AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 boxes- 2 Sony's and 1 RCA. each with own cords and keyboards. None of them were upgraded. Pretty sure they each fine- although I pretty much used one tuner on each. Need to get rid of them. Any interest?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
After your recent PM do you have any UTV(s) left? You never mentioned, but I'd assume each UTV had a Remote (along with Keyboard).

A "Tuner Check" that both Tuners are OK would be nice and if the UTV OS has been updated to 3.8 or not would be good to know.

I might be on the market for another "spare" UTV in the future.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I know. I'm really shocked at how few UTVs I've seen on ebay recently too.

I'm getting old. I remember back when UTVs were EVERYWHERE! and people would Warranty Tuners and DOA. Now it's like I've got this thing called a UTV... You want it? Give me .99 and $30 to ship it and you can have it . AS-IS. Rip off central.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Since I just replaced one utv with my last spare, I'm again looking for another one. I lost 3 auctions by $1 - it seems like it's me and one other all the time and I give up first.

But there's been a few and they've sold for about $50-70 total including shipping costs.

I've asked 3 sellers about tuners so far, and most don't have a way to test them. One guy said he knew both tuners were working because he could record one show while watching another
and he didn't respond when I asked, "how about recording 2 while watching another".

But right now, there's a couple of utvs for sale, one with an upgrade. Myself, I want to find one w/o a remote or the access card, as I'm looking for a cheap one for backup. I can wait till I get a good deal.

There was one unit that the seller said was essentially new. I guess that would be a good deal since it probably means the 2 tuners will last a while. My last used unit only lasted about 1.5 years before a tuner went.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
At $50-70 a pop... (and the most recent 110hr upgrade I saw was like $180 Buy Now) with my supply of " dead/dying spares" I should probably just swallow hard and put down the $130 or so to repair the tuners and take comfort in knowing they are "good".

Since my last pair of "spares" that I got on this forum were each down a tuner and one was unstable (green light of death)... the current crop of Ebay UTVs aren't looking very promising.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I second that. Turns out the unit I bought off of eBay last month had an outstanding balance on its old owner's account. DirecTV gave me the impression when I re-activated it with my own card that the balance would not stand. However, it still showed up on my bill this month. I think my wife is insistent on going the HR16 route from here forward.

·
Registered
162 Posts
eea123, unless you need a new card, why bother activating replacement UTVs? That is only asking for trouble. Just swap your existing card to the new UTV and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
blimey,

Good catch. I was debating that issue myself. To "swap" or "not to swap" cards. That is the question. One way should be quick and painless... the other might be "official" but I might have to PAY for a new card ($20) and deal with down time and dealing with CSRs.

It's a real Catch-22.

·
Registered
162 Posts
yeah, buddy - you got that right. I don't want to be calling directv and have them yelling at me about how they don't know what utv is, or that they no longer offer it, or if I even get further than that, how I have to extend my contract and/or lease the thing that was never lease-able. Calling directv should be a last resort in all cases.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimey /forum/post/14192195

eea123, unless you need a new card, why bother activating replacement UTVs? That is only asking for trouble. Just swap your existing card to the new UTV and be done with it.

Swapping my existing card into the "new" UTV is exactly what I did. I had DirecTV marry my card to the S/N of the UTV after they ran a check on the UTV unit and found an outstanding balance on the old account. I was offered to pay down the balance or buy a new card for $20. It was at this point I offered up my card from the box I was swapping out the UTV for. "Sure we can do without the cost of a new card." Well there you go! 30 days and an invoice latter, I'm back on the horn with DirecTV.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eea123 /forum/post/14194187

Swapping my existing card into the "new" UTV is exactly what I did. I had DirecTV marry my card to the S/N of the UTV after they ran a check on the UTV unit and found an outstanding balance on the old account. I was offered to pay down the balance or buy a new card for $20. It was at this point I offered up my card from the box I was swapping out the UTV for. "Sure we can do without the cost of a new card." Well there you go! 30 days and an invoice latter, I'm back on the horn with DirecTV.

Well, your mistake was having DirecTV marry it rather than just resetting via auto-phone system /or website which accomplishes the same thing.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimey /forum/post/14194542

Well, your mistake was having DirecTV marry it rather than just resetting via auto-phone system /or website which accomplishes the same thing.

