AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was reading reviews of the new generation of 3 chip DLP projectors. As a person who "sees the rainbow" and finds that the single chip DLP projectors give me eye strain and a headache I was hoping that the 3 chip DLP projectors, without the color wheel, would cause me much fewer problems, with the exception of being VERY expensive. Thus a thought came to mind.

Why not use 3 single chip DLP projectors each displaying a single color (RGB), much like a CRT projector. If the projectors each have RGB input, I should easily be able to feed one color to all three inputs on each projector. Then I could remove the color wheel and replace it with a single color filter. Offset for each projector could be used to converge the image.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
918 Posts
There have been plenty of previous threads on this. Off the top of my head:

Pros

1. A heck of a lot cheaper than any current 3 chip DLPs out there. (Big hint to OEMs).

2. bright

3. no rainbow/eye strain

Cons

1. Cost of replacing 3 lights at once

2. Alignment and keystone adjustment

3. Color correctness for 3 seperate lamps drifting over time

4. Significant heat output

5. Contrast would probably suffer

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think somebody already was trying it with plus projectors, because they have B&W setting where they shoot true white segment only. You cold set that and than disconnect color wheel and set it to different color each and feed them separated RGB. Only you wood need to disconnect terminators on vertical and horizontal drives on two and just live one at the end. This will only work with RGB sources not component.

Artur.

·
Registered
146 Posts
One of the biggest drawbacks would be that you'd have to rewrite the firmware for the projectors to flip the mirrors appropriately for the new Red-Red-Red colorwheel. Otherwise it'll still be doing Red-Off-Off, as the projector will think it still has a colorwheel in there.

But what if you just stacked 2 DLP projectors with no mods and split the signal between the two? If the projector synchronizes the colorwheel so it is timed with the incoming signal, then there would be a brighter image but still the same rainbows.

HOWEVER if the projector synchronized displaying the image based on whatever segment of the colorwheel is available, then it would be random chance that they would both be displaying the same color at the same time. That means Projector-A could be drawing BLUE while Projector-B is drawing RED. This could dramatically reduce any rainbow effects, but it would be pot luck each time you turn on your projectors.

Does anyone know how the synchronization works? I suspect the second scenario I mentioned is the case because it seems easier to just change the order of drawing the picture than to speed up/slow down an analog spinning wheel and get it to just the right timing.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tracy, I think you misunderstood. I want to take a single color ( red for example) from the source and connect it to all three color inputs on one DLP projector. Then I replace the color wheel with a single color filter, or perhaps replace the G & B filters with the R filters from the other 2 projectors ( this is perhaps the way to go as the filter colors will be correct)

Regards,

·
Registered
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sailn
Tracy, I think you misunderstood. I want to take a single color ( red for example) from the source and connect it to all three color inputs on one DLP projector. Then I replace the color wheel with a single color filter, or perhaps replace the G & B filters with the R filters from the other 2 projectors ( this is perhaps the way to go as the filter colors will be correct)

Regards,
Interesting. As long as the impedance of the "split" cable was corrected, wouldn't this work? Anyone?

Don't most color wheels have a "white" segment, or are the 3 colors combined in most cases?

Why dont you just go out and buy 3 DLP units and let us know how it turns out? :)

Steve

·
Registered
918 Posts
If you actually try this, you may have to figure out how to either disable the color wheel or how to fake them actually turning with what ever they use to sync with the mirrors.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Interesting idea! With the availability of "cheap" DLP projectors like the X1 and NEC LT2xx series, you'd think someone would have tried it by now. :)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I'd hang out and wait for someone to produce a $10K 3-chip projector if I were you. Sounds like less trouble, better image, and likely to happen soon enough due to competition.

Mark

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TracyInCary
One of the biggest drawbacks would be that you'd have to rewrite the firmware for the projectors to flip the mirrors appropriately for the new Red-Red-Red colorwheel. Otherwise it'll still be doing Red-Off-Off, as the projector will think it still has a colorwheel in there.
You could feed each projector a singler color on each input, i.e. RED, RED, RED and disable the wheel, use a filter instead.

There is an easier way for a better picture. CRT!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not to mention the nightmare of trying to make adjustments to the projectors via the remotes. Unless you are extremely patient, this would have to be the biggest underlying drawback of the idea. Remotes are painful as it is, but the mind boggles at the potential for frustration here.

Yo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.