Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr
At first I thought this was a joke, but apparently not. Seriously, has anyone actually bought one of these?

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html
Peter,

Good find - MSRP - $39 if you want the AC adapter another $19 - that's 1/2 the price of the amp! I may give this thing a shot as a hoot for $60 USD - probably close to $100+ CDN when I land this thing. It looks like it will make a good amp for an MP3 player that I have (about $150 MSRP). I could hook it up and see how it compares to a $3000 power amp, $4000 pre pro and $2000 Universal player.

$160 worth of source / amplification vs $9000 - I'm actually pretty scared.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I bought mine at ecost for $20, although it was on backorder a long time. The power supply from Radio Shack cost more, but these sound pretty good if you use smaller efficient 4 ohm speakers. I can't even turn the "volume" past 1/2 way before it is way too loud on typical pop music. The point of these is that new technology can do good things.

There are a few places selling mods for these that cost $300+ for a nice chassis and connectors and changing parts, etc...

Here is the other review showing the power versus THD at 8 and 4 ohm, notice you'll get some more power at 4.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html

There is another thread on this here called "T amp" or something.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepinitcool
I bought mine at ecost for $20, although it was on backorder a long time.

There are a few places selling mods for these that cost $300+ for a nice chassis and connectors and changing parts, etc...
Darn, I ordered mine directly from the Sonic Impact right after my post with their power supply - came out to about $75 including shipping. Oh well - not going to lose sleep over this.

As for the $300+ mods - this reminds me years ago when the "underground" audio press eg Stereophile and The Absolute Sound were raving about a particular portable CD player made by Radio Shack. The CD player was something like $100. Soon after there were crazy mods people could buy that were multiples of what the original CD player costed. One if I recall was a specially built power supply for it vs the usual wall wart that was a grand.. Similarly, there are hobbyist that take a $15,000- $20,000 Honda Civic and put $60 G's worth of mods on them. Nothing wrong with that just seems like putting the cart before the horse to me.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm interested to hear a real review of the amp... the "reviews" from this: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html is lame. Nothing really regarding amp perfomance and clarity compared to a standard amp.

The THD chart looks scary for driving anything but computer speakers or in-ceiling background music speakers... maybe.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin
I'm interested to hear a real review of the amp... the "reviews" from this: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html is lame. Nothing really regarding amp perfomance and clarity compared to a standard amp.

The THD chart looks scary for driving anything but computer speakers or in-ceiling background music speakers... maybe.
Actually, you might get away with a Klipsch.

Here's more of a "real" review:

http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/p...mps/t-amp.html

·
Registered
784 Posts
Don't kill the idiot here, but I have a couple of "stupid" questions related to this thing.

1) What are the dimensions? It looks kind of small, but I don't see any actual measurements.

2) I have some outdoor speakers that are a bit quieter than my indoor speakers. Would this amp allow me to bring the outdoor speakers up to the same level as the indoor speakers? Or, am I just being stupid?

Mitch

·
Registered
591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G
Don't kill the idiot here, but I have a couple of "stupid" questions related to this thing.

1) What are the dimensions? It looks kind of small, but I don't see any actual measurements.

2) I have some outdoor speakers that are a bit quieter than my indoor speakers. Would this amp allow me to bring the outdoor speakers up to the same level as the indoor speakers? Or, am I just being stupid?

Mitch
I think the size is like 5 CDs stacked on top of each other. It runs on 8 AA batteries or 12V DC. So it is quite portable. If you have high efficiency speakers you can get a bit of sound out of it. It definitely sounds better than any powered computer speakers you might find.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Would these specs qualify as "high efficiency speakers?"

. Power handling: 200W

. Frequency Response 35Hz - 20kHz

. Sensitivity 91db

Thanks,

Mitch

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G
Would these specs qualify as "high efficiency speakers?"

. Power handling: 200W

. Frequency Response 35Hz - 20kHz

. Sensitivity 91db

Thanks,

Mitch
Yes. Over 90db's is pretty efficient.

Pat

·
Registered
336 Posts
As some other posters have already said, you need VERY efficent speakers for these things to sound good.

I tried to drive some bass-shakers (very, very inefficeint speakers) with them and they barely made them wimper. Returned them (got them at target.com) and replaced them with a subwoofer plate amp from parts express (using a combination series/parallel config to drive 4 shakers) and now they sound (feel) great with the gain set at less than 50%.

One thing I think is funny, is that the manufacturer of the amp says they require a 12V 2A powersupply, but the powersupply they sell is a 1.5A one. I used an actual 12V 2A powersupply from parts express when I tested them.

I never tried them with regular speakers, though. some folks here: http://www.cocoontech.com are using them to deliver whole-house announcements in home automation systems. There are some other comments about the speakers there as well.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Maybe I'll give this amp a try, then.

I was going to try to find a cheap stereo receiver, but I really don't have room for one. So, the size of this device should fit nicely in my TV stand.

Thanks everyone for your help,

Mitch

·
Registered
784 Posts
I bought one and it doesn't seem to work with my speakers - or maybe it doesn't work at all.

I get a quiet ticking from one speaker and nothing from the other.

I let it "warm up" for a couple of minutes since one of the reviews mentioned a warm up period.

I am only using batteries at this point, but I would have expected to hear something.

If my speakers were all that efficient after all, would that create a ticking noise? Or just low volume? Or, just silence? Or some other phenomenon?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mitch

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would think you'd just be getting low volume. Could be a defective unit/bad batteries.

I finally got to hear one of these yesterday. The guy who originally told be about it had it connected to some small Warfdale speakers. All I can say is, if you find one that works, have efficient speakers, and don't need a lot of volume....it is pretty amazing sound for $30!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Why is there an output for the left and right speaker but only one audio input???????

·
Registered
244 Posts
The audio input is a TRS mini plug, it has three conducters (same as stereo headphones) and needs to be hooked up with a special cable or adapter to most equipment. If you are hooking it up to a computer however you can just get a cable with that connector on both ends.

Later,

Brian

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I haven't received mine yet although I did get an email stating that it has shipped.

Mitch,

how do you have this thing hooked up? Namely your source and what volume level is that set for? Try a CD walkman if you have it. I would hook things this way:

CD Walkman (volume cranked) > 3.5 mm male stereo to 3.5 mm male stereo cable > $30 amp (volume cranked) > bare wire speaker cable > speakers

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've tried the following configurations (all running on batteries, each test was run with volumes set to max):

1) Squeezebox (using RCA-mini plug cable) -> T-Amp -> speakers (tried two different sets of speakers). Volume on Squeezebox and T-Amp all the way up.

2) TV RCA output jacks -> T-Amp -> speakers

3) Creative MP3 player -> T-Amp (using the included mini-plug to mini-plug cable) -> speakers.

Nothing but ticking in one (right?) speaker and silence in the other.

I haven't given up, though. I'm going to try a few more things tonight and see if I have any luck.

Mitch

·
Registered
175 Posts
No sound=dead T-amp. Quality control issues have been noted by others with this device.

Be careful about hooking up something with 'volume cranked' and the amp 'volume cranked' as well, that may be rather startling if it works and may blow a tweeter or two.

I'm trying one out right now, after receiving it two days ago. It's been used with two sets of speakers so far and operated for about 30 hours now.

For the record, I'm using a regulated 12v 2amp external supply. I have not tried or plan to try batteries except maybe a rechargeable 12v lead-acid arrangement. There is no cranked idle hiss now, so I don't see much purpose in trying a battery source.

The first speaker set was an 8ohm unknown efficiency AR bookshelf pair - an ancient set called 'Rock Partners'. These are light duty news radio types, if you know what I mean. The amp didn't help them any but I didn't expect it would.

After about 10 hours on the AR's I moved to the 4ohm ~86dB efficiency Magnepan MMGs. These speakers tell me when they are given a poor signal. They are quite famously neutral. On these, the little T-amp sounds great. Of course I need more time with it to know if there are lurking issues, but the coast is clear so far.

I was surprised when I found the my preferred setting on the volume knob is about 10 o'clock. At that, and in my small 12x12x8 listening room, the seating position is exposed to ~80dB C weighted average levels with rock music. Pushing the volume up to 12 o'clock yields another 5dB with peaks in the low 90s. The seating position is about eight feet from the MMGs. I don't like music much louder than this and so I'm quite happy with this result. I already have easily aggravated tinnitus and don't need it to get worse, thank you.

Moral of this story: try, try again if your T-amp is a dud!

Now I'm thinking the best bang-for-the-buck, golden-eared, setup available can be built using:

1) a pair of MMGs,

2) an SI T-amp,

3) and a modestly priced CD player with a decent DAC.

This could cost less than $700. It should also be noted that I use homemade interconnects (Belden 89259) and speaker cables (24gauge Cat5). Mega-buck configurations are now chasing the last 5% of performance. I can live without that, how about you?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.