AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still in shock at what happened to our UTV receivers today. Late this afternoon I turned on a TV and realized that my RCA UTV was dead. Its old - I was one of those yr 2000 subscribers so I thought maybe it had run its course - disapointing but it was not one of our 2 prime UTV receivers....whew. So hours later I turn on the TV in our family room and the Sony UTV is dead - same thing with our bedroom RCA UTV. Strangly, we do have a few TIVOs hooked up to Direct TV and they all work fine. Our electricity flickered today (as it has hundreds of times) and we have a 16 port mult-switch that plugs in and also still works b/c I can see Direct TV through the Tivo boxes. As many of you might understand, this is devastating to us - all those shows still on the HDD and worse, the chance that we might be done with UTV forever. DirectTV said they wanted to send someone out because it was very strange that 3 failed at the same time. They also offered to send out replacement DVR boxes. We are not interested in a "replacement" to UTV. Can anyone think of any reason this might have happened??

·
Registered
719 Posts
When you say dead, do you mean it won't even turn on? If all 3 have the same problem, that is really strange.

As always, when in doubt, unplug from power for 30 minutes and try again. Try turning them back on unplugged from the sat feed (including any multiswitches) as well.

I wonder if they all got spiked? I think the utv power supply is similar to pc power supplies that when "stressed" can shut down for a while and require disconnection from power which lets them reset themselves.

If they can turn on, but can't receive a signal, one would then try to plug in a utv directly to the lnb line bypassing any multi switches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I had read the posts that said to unplug for 30 minutes and did not think that 3 dying could possibly be the same issue.....that would be too coincidental - right?

Because this was clearly a "power issue" , I opened the boxes and checked the fuses which were Ok. As a last resort I unplugged them all for 10 minutes and ...they work now. I must have had a power spike but I have both RCA and Sony AND I am completely baffled how both models had the same dead UTV syndrome (which has never occured before) and the other Tivo receivers are fine?

So we started UTV in 2001 and this forum in the last 24 hours has extended our DirectTV subscription (would have moved to Comcast if UTV went away) The fix was something DirectTV could not provide - not surprising. I hope we can hang on another few years - we are completely addicted and dependent on the UTV interface and features....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
cermakb,

You can't fathom the horror I was imagining in my head... like someone came into your house and executed your pet dog... then the cat... then the kids hamster(s)...

Pure Senselessness!

Anyway FYI, besides the minor main board design and functional differences between RCA and Sony UTVs they are largely considered "identical" in behavior for 99% of situations.

Personally I find the "peel on" Heat Sinks RCA uses on it's UTVs to be one big difference yet I'm not sure if anyone has found much advantage to them vs Sony's "Naked" approach. Might have to do with how the Sony UTVs were more expensive and less common. (For some of us UTV late comers 2002-2003... $50-$100 RCA UTVs were hard to pass up!) So heat problems on Sony UTVs might just be harder to verify.

As for your "Power Issue" you might consider buying UPS (Battery Backup) strips for your UTVs and Tivos... They can sometimes be had for $20-$30 on sale and run a UTV for 10 minutes or so (depending on the UPS capacity... UTVs are usually use around 40 watts as I recall) which should be enough to weather most temporary power loses. Even if it isn't it does provide a "buffer" to the equipment.

You also didn't mention... but since you had this "scare" now... Have you taken the time to blow the dust out of each of the UTVs? Possibly consider Hard Drive upgrades to 120-160GB (You didn't mention if you've upgraded any of them or not)... Elevated them with bottle caps and taken care to maximize good Air Flow, etc...

Many more Happy UTV Years to you and yours!

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Sounds like the standby circuit didn't reset after a power sag or quick outage, which can usually be fixed by unplugging for just 10 sec. or so. Also happens even to dehumidifiers and lots of other devices with touch-pad controls and standby power (for setting memory, etc.).

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
wajo,

In other words the UTV and various other devices will "standby" in an OFF condition to wait out a power event? Instead of staying "ON" the entire time and take the brunt of any power spikes/dips. For some reason it didn't "wake up" from this event?

Sounds reasonable and a good idea to protect the system. To bad they don't warn the customer about this "safety feature" in BIG LETTERS!

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
I think the standby circuits in things that work that way just lose their base memory of the settings you made, like my dehumidifier... it'll start up and the fan will run after a power outage but it won't turn the compressor on to restart the humidifier action. I have to unplug for just a few sec, let the light(s) go out on the touch pad panel, then plug back in, and everything works properly again.

There've been a number of people with DVDRs who thought their units were "dead" after a power problem and got full functioning back with a simple replug procedure to reset their standy ciruits. Always a good thing to try after a power outage!?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If by DVDRs you meant DVR (Or UTV) then yep... The "No Video"/Dead UTV is sometimes fixed with a simple unplug for some period of time... Some of us have attempted more in depth "fixes" (remove/reseat fuse and/or various Ribbon Cables in the UTV) to try the same thing. If it was just a reset of the "standby" circuit or reseating of the cables/fuse... who knows. What ever does the trick I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts