AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My couch is roughly 8' away from my TV stand. Would it be worth buying a 30" CRT HDTV? Or is 8' too far away to really benefit from the extra resolution on such a small TV?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have a 30" Sony HDCRT and my seating position is about 10'. However, I only use the TV for casual viewing as I have a 1080p Mistubishi Front Projector with a 80" screen that comes up in front of it for critical viewing. From 8', I would suggest getting a 42" or 50" Panny 720p Plasma if you are on a budget. You will only benefit minimally from the 30" HDTV at 8'.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My couch is about 8' away from my Sony 30" HS420 and its perfect for me. If I need to get any closer, for playing some Xbox 360 games for example, I just pull a up a chair from the dinner table.

·
Registered
284 Posts
We have a Philips 30PW8420/37. which sits 7'-9' from our couch. Folks at our house think it's great, including me. The resolution is awesome, especially on live broadcasts, like NFL football. I hope to get at least ten years out of it (it's 3 years old now). We just don't watch that much TV, so shelling out more for a bigger set doesn't make sense for us.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathLoop2000 /forum/post/15546234

My couch is roughly 8' away from my TV stand. Would it be worth buying a 30" CRT HDTV? Or is 8' too far away to really benefit from the extra resolution on such a small TV?

8' IS too far away.

If that 30" TV screen is a 16:9.

if it's a 16:9 widescreen then SD without 'strech mode' would only be 24.5".

My 36XBR800 in HD is only 33" dia!

I have to move the chair 4 feet away from the front of the screen to really enjoy HD.

·
Registered
258 Posts
For my Panasonic CT30WX15, 6 feet was good. Closer and I was bothered by the lines. Further back at 7 feet I would of bought a 34" version.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have a 34" Sony KV-34XBR910 and sit about 10 or 11 feet back. Doesn't bother me at all. People can talk about ideal distances and whatnot (I'm sure 6 feet would be much better) but that's the geography of my living room setup and I can't really do anything about it, so I don't sweat the distance.

Let's put it this way - while I think the TV is "not big enough", I don't think it's "too small". May sound like "6 of one, half-dozen of the other", but I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
i have a 30" HD CRT and i sit about 7-8 feet away and i like it. i kinda wish it was a little bit bigger but i'll be happy with it until it dies.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd /forum/post/15557212

I have a 34" Sony KV-34XBR910 and sit about 10 or 11 feet back. Doesn't bother me at all. People can talk about ideal distances and whatnot (I'm sure 6 feet would be much better) but that's the geography of my living room setup and I can't really do anything about it, so I don't sweat the distance.

Let's put it this way - while I think the TV is "not big enough", I don't think it's "too small". May sound like "6 of one, half-dozen of the other", but I hope that makes sense.

what about SD?

with stretch mode off how can you watch a 27.7 " screen that far away?

·
Registered
333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy36XBR800 /forum/post/15558041

what about SD?

With stretch mode off how can you watch a 27.7" screen that far away?

Very easily. What is the problem? Maybe because I'm old (I'm 50) I've spent most of my life - from age 0 to age 45 - watching 32" 4:3 screens and smaller, so I don't have any problem with a 34" screen seeming "too small".

Anyway, in the next 2 weeks it'll be replaced by a 60" KURO 9G Plasma so distance will no longer be an issue

1 - 10 of 10 Posts