AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 30-34" HDTV, but I'm not sure which to buy...

should I get a 720p or a 1080p?

most of the movies on my hard drive are 720p resolution, so if I got a 1080p wouldn't it make them blurrier or something from upconversion? or would it pretty much look the same?

I also plan on getting blu-rays to play on it, do all blu-rays display 1080p, or do some only do 720p?

I heard that you can't tell the difference of resolution below a certain size, I'll be sitting probably 6-8 feet away from the TV

Oh, and I need one that displays good text, not for computer use but the shows I watch have subtitles most of the time, so as long as I could read them lol dunno text sucks on CRTs

anyway, what are the best brands for HDTVs, I heard of:

Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, and Sharp so far, which brand makes the most reliable and best quality here?

Any suggestions would help, I've never bought a LCD TV before lol

budget: 800$

·
Registered
897 Posts
They don't make any size between 30 and 34 except for 32 which is actually 31.5. Closed caption is generated by the TV from the closed caption signal so it is normally very sharp. Those generated by DVD players will be a little softer since they have to pass through the TV. There is normally a significant price premium for 1080p on a 32. The pixel size on a 768p 34 is the same as on a 1080p 46 since the panel areas are two to one. Generally scaling does not cause much PQ degradation. The only signals which do not have to be scaled are 1080 on a 1080p set. There are no 720p LCD sets made today.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts