AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the recent "proud parent" of a new Panny 300u. I have been blown away by this projector, and have been extrememly happy (after 25+ hours of lamp time) to not have any dead pixels, or other aberrations ... or so I thought:

Last night, I was inspecting the image close to the screen and I have spotted what appear to be at least 14 DEAD PIXELS!!

Most are very light -- i.e., if you step back a footstep or two (from having your nose a few inches away from the screen) they are mostly invisible. From a few feet back they are simply not visible -- and I'm looking for them -- and at seating distance of course you have ZERO chance of seeing them as well.

FACTS:

-> Most appear to be light green (almost yellowish) and are very faint, but are definitely a SINGLE pixel.

-> There is a BLUE one right in the center (the first one I noticed), with a GREEN one just below it. Both are fairly light though.

-> There is a single RED one right-of-center that is easily the brightest, and what I would definitely consider surely a DEAD pixel ... that is, it is on the bright side, but not screaming bright. If I really look for it, I can see this one from a few feet away, but beyond that ... forget it. No chance.

QUESTIONS:

1) So WHAT are these that I am seeing?

2) Will they get brighter? (i.e. worse)

3) Anyone else seen this??

OTHER NOTES:
  • The BLUE shows up much better in light areas. The rest, ESPECIALLY the RED show up in dark areas better.
  • Putting up a BLACK image will allow you to see all the colors reasonably well. (At a distance of a few inches to a foot that is! Beyond that, again, you can not see them.)

Comments/suggestions/answers would be GREATLY appreciated. If they will stay like this and not get any worse, I have no problem keeping the PJ as it appears to be great otherwise.

TIA!!

-Tim

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
You need to clarify the terminology a bit.

There are two kinds of pixel flaws:

Dead pixels -- There is blackness where there should be a pixel

Stuck pixels -- The pixel for a given color is always on.

To find dead pixels, you are best served by running a solid backgroun of red, green and blue (each separately). You can then count the dead reds, the dead blues and the dead greens.

To find stuck pixels, you can run a solid black background. Anything you see is a stuck pixel and you can note the color.

The character of these dead and/or stuck pixels is unlikely to ever change. It is now as it almost certainly always will be.

Are you sure you have no dust in the way on the lens or even inside?

14 flawed pixels is unusually high. Not impossible, but rare.

Mark

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These would definitely be STUCK pixels. I do *NOT* see *ANY* DEAD pixels then, by that terminology ... only STUCK pixels.

But they are not STUCK in the way I would not expect, nor have seen -- I saw a stuck pixel(s) at Panny/HS10 shootout and they were extremely bright. I could see that pixel(s) from 12-15 feet away, and it was VERY noticeable.

AGAIN, all of these are extremely dim (or light) in nature, with the "brightest" (most visible) STUCK pixel (the red one) vanishing from a few feet away.

I wonder if more people have these types of "psuedo-stuck" pixels and don't realize it, as they are very difficult to detect.

-Tim

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Are you sure you have no dust in the way on the lens or even inside?
I have no idea, but I would hope not on the latter, as I have only had the projetor ONE week. As far as on the lens, sure ... there is dust on the lens within moments of powering on the projector for the first time.

I can't imagine this being dust on the lens considering the pixel color does not change.

Quote:
14 flawed pixels is unusually high. Not impossible, but rare.
Yes, but again, these may not be considered "flawed" as they are not the typical stuck pixel that I have seen or heard about.

-Tim

·
Registered
159 Posts
The Panny AE100 had a way to call a service patten. REG GREEN BLUE WHITE plus difrent kind vertical and horizontal lines. Theese could be accesed by going to menu>option>osd, and hold enter butten on remote for 5 sec. then go down to service mode, press enter to call the patten. This I found was a good way to make sure that only one panel was in use a the time. Maybe the AE300 has the same try to look around for it.

Cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yep, same trick works on the AE-300 ;)

Although if you can see anything at all on a black scene (well dark grey ;) )

then it might well be RMA time :(

-- Jon

·
Registered
307 Posts
timoteo: Your problem seems very similar to the problem I had with my LC75U projector. My green pixels were stuck on, but were very faint in brightness. They would only display when a video source is being displayed (they would not appear on the panel tests). Here are pictures:

http://www.clubs.lycos.com/live/Dire...AID=301141&F=3

Picture #1 is a dead blue pixel that is always on.

Picture #2 is with the shutter on. Green pixel is not visible.

Pictures #3 ,#4 and #6 is the same area as Picture #2 but with a video feed. The green pixel is visible.

Pictures #7, #8 are different areas showing other green pixels.

Picture #5 is a newly found red pixel.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm on my second Panny 300U. My first one had a square group of four pixels that were stuck on green.

If you've gotten it recently, try getting a replacement from your dealer.

