AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been scouring the forums and have not been able to find an answer to my question.
Most responses are from years ago, and there seems to be contradicting information.

Question:

I have 2 in ceiling speakers in my great room, 2 in the kitchen and 2 in the master bedroom. (6 total, 3 zones.) Kitchen and bedroom have in wall volume control. Also considering adding a sub-woofer in the great room.

Is there a receiver out there that will play audio to all three zones?
I would like to be able to play different sources in all zones at the same time, i.e. FM radio zone 1, CD zone 2, Airplay Zone 3.
I would also like to be able to play 1 source to all 3 zones at the same time i.e. Airplay zone 1,2,3.
I am interested in finding a receiver that powers all 3 zones and does not require an external amp.
I would also like all zones to have the option of being controlled via the receivers Apple IOS APP.

Currently do not have a surround set up, not too concerned with it, may install something down the road so if the receiver also can run a 5.1 system in the great room that would be an added bonus.

Hoping to find something in around the $1000.00 mark but will pay more if I can find something that will do what I want.

I have been searching for a 2 or 3 source, 3 zone receiver but have not been able to confirm any brand will do this for sure.
A lot seem to suggest Airplay wont work in zone 2 or 3, or that the outputs for zone 2 and 3 cannot be digital sources, or that zone 2 and 3 will play mono only.

I'm totally fine with say a 9.2 channel receiver that has to be dummed down to only do 5.1 or less when playing music if that's an option.
I am also fine with no 5.1, mainly concerned with the audio distribution.

Also if anyone has any other suggestions on how to arrange this set up that would be great, i.e. external amps, speaker selectors etc.

This will be my first time setting anything like this up, and do not have much knowledge when it comes to home theater / AV equipment, more of a wiring guy.

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
You are correct. Not all 3-zone receivers (especially cheaper ones) cannot play digital sources (HDMI, coax, optical) to Zone 2 or 3. You will have to read through the manual of the AVR you are interested in to figure out whether it can play digital sources to the other zones or not. I have been researching Dolby Atmos and the more expensive 9 channel receivers - Yamaha 2040, Denon 5200W - can do what you want to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been scouring the forums and have not been able to find an answer to my question.
Most responses are from years ago, and there seems to be contradicting information.

Question:

I have 2 in ceiling speakers in my great room, 2 in the kitchen and 2 in the master bedroom. (6 total, 3 zones.) Kitchen and bedroom have in wall volume control. Also considering adding a sub-woofer in the great room.

I would like to be able to play different sources in all zones at the same time, i.e. FM radio zone 1, CD zone 2, Airplay Zone 3.
I would also like to be able to play 1 source to all 3 zones at the same time i.e. Airplay zone 1,2,3.
I am interested in finding a receiver that powers all 3 zones and does not require an external amp.
I would also like all zones to have the option of being controlled via the receivers Apple IOS APP.

Currently do not have a surround set up, not too concerned with it, may install something down the road so if the receiver also can run a 5.1 system in the great room that would be an added bonus.

Hoping to find something in around the $1000.00 mark but will pay more if I can find something that will do what I want.

I have been searching for a 2 or 3 source, 3 zone receiver but have not been able to confirm any brand will do this for sure.
A lot seem to suggest Airplay wont work in zone 2 or 3, or that the outputs for zone 2 and 3 cannot be digital sources, or that zone 2 and 3 will play mono only.

I'm totally fine with say a 9.2 channel receiver that has to be dummed down to only do 5.1 or less when playing music if that's an option.
I am also fine with no 5.1, mainly concerned with the audio distribution.

Also if anyone has any other suggestions on how to arrange this set up that would be great, i.e. external amps, speaker selectors etc.

This will be my first time setting anything like this up, and do not have much knowledge when it comes to home theater / AV equipment, more of a wiring guy.

Thanks in advance!!!
Seems that the Marantz SR7008 might be able to do what I want?

Three-room/three-source output
HDMI dual-zone switching for watching HD content from different sources on two HDTVs simultaneously
powered and line-level stereo audio output for 2nd and 3rd rooms (using powered 2nd- and 3rd room outputs allows 5.2 home theater in main room)
power amp assign function lets you use surround back, front height, and front wide speaker outputs for Zones 2 and 3, Front B speakers, or bi-amping compatible front speakers
supports 2nd and 3rd zone output from digital sources

If I understand this correctly, I should be able to wire great room speakers to zone 1, kitchen speakers to surround back and the 2 master bedroom speakers to the front height and wide outputs and still maintain a 5.1 system in the main room. It seems this would give me three powered zones without the need for an external amp.

Would this give me total control over these 3 zones in terms of playing 2-3 different things or the same thing across all zones?

Also sounds like it supports digital outputs to zone 2 & 3, is Airplay considered a digital output? I'm concerned that I wont be able to use airplay in zone 3 and say FM radio in zone 1 at the same time.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Forget all this hassle... For $1500 you can have three Sonos Connect:Amp units and have a fantastic solution for three zones. Or for slightly less (street price) a NuVo P3100 which has much of the same functionality (but not nearly the Internet Services catalog) in a nice, single 1U component.

Jeff

·
Registered
184 Posts
Also to note, the 3rd zone may not be Speaker level, but rather line level. Thus you may need a 2nd Amp for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.