP /forum/post/12944204

No difference since your receiver cant handle the HD audio stuff. Your player will convert the codec into lossy DD or DTS.

I realize my current receiver can't handle the HD codecs, however the purpose of me buying the Onkyo 605 is because it can handle the codecs. I'm just wondering if I will notice any difference in my older speakers before I'm able to upgrade them in the near future?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Note that the PS3 can playback DTS-HD Master Audio tracks, but only handles something called the core audio; which has lower fidelity.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/12944747

Note that the PS3 can playback DTS-HD Master Audio tracks, but only handles something called the core audio; which has lower fidelity.

I believe the core is just regular DTS

·
Registered
6,288 Posts

Quote:

The latter, although the 605's decoders won't be needed since the PS3 does the work.

Quote:
I currently have an old sony htib. If I get the 605 receiver and hook up my old speakers to it, will I notice any difference at all with the new audio codecs as compared with regular lossy DD/DTS or will it not sound any better at all?

If you can hear the difference between a DVD-A (or cd) and a good .mp3, then you might notice an improvement. It's not life-changing, it's incremental. You will get far better sound with new speakers and regular DD/DTS than you will with lossless and a HTIB.

Quote:
Lastly, with the 605 is it required to have a 7.1 setup or can you also have 5.1 and still get satisfactory sound?

The latter. Note that very, very few movies are 7.1.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Amen to what Jack says.

I don't see DTS-MA in very many Blu Ray discs. In fact just yesterday my wife and I watched Dr. Strange. It says it is DTS-MA but my receiver detected it as regular DTS. Yes, my receiver has the DTS-MA codec. I'm not sure all these lossless codecs are as important as many people think or even as available.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm in the same boat as the op. I have a ps3 but my Denon 3803 lacks HDMI. I was dead set on an Onkyo 805, but after reading about the PS3's lack of support for advanced audio, I'm not sure it will make a damn bit of differance. Anyone want to set me straight?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourgrandma /forum/post/12946378

I'm in the same boat as the op. I have a ps3 but my Denon 3803 lacks HDMI. I was dead set on an Onkyo 805, but after reading about the PS3's lack of support for advanced audio, I'm not sure it will make a damn bit of differance. Anyone want to set me straight?

I just finished watching Lost Season 3 on my ps3. It has a DD 5.1 soundtrack and an uncompressed PCM soundtrack. The DD soundtrack is 640Kb/sec of data. The uncompressed PCM soundtrack is 4.6Mb/sec of data. Without a receiver that supports multichannel pcm over HDMI, you can only get the DD 5.1 track. Trust me, the uncompressed PCM sounds better.

The same is true for disks with DD+ and TrueHD soundtracks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's good to hear. Amazing that im glad im missing out on something, huh? The lengths we go to to justify an upgrade...

·
Registered
12,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeHTMan /forum/post/12944200

The 605 is a great value and as of now is the lowest cost HDMI 1.3 with on-board HD audio codecs... (I think
..)

However since it has a single TI DA708 DSP it has limited processing resources and cannot post-process a 5.1 native HD stream to 7.1. If this is important to you step-up to the 705, which has 3 TI DSPs DA710, DA708 & DA707.

Hope that helps..

Just my $0.02..

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW /forum/post/12945845

Amen to what Jack says.

I don't see DTS-MA in very many Blu Ray discs. In fact just yesterday my wife and I watched Dr. Strange. It says it is DTS-MA but my receiver detected it as regular DTS. Yes, my receiver has the DTS-MA codec. I'm not sure all these lossless codecs are as important as many people think or even as available.

My issue with not having DTS-MA... I don't want my content to be limited in the future. As with DTS, Many concerts/music came out in this surround format only. I am sure you will see the same thing with DTS-MA.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thats not how I ment that. I was just starting to get pissed because I thought I'd be limited to crummy audio regardless of my receiver. I want to upgrade, that comment was self depricating.

I am bitter, though, as I wish I could get the full benefit of BluRay through the ps3, but glad there's something t be gained by upgrading my receiver.

I certainly meant no disrespect, like I said, I'm in the same boat.