Otherwise, Panasonic should take care of such a wide range of pixel problems.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, but I know I can replace it. I purchased mine from Visual Apex who gives you an incredible 30-days. They have the best pixel and replacement policy on the planet.

The thing is, if the existing semi-stuck pixels are not going to get any worse than this -- that is, any brighter -- there is no point in returning the PJ really. I just don't want a situation where they are graedually getting brighter, and finally do become visible from more than a foot or two away.

I'm also just very curious as to what these really are ... they just don't seem to be your normal stuck pixels.

-Tim

·
Registered
225 Posts
Quote:
But it seems to me, that if it were a dust blob, wouldn't it change color??
I don't think so, as I'm pretty sure my problem is dust related. I have 3 color blobs, 2 blue & a green that I developed after I mounted my l300. I've had them for about 75 hours now, and I plan on trying to blow them out this weekend.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Couple of questions:

1) How big are they? (I think of a "blob" as something bigger than a pixel.)

2) How bright are they?

Also, how do you know it is a dust blob? I can't imagine having this many "dust blobs" after less than a week of owning the projector.

-Tim

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have about 5 of those on my AE100 all green and they never got any worse and as you said they are invisible from about 2-3ft back. I'd need binoculars to see them from my seating position at 12ft!!:D They are dust AFAIK but actually on the surface of the green panel whereas the fist sized and most definately visible dust blobs I have now which come in and out of focus when I adjust the zoom ring are on other surfaces of the optics ie mirrors etc. These are the type you have to worry about but even these are easily rectified by opening up the PJ and spraying compressed air into the optics. The reason I haven't done this yet is I want to hold onto my warranty until it runs out.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If these "stuck" pixels aren't visible from more than a couple feet out then that sounds more like they're fixed pattern noise outliers. Do these stuck pixels vary in brightness? For example if you have a green pixel like this, does it shine much brighter on a green screen vs. a black screen? If so, I wouldn't classify these as stuck pixels.

Also, for you guys with warranties :D, how is panasonic going to tell if you opened the case to clean the blobs or not? It's a very easy process, and the only side effect is those disgusting blobs will be gone. If I were you I'd just blast away, warranty or not.

Mike U.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
If these "stuck" pixels aren't visible from more than a couple feet out then that sounds more like they're fixed pattern noise outliers.
NOW, we're getting somewhere. Interesting ... what are "fixed pattern noise outliers" ? Just curious.

Just to clarify, I forgot to mention that I DID do the DEFOCUS/FOCUS test, and they do focus and defocus WITH the image.

So, that leads me to believe they are not dust-blobs (at least in the traditional sense) because

A) They keep focus with the image focus

B) They are ONE pixel in size

Thanks for the info and help.

-Tim

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Do these stuck pixels vary in brightness? For example if you have a green pixel like this, does it shine much brighter on a green screen vs. a black screen?
Here is what I can tell you:
  • I can see them all fairly well on a black screen. (That is at about 1-2 ft. from the screen)
  • The blue shows up much better (appears to be brighter) on a light scene, or even a completely blue screen.
  • RED (now two of them) show up the brightest, and are most visible on a dark image. Not visible on a solid color screen like BLUE, RED, GREEN only.
  • Same holds true for GREEN ... although they are the lightest (hardest to see) of the bunch.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE:

Sorry, forgot to post ...

These are indeed the result of dust ... but are NOT EXACTLY dust blobs per se. I and tech agreed that they are single particles of dust that cover one single pixel (sometimes two together) here and there.

He also confirmed that these are introduced during the construction of the unit on the assembly line. There is nothing Panasonic can do about. I guess you get what you pay for ... sealed light path units (like the awesome PLV-70) are much more expensive.

It's not a big deal at all though ... you can not see them at all during normal viewing. And it is very difficult to find them at any distance quite honestly.

I just wanted to make sure they will not get any worse. Which they will NOT.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
925 Posts
I am also seeing several clusters of about 4 stuck pixels(green) that make up one big square...most of them are not bright enough to be an issue, but one IS!

This is my second unit as first had the same problem, unfortunately on first unit, the stuck pixels were right in the middle of the screen, and guess what? so is the bright one on this unit:mad: ( i can see it from 13 feet away)

I have had this unit about a month and a half (90 hours). Total time since i bought my first unit is about 2 months exactly.

I called visual apex Wednesday and asked them what could be done, and the guy sounded like he was disgusted at the amount of calls they are getting to swap out these units. They said they would call me back and tell me if they would send me another unit, but as of today (Saturday) no call back.

When i custom build my new home theater room, my screen size will be 120" so this will be even more noticeable, and i don't feel this is something i should just accept, i`m kind of thinking i should of held out for the HS10.

Lets see if visual apex does the right thing. They seem convinced that it is dust, but this is my 3rd LCD projector and i know what dust looks like and what stuck pixels look like.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.