AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a sub for a room that is about 12x12x9. I would say it would be used 70% for HT and 30% for music. Budget is about $300. I am most likely pairing this with a Denon 591 and a pair of SVS SBS-02s. For my needs, what would you guys recommend? Ideally, smaller is better so would a 10" be enough?

I would ideally order this in the next week or so.

·
Registered
331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross814 /forum/post/0

I am looking to get a sub for a room that is about 12x12x9. I would say it would be used 70% for HT and 30% for music. Budget is about $300. I am most likely pairing this with a Denon 591 and a pair of SVS SBS-02s. For my needs, what would you guys recommend? Ideally, smaller is better so would a 10" be enough?

I would ideally order this in the next week or so.

At your price point I can personally recommend the Bic Pl-200 shipped for about $280. If you can add $100...at around $380 you can get a Hsu Stf-2 which I can also personally recommend. Its worth the upgrade if possible...but the PL-200 is a good performer for the price too.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Look into an Hsu STF-2.

An Emotiva Ultra-10 could also be a good choice; I was very keen on them, but quite a few people have had to get amp repairs done (not a big issue if you're close, but from Canada it is, so I opted against the risk).

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross814 /forum/post/0

How would a 12" Lava Sub compare to the STF-2?

Lava lsp12 has limited deep bass it rolls off at 35hz where the stf-2 will easily reach down to 25hz

·
Registered
116 Posts
If this helps any, I just got a HSU STF-2 this weekend and it is way more than enough for a bedroom. My bedroom is 10'x13' and it can easily shake all four of my walls while watching movies and I have the gain only at about 30% power. I had a cheap Onkyo sub and this STF-2 kicks it butt. I can hear so much more on the low frequencies and it is much tighter, which is great for music.

The STF-2 actually going to go in the bigger HT room downstairs that is more than double the size but I wanted to test it out in my bedroom system first. In your size room, the STF-2 is plenty loud (I doubt you'd use all it's power) and can easily handle a larger sized room if you move.

The 10" driver in that HSU is more than capable of rocking your room and keeping everyone and their dogs awake.

And yeah, the STF-2 will be more than fine with your Denon 591. That Denon has MultiEQ so it can EQ your subwoofer, too, which should help a lot. Plus it has Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume, so you can watch movies at low volumes and still get decent bass response. You might also want to get a riser for your subwoofer like the Auralex Subdude especially if you have wood floors, or carpet over wood floors so you don't want to annoy any neighbors, roommates, etc, when you are pumping your system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts