Super Moderator
21,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally got a Sony KLV30XBR900 in the house-

now I can do side by side comparisons (in alpha order):

Mits LT 3020

Sharp LC-30HM4U

Sony KLV30XBR900

the Sony is gorgeous in terms of aesthetics- easily the best of the three out of the box: I hear some fan noise from both the control box and the panel of the Sony

the Sony comes in two separate boxes: had to go back to the dealer to get the control box!

with Hurricane Isabel approaching; will have time to evaluate these 3 monitors and post some comments

WAF: wife immediately likes the Sony the best

you have to price shop for the Sony: it can be done

more to follow

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Cool :)

Having been very impressed by the Sony xbr900, and not having seen the highly regarded Mits yet, I am very much looking forward to the results.

Stay safe Mark.

·
Super Moderator
21,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sony KLV30XBR900 first comments

this is really a nice display: the integrated speakers have very good audio and the PQ is excellent

I think, so far, the Sony PQ for HD material is slightly better than the Mits or Sharp because I see less motion blur and very little scaler noise

one thing I do not like about the Sony is the table top stand (that comes with) has NO adjustment capability: no tilt or swivel

the on screen menus are extensive, and a variable back light control is included

there is no PC input on the Sony: I have been using DVI from a Zenith 520, and component video from a Sony HD200- the 720p setting seems to work best for SD material (SD material looks no better on the Sony than on any other LCD*)

*this is what R Harkness said about SD on an LCD:

"...And, NTSC cable/satellite channels just flat out suck, no qualifier, on every single LCD I've ever seen. Smeary, noisy, pixelated, utterly synthetic looking. Yuck."

I really think he said it well

·
Super Moderator
21,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sony KLV30XBR900 review and lab measurements

there is a review of the Sony 30 LCD in Sep/Oct 03 issue of Home Entertainment& Design magazine

and their website has Lab Measurements

·
Super Moderator
21,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sony is impressive

I am trying to arrange for Cliff Plavin to calibrate my new Sony display, and I have these comments:

for HD video- the Sony is the best 30" LCD I have seen: it clearly has less motion blur, less scaler noise, and slightly better blacks

the Mits has some advantages: brightness is a big advantage of the Mits: and it has an RS232 interface (along with the Sharp) that the Sony lacks

the Sharp and Mits allow some adjustment on its stand: the Sharp allows for vertical and horizontal adjustment: the Mits vertical only- the Sony is fixed and that is a drawback

the Sony is not intended as a PC monitor- the Mits excels as an excellent, bright PC 1280x768 monitor- that is perhaps its best use( through the VGA port)

the Mits has no fans- no fan noise: the Sharp has a quiet fan you can barely hear in the panel only. However the Sony has fans in both the panel and the control box which you can hear in a quiet room

I paid less for the Sony then the Mits - it takes some shopping around

I am quite impressed by the Sony for HD video: the Mits as a PC monitor

·
Super Moderator
21,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
service codes needed for Sony and Mits 30" LCD's

if anyone has this information, could you please PM me?

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you Mark, very good info about fans you are the first to point this out correctly. 2 weak points about large lcd is that power is too high and Sharp and Sony has built fans into the panel that seem stupid if you live in a cold enviroment. a 29 inch CRT dont have fans and they dont even use the power these large LCD do. When that is said I do understand that LCD has superior picture quality

from the Mitsubishi manual.

Note: The DVI-HDTV input terminal is compliant with the EIA-861 standard and is not intended for use with personal computers.

Everybody writes this in there manual, both for RPTV's and Sony LCD the same, is it because the dvi input goes through the analog circuit ?

Please Mark would you test the Mitsubishi with computer and DVI. if the test looks the same as with VGA then it's not a true Digital input for computer and that is what I suspect.

Jim Cavani

·
Super Moderator
21,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jim

the problem is a DVI HDCP input will not support computer resolutions:

a DVI HDCP input will only support video resolutions such as 480p/720p/1080i

DVI HDCP can be an all digital path to the display which is preferable, but it just does not work with a PC

computer resolutions such as 1280x768 can only be achieved through the VGA analog port

I tried a PC into the Mits DVI connector and it booted to 720x480: I could not raise the resolution from the display properties: not even using Powerstrip

the only solution is a PC monitor with a non HDCP DVI input

·
Registered
864 Posts
I also have the Sony 30XBR900. Fan noise isn't a problem nor is the so called "Black." I discarded the stand and opted for a wall mount which is adjustable. Digital cable and satellite PQ varies from one channel to another. HD is fantastic. At first I thought this was a plasma set.

