AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

30" Hdtv

2043 Views 26 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  powerdog
What would you consider the ideal viewing distance for the 30xbr910? I sit 5.5 ft. from the screen, and wonder if 30 would be as good or better than 34 (other than being less $$)
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
That's not bad, although obviously, if you can go 34, it's worth it. :D
I'm looking at a 34" Panasonic, but my viewing distance will suck 10+ ft.

Unfortunately, 34" is already stretching my budget. :(

But it should be an improvement over 27" round tube I was looking at from 10ft for the past few years. :)
I take it you really want widscreen? If you could settle for 4:3, you can probably go up to 36 inches and come close to your budget. Just a thought...
5.5 feet is fine for a viewing distance from a 34" display, especially for HD and DVD video. The new 34" HDTV models coming out in a couple months from Panasonic and Toshiba are bringing the price down a lot - very competitive with the 36" 4:3 models, to the $1300 or less area.
It's hard to believe people actually sit closer than about 5 ft. to any TV...if room layout weren't an issue, how close would you sit to a 30" XBR?
Quote:
Originally posted by eljay04
I'm looking at a 34" Panasonic, but my viewing distance will suck 10+ ft.

Unfortunately, 34" is already stretching my budget. :(

But it should be an improvement over 27" round tube I was looking at from 10ft for the past few years. :)
I agree with Q on this. If you don't mind the black bars on widescreen content, then I would suggest a 36" HDTV over the 34". The widescreen view on a 36" 4:3 would be around 33.5" while on 4:3 content it would be the full 36". On a 16:9 34" I think it would be around 29.5 inches with black bars. Of course these tv's(16:9) have stretch modes, but some are better than others.

Even if you are evenly split on your viewing habits, I would still go for the 36". You could get it for the same price or cheaper than a 34".

And I would also wait a little while since most manufacturers are coming out with new models soon. Alot of them will have the new input(HDMI/HDCP) plus some will have a built-in tuner and/or Cablecard Access.
See less See more
Quote:
Originally posted by powerdog
It's hard to believe people actually sit closer than about 5 ft. to any TV...if room layout weren't an issue, how close would you sit to a 30" XBR?
I was thinking the same thing http://media.teamxbox.com/forum/smilies/lol.gif
Look, this is real easy. Most of the "formulas" out there are primarily there to help calculate how far back you need to sit WHERE THE SCAN LINES DISAPPEAR. It takes into account an average person with 20-20 vision. The different formulas account for NTSC material and then 480p and up. I think that with the 910, or the 960, it will allow a closer viewing distance that for other HD units, e.g. the 510.

YOU NEED TO GO DOWN TO THE RETAIL PLACES WITH A TAPE MESURE...MEASURE OFF FROM THE SCREEN TO YOUR SKULL...GO BACK UNTIL THE SCAN LINES HAVE VANISHED...AND THERE YOU HAVE IT.
Quote:
Originally posted by WOLVERNOLE

YOU NEED TO GO DOWN TO THE RETAIL PLACES WITH A TAPE MESURE...MEASURE OFF FROM THE SCREEN TO YOUR SKULL...GO BACK UNTIL THE SCAN LINES HAVE VANISHED...AND THERE YOU HAVE IT.
Look here, are you insane!! :p
Scanlines? Are we talking about analog or digital tv's? I certainly cant see any scanlines on my 32HS510 regardless of distance.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mathesar
Scanlines? Are we talking about analog or digital tv's? I certainly cant see any scanlines on my 32HS510 regardless of distance.
Mathesar-

Well then I guess you are very lucky or you are about 20/80. You're saying that you have never seen lines in your digital TV ? They are more noticable on analog, yea.

Bruce-

Yes, I am insane...crazy about HD, especially video-based material over film.:cool:

The point about the measuring tape is that most people "step off" distances in the store (I see 'em doing this all the time) and they may or may not get it right. You want to back off a tv until the scan lines disappear for YOU. Well, how far was that actually? OK, so I was having fun (with the "skull" comment) but real serious about deciding for yourself about your "comfort distance" with a unit...and then pull the tape out in measuring both the TV you are considering and the space. I cannot tell you how many RETURNS I've seen, just as a customer, due to people coming in whining "Geez, I thought it would fit!" or "Man, this tv gives me a headache. I think I'm too close.":rolleyes:
See less See more
WOLVERNOLE, do you think 5.5" is fine for a 30" TV?
Bruce-

Good question, as I was out and about in stores just yesterday, considering a 27" Sony for bedroom application...(forgot my handy tape-measure :) ) and FOR ME AND MY SET OF EYES, I needed to get back to about 6 ft. in order to not see scan lines on a 32" Sony HD...so yea, FOR ME, 30" at 5 1/2 ft. would be OK (a minimum)...but not any closer. I cannot understand how someone would pay for the clarity of an HD, and then put up with scan lines...know whadda mean?
Most info I've seen says that the 30 and 34 xbr910 are the same in quality, and only screen size is different. Now i've read (don't remember where) that the 30 has a slightly lower horiz. resolution than the 34. What's the reality?
Quote:
Most info I've seen says that the 30 and 34 xbr910 are the same in quality, and only screen size is different. Now i've read (don't remember where) that the 30 has a slightly lower horiz. resolution than the 34. What's the reality?
I always heard they were the same... :confused:
I own the KV-30XBR910 and sit 4.5' from the screen now. I moved about a foot closer recently and like it better but I think 5.5' is acceptable for a 30" monitor. It is a great monitor but get a 34" and sit a little further away would be better. From what I have read, there is no difference in the 30" and 34" resolution measurements.

Chris
Would a 30" widescreen TV be significantly larger than the viewable widescreen area of a 27" 4:3 HDTV? That's what I'm watching now from 5.5 ft.
Quote:
Would a 30" widescreen TV be significantly larger than the viewable widescreen area of a 27" 4:3 HDTV? That's what I'm watching now from 5.5 ft.
For 16x9 sources a 30" widescreen has 384 square inches which is 47% more than a 27" 4:3 display.

For 4:3 sources a 27" standard display has 350 square inches which is 21% more than a 30" widescreen.

I own both of these display size monitors and in my opinion the difference is significant at 5.5'.

Chris
See less See more
Is sitting 5.5" from a 40" TV okay? Is that a acceptable distance or is that too close?
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.