AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 18 years ago, I built my 3-way speakers using one tweeter, midrange and a 15 woofer. Didn't really do any research or matching the crossovers. Non-the less, it sounded great. Deep clear bass and an overall good quality mid and tweeter. It is time to upgrade and I'm looking for some recommendations and advise.

I would like to build a high end set (preferably to stay with the 15 woofer). Can anyone recommend some makes and models that will be a good match as well as enclosure measurements? I can design my own crossovers once I know which drivers I'll be using.

I primarily listen to Jazz so a good quality bass is very important to me.

Your recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Today active xovers are cheap and you can do a lot more with them then you ever could a passive xover. You can then build a really good active design with separate amps for each component. You'll find that you accomplish a lot more when you can dial in the power and eq to each driver individually and you can use a larger variety of speakers that may have very different power requirements. Subwoofers take a lot more than tweeters for example.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Today, it's easier than ever to find a superb passive design out there. No need for all the extra cost, complexity, and noise in the system by going active.

Seriously, I don't know much with 15's. Biggest I've done uses dual 10's.

I've done a 3-way WMTMW that would be superb with a 15 under, or on either end, of the cabinet (for SWMTMW(S))

C

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
CJD's RS 3-ways http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=11873

or CJD's Khanspires: http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=26309

I get plenty of bass with the Khans in my room for all but movie sound effects. If not deep enough bass for you, the Khans can be built abut 2" deeper and ported. I'm not sure how much large the RS 3-ways would need to be for a ported design.

These don't have 15" drivers, but you really don't want to do that. You want a high quality 8 or 10" driver that can play up to the midrange driver and a dedicated sub that does 0-60hz w/ a huge xmax 15" driver.

·
Registered
379 Posts
CJD I ran though your thread and was looking for the total price of the drivers/crossovers, but didnt see it. Do you remember what you paid?

thx

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Titch,

Here is what I saw concerning cost of those. Check out the link below. Hope this helps.

Notes:

1) Price listed is typically the cost of the drivers and recommended crossover components at the time of original construction. Prices typically do not include required items, such as: the enclosures, wood, binding posts, poly fill,etc.

2) Prices listed are for a PAIR of speakers.

3) Designer typically references the crossover designer.

Khanspires

Design:3-way WMTMW, Sealed

Price:$620 - $650

Size: 11"Wx54Hx14.5"D

Tweeter: Dayton RS28a (Aluminum Dome)

Mid: Dayton RS150 (6"Aluminum Cone)

Woofer: Dayton RS225 (8"Aluminum Cone)

Designer: CJD

Other Design Notes:

Related Designs: Khanspire Center

Comments: THE BEST SPEAKER EVER! Little brother to the Dayton RS 3-ways.

http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=28655

·
Registered
473 Posts
The larger 3-ways run around $1000 give or take. Copper costs have changed prices since I did mine, and I also bundled the bulk 10uF GE caps from Madisound for the large values.

·
Registered
379 Posts
OK thanks guys

I just like the idea of having the larger drivers. I also like that both woofers are at the bottom of the cabinate. That personally looks better.

EDIT: I got a question.

I was just thinking about those 2 different setups and was wondering how much of the sound is affected (or at all) by having the speakers set up different in the mtmww & wmtmw

cheers

·
Registered
473 Posts
Subtle, but present. Lobing is definitely different. WMTMW is more flexible though - you could shorten the cabinet height, make it deeper to make up the volume, and put the resulting cabinet on top of a nice big sub.

50" was a hard limit on height for the WWMTM design, not my own - I probably would have gone WMTMW on that one otherwise. On the other hand, boundary reinforcement helps it reach a little bit deeper with the woofers near the floor. Crossing to a sub this is a non-issue. Without... I like having 30Hz distinct (though still down).

C

1 - 9 of 9 Posts