I have a full seven channel suit of speakers, and it sounds like I might not hear some of them unless I watch standard dvd, I guess I'm a little concerned.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourgrandma /forum/post/12947731

Thats not how I ment that. I was just starting to get pissed because I thought I'd be limited to crummy audio regardless of my receiver. I want to upgrade, that comment was self depricating.

Crummy is probably an overstatement. To me the differences between these various audio schemes is subtle at best. I never thought movie audio was that good in the first place.

Quote:
I have a full seven channel suit of speakers, and it sounds like I might not hear some of them unless I watch standard dvd, I guess I'm a little concerned.

Currently you won't hear some of them except in rare circumstances. There aren't very many movies available with 7.1. You can matrix the surrounds to the back, however, and that will get the speakers playing.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts

Quote:
I am bitter, though, as I wish I could get the full benefit of BluRay through the ps3, but glad there's something t be gained by upgrading my receiver.

Yup, HDMI will allow you to hear lossless audio from the PS3, just not the MA flavor of DTS...yet. 1.3 won't benefit PS3 owners as it can't bitstream to those decoders...no new lights to see.

Quote:

To FMW's point above, there are very few 7.1 BD movies. So, for 7.1 PS3 owners who want to use all the speakers, the ability to expand 5.1 LPCM to 7.1 is the most important feature, more important than onboard decoders. Sometimes you have to make a choice, but if the budget allows a receiver that does everything, then go for it.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taker /forum/post/12944759

I believe the core is just regular DTS

I believe even just the core is about a doubling of the max bitrate, if not more . That's quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW747 /forum/post/12946334

Fox seems to be publishing movies with DTS-HD/MA...

I think that every Fox title has Master Audio, well the 28 listed here (you can use the filter):
http://www.blu-raystats.com/stats.php

For new PS3 users, its been said here already, but all you need is audio-enabled HDMI. Doesn't have to be 1.3, and you don't decoders, because the PS3 is internally unpacking.

For the OP, while the new codecs will/should make a difference, I would worry about that last before your choices of speakers, sub, amp section, and even room acoustics. Puttin top-feul into a Yugo still does not make it Formula 1.

fwiw, I recently received my first batch of BDs from Amazon. I didn't look at the codecs before purchasing. I have 7 w/ PCM, 5 with MA. Of the 5 MA, 2 are 6.1, 2 are 7.1. I have one PCM track with 7.1. I only have one T-HD track.

I also completely agree that the ability to matrix PCM for the rears is way more pertinent than decoders for 7.1 users.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've calmed down considerably now. If what I'm reading above is correct, I'll only be missing MasterAudio?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourgrandma /forum/post/12950562

I've calmed down considerably now. If what I'm reading above is correct, I'll only be missing MasterAudio?

That is correct, you will only be missing the "extension" bitstream. I believe MA is actually two concurrent streams, one being the "core" and the other "extension". The "core" is still a large increase in bitrate. If I Remember Correctly, out of my butt, I want to say DD is 448 kbs, DTS 768, and "core" is double that. I think*. However, the first two numbers are slightly increased for BD as opposed to SD, which is interesting. Just fyi, they are max rates, as they are variable to help save space.

However, you still need an HDMI receiver to access the others like TrueHD I believe. Not necessarily the decoders in the receiver. Not necessarily HDMI version 1.3. Just audio enabled HDMI receiver. I think*

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I am very sure that Sony is not going to buy DTS-HD from DTS and give it to people for the playstation 3. Well, unless you want to pay for it, then maybe. Or... you will be able to get it free if you buy a new PS3 in the future. But you never know...

If you have a new receiver/prepro with HDMI that you purchased in the last 2 to 3 years, I probably would not buy a NEW receiver ether. Unless you need DTS-MA now and you want to buy a new BD player.

If you want more HDMI ports, more Flexibility/functionality for the same or a lower price then your original purchase, buy a new receiver. It's technology moving forward, no reason for a Sticky. Or to beat someone over the head for doing it. I have lived and loved bleeding edge technology, still great, but the manufacturers have moved on.

Its simple

Hey, it say allot when people are selling their Anthem D2's for a Integra 9.8 or, an Onkyo 905. And I am not telling anybody to buy equipment out of their price range, it is just an example

1 - 20 of 37 Posts