AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I tried searching but it would seem that the old messages have been moved off the forum, so, here goes.

I've got a SS 3xxx which I've been using for a cupla years w/ an external removeable bay. Recently the system got REALLY flakey... garbage on screen, sllooowww response to remote signals (if any response at all).

Tried forcing updates, clearing channel guide, resetting to factory defaults.. .all to no avail.

So, I dumped all of my stored shows onto my pc, cleared the hd completely and re-imaged it from a 3.02 image I found thru the FAQ. Works perfectly again. I also went ahead and installed an 80mm fan in the SS case wired down to a quiet 7 volts to help w/ ventilation.

Ok. enuf background. I want to burn these mpegs to vcd. I've tried the Womble/Nero combination, but without fail, Nero rejects the mpg and wants to reencode it, taking an excrutiating amount of time.

Can someone please post the exact method by which I can get these vids to vcd? Please be specific as possible re the womble settings, because I'm thinking thats where I'm screwing up.

BTW, all of the mpgs were recorded in extended mode.

tia.

SeTeS

·
Registered
172 Posts
Good luck. even with encoding to MPEG1 you will likely never get a good VCD.

it is possible, but the amount of effort greatly exceeds the worth of the end product.

If you really want to archive things, better to get a 4xxx or 5xxx.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought the RTV mpgs video streams were ok, but the audio needs to be tweaked. That's what I try to do w/ womble, but the resulting file still gets spat out by nero.

I don't mind reencoding once, but TWICE? That's what I'm hoping to avoid.

And while I'd love the lan features of the 4xxx, I'm not in a position to spend ~500 bucks for a unit and activation. :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Your original post was about settings for VCD using Womble.

1. You don't need settings. MPG-1 Video Push the VCD button sets everything correctly.

2. You must encode video at least once (see FlipFlop's statement). This takes hours even with Womble.

I have done what you are asking many times without problem. There is a old program called mpegprop.exe that provides a very reliable test of whether a file is a proper VCD or not. Anything it says is OK will be accepted by nero. I don't know the link offhand, but look on vcdhelp.com.

As a postscript, VCD's suck! Buy a DVD burner as soon as you can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.