AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a 30" widescreen and have come down to these 2 options: Samsung (SlimFit) TXR3079WH or Toshiba 30HF85.

I've also considered a Sony 30", but I prefer the Samsung's depth and the Toshiba's price. I'm trying to find a general consesus on both these sets. I'm aware that the Toshiba is outsourced to Orion (it's listed in about every other topic here :p ) and Samsung's supposed bad rep.

I just want to stop stressing this decision and would like to hear opinions, good or bad, on both. I've already had one seemingly knowledgeable poster on another forum claim he'd rather have an Etch-A-Sketch than a Samsung and that an Orion-Toshiba is miles ahead of Samsung. He has a right to be biased but I won't make a decision off of what one jilted customer says.

So, any fans (or haters) of either want to lend a prospective owner a hand? I'm putting so much pressure on myself to make an informed decision that I couldn't even buy a toothbrush this afternoon without staring at all the bristles!!

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
what about panasonic?

price and picture should be really competitive

and its not outsourced
The Panasonic does not support 720p.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan
The Panasonic does not support 720p.
So... The Xbox 360 scales to your TV's highest resolution.. It's not like the Xbox 1.. I'd rather get a Panasonic 30inch... XBR955 30inch, then the Samsung or the Orion HF85..

At my BB they finally had the LG 30inch reciving a HD feed!! First since I been working there.. 2 months.. Side by side, it looks better then the Samsung slimfit..

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
I've seen the Sammy SlimFit in a number of stores and they all look poor compared to other TVs nearby. Tons of people here report lousy picture quality too.

Why not get a good name brand 30 incher instead? If i had to pick a 30" i'd choose the JVC first, Panny 2nd, and Sony 3rd. I would not consider any other brand.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Having examined the two side by side...I'd take the Toshiba. Folks frequently post here about geometry issues with the Slimfit; every one I've seen in stores has had severe distortion on the sides of the screen and that ruled it out for me.

Ignore people who recommend specific brands...moronic suggestions. Decide which one looks best, then do a bit of research on the specific model to see what sorts of issues folks are having. People tend to spout anecdotal garbage, but sometimes the complaining will be so widespread, as in the case of teh Slimfit, that it will be obvious when a set should be outright ignored.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by homersapien
Ignore people who recommend specific brands...moronic suggestions.
So what is moronic about me suggesting the three top brands of tube TV?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by homersapien
Ignore people who recommend specific brands...moronic suggestions...

..People tend to spout anecdotal garbage, but sometimes the complaining will be so widespread, as in the case of teh Slimfit, that it will be obvious when a set should be outright ignored.
I guess we "morons" oughta just pack up and head for home.... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
People can choose whatever they like. If he likes Toshiba, then let him buy it. The only great things I like in the Toshiba are bottom speakers, compact size, price, and styling.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guys. And I took homer's point about "moronic" suggestions quite well. Well, I took it to mean don't discount all Samsung's due to one person's experience. It might not be what he meant - but it's still one of the best suggestions to keep in mind.

Walt: Are you endorsing the Toshiba? I like the speaker placement and price too, but how's the audio/visual quality? Will it "crap out?" The only "bad" thing I'm reading about it is that it's out-sourced, but it's slowly becoming a non-issue for me. If it's a quality set, why shouldn't I drop $700 for it?

Is this geometry issue I keep reading about the SlimFit really common? Or difficult to correct? I'm most likely getting a BestBuy extended warranty, so if anything goes wrong, they'll take care of it for me.

I don't want to wait any longer, but I'm curious if I should. I'm pretty sure newer models will come out in the next 2 months, so I'll either be able to get one of these a little cheaper or get something better for my $700-900.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joevigi9192001
...I don't want to wait any longer, but I'm curious if I should. I'm pretty sure newer models will come out in the next 2 months, so I'll either be able to get one of these a little cheaper or get something better for my $700-900.
Samsung makes a great HD set. I've got one. Yes, there are many posts about problems here and there with the SlimFit. To be truthful, I'd wait a year on that one. Samsung has other wonderful HD sets - look at their site.

The only problem with waiting for lower prices or better models, is that you'll always be waiting. There will always be price drops and better models around the corner.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
Exactly!!

What's wrong with Sony, Panasonic and JVC?

As far as i know these are the best you can get!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Xbox 360 games will ALL be in 720p resolution, Microsoft has mandated this to developers.

Some games, depending on the developer, will be in 1080i, so you really need to make sure you get a TV with 720p to make sure.

Any suggestions people? I'm in the market for a HDTV CRT as well, so I want to make sure I cover all my bases.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have had a "SlimFit" for about 3 months and have had 0 problems. No bowing or distortion and great picture quality from all sources. Best TV that I've every owned including Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, etc. The 16" depth and 120 lbs. weight make it easy to make connections and set up. The Built-In HD tuner, 5000:1 contrast ratio, new phosphors screen, lots of picture adjustment options, etc. makes it a great value. Circuit City has it for $899.

Good Luck!

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
Quote:
Why not get a good name brand 30 incher instead? If i had to pick a 30" i'd choose the JVC first, Panny 2nd, and Sony 3rd. I would not consider any other brand.
really? would not be my order cause the I have yet to see any TV make HD looks as good as the SFP tubes

Quote:
5000:1 contrast ratio
same old contrast ratio BS with Samsung

they claim the 1080p DLPs are 10000:1

read something so you do not go around telling people this BS
http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/shmontrastsan.htm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinXbox360
Xbox 360 games will ALL be in 720p resolution, Microsoft has mandated this to developers.

Some games, depending on the developer, will be in 1080i, so you really need to make sure you get a TV with 720p to make sure.

Any suggestions people? I'm in the market for a HDTV CRT as well, so I want to make sure I cover all my bases.

You are wrong, every 360 game will run at 720p or 1080i, this is from 'the' Xbox website.

Quote:
You’ll see all Xbox 360 titles at 720p and 1080i resolution in 16:9 widescreen

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyJackalope
You are wrong, every 360 game will run at 720p or 1080i, this is from 'the' Xbox website.

Cool, I have no problem being wrong if it makes my decision easier. Can you tell I'm a "noob" :confused:

:D :D :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
What's this with the contrast ratio? I've noticed that Sharp, Sony, etc. say 800:1 contrast ratio and a new guy, HP, says 5000:1 on their LCDs. How can you make an honest comparison with such wildly ranging figures?

Response time? Which is best? 12 pms(?) or 8 pms(?) ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.