Wife likes it so much she wants another for the bedroom.

·
Super Moderator
21,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don

I am thinking about the wall mount- is it by Sony?

please describe the adjustability feature

Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Mark,

I'm thinking about the Sony for my motorhome. Check this link at CC. I have not seen the mount, but, it looks right for my application and is priced nicely. Since this is my first post you will need to put the link together. Replace the "DOT" with .'

circuitcity"DOT"com/detail"DOT"jsp?c=1&b=g&department=Televisions&category=Flat+ Panel+TV+Accessories&AccPop=false&oid=73331

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
SanusSystems makes a wall mount for LCDs. BB has them, $99 and its adjustable. Don't know if it will work for the Sony. There is a pic: in the week-end ads.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks once again Mark.

Samsungs new 32" and 40" LCD support both DVI-HDCP for video and DVI-D for PC, so it's complete digital for both worlds.

Samsung LTN325W 32"

Samsung LTN406W 40"

From the brochure it says that it has DVI-HDTV Interface with HDCP Copy

Protection and in Samsung's manual for LTN325 and LTN406 there is a picture to illustrate how to connect you computer DVI-D to the panels DVI-D. They are also completely fanless.

Jim Cavani

·
Registered
37 Posts
I work at an electronics retailer here in Dallas and we have the Mits and Sony side by side and the Sony edges it out in terms of visual quality and motion. However, the sound quality on the Mits is alot, and I mean alot better. There is a built in subwoofer on the back of the Mits that gives sound more of a 3 dimensional feel.

We watch hi-def games on Saturday and Sunday and the Sony handles motion 10 times better than the Mits does. Looking at the Mits while a game is on sometimes hurts the eyes if you aren't used to the ghosting effect.

The Sony shows very little traces of motion blur, in fact, it handles it quite well. Watching discover hi-def programs, the Sony presents a much more realistic reproduction of skin tones and color saturation.

If I had to choose a 30" lcd, I'd get the Sony hands down. The 30" sharp cant even hold a candle to the Mits, while the Mits clearly loses to the Sony in terms of picture quality. Thats all I have to say about the Sharp.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I don't see the advantage of the Sony over the Mitsubishi. Nor do several others.

Your opinion obviously differers, which is fine. But your opinion is not universally shared.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Carvani
Thanks once again Mark.

Samsungs new 32" and 40" LCD support both DVI-HDCP for video and DVI-D for PC, so it's complete digital for both worlds.

Samsung LTN325W 32"

Samsung LTN406W 40"

From the brochure it says that it has DVI-HDTV Interface with HDCP Copy

Protection and in Samsung's manual for LTN325 and LTN406 there is a picture to illustrate how to connect you computer DVI-D to the panels DVI-D. They are also completely fanless.

Jim Cavani
Jim... I've been hunting for these manuals for weeks... I though since the actual LCD panels might NEVER come out (!!), at least I could console myself by reading through the manual for what might have been ;o)

Could you tell me please where you got a copy of the manuals?

Thanks,

Jcd

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had been checking on Samsung's site almost daily for this... I guess they maintain different "support" pages and the one I was checking didn't have it!

So now I just get to wait and see if the LTN-406W ever ships... otherwise I'll go ahead with some Sharp LC-37HV4U's - at least you can get those (but I hate the two-peice design - and the fact that Sharp charges $600 for the 10 meter cable. Highway robbery and I don't want to buy from Sharp if only for that reason. But I digress....)

Thanks again!

Jcd

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have been away a while, but it seems that most things don't change . . . . like hassles continue trying to tie 30" LCDs into computers via DVI digital connections. Its amazing that the more you think you know to look for, you still find one more hurdle (HDCP and video resolutions), and then one more hurdle and on it goes. Right now our 30" Sharp and LT400 Samsung are getting a workout and standing proud.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone have the key sequence that allows access to the service menus of the KLV30XBR900 please?

I need to get in and try to improve things.

many thanks

Simon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.