Not too familiar with the Catch-22. It isn't exactly "the same thing". DTV isn't exactly aware of the "swap". Keeping with the marriage theme think of this "swap" like Bigamy.

DTV thinks you are "married" to an RCA UTV. But it's tuner(s) aren't that great so you got yourself a "new" Sony UTV with good tuners AND a bigger hard drive. You tell DTV if they ask the RCA is doing fine... but the Sony is doing all the work. You can take precautions to prevent DTV from finding out... but it might only take a call "home" from the Sony to screw things up. Living a lie might not be worth the $20 or the HOURS on the phone with several CSRs to try and get things straightened out properly.

With that said for "Short-Term" use I'd agree a card "swap" is the easiest option.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave /forum/post/14195366

Not too familiar with the Catch-22. It isn't exactly "the same thing". DTV isn't exactly aware of the "swap". Keeping with the marriage theme think of this "swap" like Bigamy.

You're correct. I should have qualified my remarks. I meant "the same thing" in the sense that the replacement UTV would married to the card either way.

I haven't had a POTS phone line in more than two years, so I forget that most subscribers probably still connect their IRDs to a phone line. I agree that if you have a phone line connected, then a bigamist style swap should be avoided.

I've been cycling through UTV units like chiclets the past couple of years. I have 4 on my account, and 5 have failed (1 had its replacement fail). Being a bigamist saves a lot of time and trouble in keeping all 4 outlets up. I've already decided that as these 4 fail, I will just give up on UTV for that outlet.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimey /forum/post/14195449

You're correct. I should have qualified my remarks. I meant "the same thing" in the sense that the replacement UTV would married to the card either way.

I haven't had a POTS phone line in more than two years, so I forget that most subscribers probably still connect their IRDs to a phone line. I agree that if you have a phone line connected, then a bigamist style swap should be avoided.

I've been cycling through UTV units like chiclets the past couple of years. I have 4 on my account, and 5 have failed (1 had its replacement fail). Being a bigamist saves a lot of time and trouble in keeping all 4 outlets up. I've already decided that as these 4 fail, I will just give up on UTV for that outlet.

Got 7 DVRs (6 UTV,1 DTivo) in service. I too haven't been keeping them all connected to the land line. It's already a rat's nest where I keep most of them now. Dealing with the phone splitters and cables had been a hassle.

Got TWO UTVs that are in "bad" shape so those might get swapped for a "good" one. Might give me a bargaining chip with DTV. "This one gets it! Just give me a FREE Access Card or "Swap" and we'll be fine. If I got to pay... I'm pulling the plug on one...

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave /forum/post/14195488

"This one gets it! Just give me a FREE Access Card or "Swap" and we'll be fine. If I got to pay... I'm pulling the plug on one...

Near my exact words to DirecTV during my setup call to them.

"Sir, that unit has $XX of Pay-Per-View balance on it. Would you like to settle that right now or with your first monthly statement?"
"Neither, I will just dump it in the trash. I only paid $18 for it on eBay."

"Well, I can send you a new card for $20 with no balance."
"If you zero the account on a new card, could I have you transfer my current card to this box and save the expense of a new card and not be subject to the outstanding balance?"

"Yes, I can do that."
"Great, let's do that."

Don't do that. $XX dollars of outstanding Pay-Per-Views still showed up. Resolution was a scolding not to buy equipment off of eBay and a discount for 6 months to offset the Pay-Per-View since I had been a good customer since 1997.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eea123 /forum/post/14196187

Don't do that. $XX dollars of outstanding Pay-Per-Views still showed up. Resolution was a scolding not to buy equipment off of eBay and a discount for 6 months to offset the Pay-Per-View since I had been a good customer since 1997.

Yep,

Like you I'm a DTV customer for over 10 years and as the UTVs are almost as old it's getting hard to deal with DTV on these units. As another member recently reminded me a couple years ago CSRs were giving UTVers grief activating/swapping accounts. I had an issue a few months back during a hard drive upgrade where my MSNTV/WebTV "account" was preventing the UTV OS download. It took me A LOT of time getting shuttled back and forth between MSNTV and DTV before they fixed that issue. In the mean time DTV was telling me the UTV was no good and I should just junk it and they'd send me another.

Shows what they know about what these units are/aren't actually capable of. If it doesn't follow the Troubleshooting guide... it's junk. (Much easier/faster to replace then to diagnose.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts