AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old 32" Sony XBR stopped working last night so I'm researching new options.

My wife tends to hog the Sammy DLP in the living room so I was stuck watching CSI and Lost on SD channels. I also watch NFL games and the difference is amazing.

My cable provider is RCN and I use the HDTV Motorola box provided by them though DVI.

My question is in researching the 30†HDTV sets they all seem to be at 1080i. Does this mean if I’m watching a standard channel like Sci-Fi or the History channel the picture will get up converted ruining the picture?

I’d say right now I’m 50% HD and 50% SD.

I want to stay under $1000

Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We purchased the Samsung TXP3075wh for a med. sized room and just love it. We've had it for a couple of months now and use both the component inputs and an ota antenna and we are still amazed at the picture quality, and the going price just about everywhere we looked was in the 900.00 range. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
can you attest to the QAM feature of this tv? theres a thread for the predescessor of this tv, the 3071 which was advertised with qam but in reality does not have it. samsung's supposedly making a fix for it but im not sure. i purchased this tv a few days ago and its being delivered this monday 10/17/04 but i will be postponing delivery pending an answer on this issue. thanks!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ok, I'll show my ignorance here, I'm not totally sure what qam is. We are building a new house and I have not had enough time to do more than get this thing hooked up & go. Then watch tv at night when we get in.

I did look in the manual this morning and there is NO reference to qam in the book. Does this have something to do with digital cable?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cpcmge0
Ok, I'll show my ignorance here, I'm not totally sure what qam is. We are building a new house and I have not had enough time to do more than get this thing hooked up & go. Then watch tv at night when we get in.

I did look in the manual this morning and there is NO reference to qam in the book. Does this have something to do with digital cable?
well i'm not 100% sure what it is either, but what it does is let you get HD channels off of your analog cable tv line, all the ones that are not encrypted. My friend with a qam tuner was getting PPV stuff b/c it wasn't encrypted believe it or not. Anyways these samsung tv's originally advertised they had QAM, if you goto amazon.com, sears.com, etc and lookup the tv's, the ads still say they have QAM. Thing is it doesn't work and so they really dont have them. theres another thread for the whole qam discussion. samsung took the qam spec off of their webpage, took it out of the instruction manual as well. but supposedly now there is a fix. you can read that thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...threadid=410063

also where did you get your tv from? does it have a sticker on the back that says when it was manufactured?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:

sorry, the correct URL is

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=410063

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well, I did some testing, I removed my Cox HD box and ran a direct line to tv. All I was able to receive were the basic unscrambled channels. No other tiers were showing up.:(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
Well, I did some testing, I removed my Cox HD box and ran a direct line to tv. All I was able to receive were the basic unscrambled channels. No other tiers were showing up.:(
by 'basic' you mean not the HD and not the digital channels right? just hte analogs? with qam you're supposed to be able to get the non-encrypted HD channels

·
Registered
115 Posts
From what I've read, if you want a great build-in QAM tuner, get a Zenith. I'm waiting for the C30W47 to come out myself. The biggest complaints I've heard about the Samsungs are about the tuners.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeeper78
From what I've read, if you want a great build-in QAM tuner, get a Zenith. I'm waiting for the C30W47 to come out myself. The biggest complaints I've heard about the Samsungs are about the tuners.
who sells zenith? can you give me a model # of one similar to this tv? 30", qam tuner, digital optical out, true progressive. and PAP/PIP would be great too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.