AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got HD digital cable from Comcast and it looks unbelievable on my 300U. The only problem is that I'm getting horizontal lines moving up my screen. They are faint and not noticable in dark scenes, but are annoying during brighter scenes. I do not get this problem w/ my DVD player. I should also point out that the lines appear as red, green and blue and progress in that order.

I'm thinking that I might have a bad component cable or a defective receiver. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess since I've gotten no replies, I must not be explaining the problem very well. Well, here's an update on the problem:

A Comcast service tech just left my house trying to diagnose the problem. It seems that when I plug the 6 foot component cable directly into the Panny, the lines disappear. When I plug into the wall jack that connects to a 25' component cable (from svideo.com), the lines reappear.

The thing that confuses me is that this does not happen with the DVD player. So, why would the digital cable signal have a problem with the longer cable run but not the dvd signal?

Anyone?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does it only happen in HD, or does it do it with SD as well? It sounds like it could be as simple as a grounding problem. Are the units plugged into the same circuit? Try running the power from the projector back to the same outlet as the cable box to see if it changes. You can also try ground lift adapters (temporarily, he says. Just as a diagnostic tool he says)

Just a shot at it without seeing your problem, but I've seen it elsewhere.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It happens w/ both HD and SD.

I thought it might be a power-related issue so I tried a different recepticle, with no success. Although this recepticle was part of the same circuit.

Thanks for the link to the hum-bar thread. This sounds like my problem. I will experiment further. It's just strange that it doesn't happen with DVDs.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Just changing the subject for a second min7b5.

I also own the PT L300u and just got HD Comcast 2 days ago. Just wondering your thoughts. I have yet to see anything that looks great on HBO HD. My DVD's look better than this. I think the INHD channels look fantastic although I was getting some compression artifacts the last two days but seem to be gone tonight.

I was running PBS HD on both my 300u via cable and on my RCA M36000 HDTV via OTA at the same time and noticed a big difference in color. I can understand that the 300u will not have the same resolution but I could not believe the color difference. The 300u colors looked totally saturated. How do you or anyone else adjust this as I can not seem to get the look that I am desiring.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I'd suspect the cable, as the svideo.com cable cable you are using doesn't have much shielding (it uses the few grounding strands that surround the center conductor's insulation as both ground and shield), that is, if you are using the one that is about 1/8" in diameter (each of the three cables). However, since it doesn't affect DVD, then look to a general grounding problem instead. Cable is notorious for this.

Are you "switching" through a receiver?????

·
Registered
494 Posts
Just replying to my own reply here.

I adjusted my colors to what Scot Kight suggested in another thread, defocused just a little more and presto a beautiful picture.

Any artifacts I saw the last 2 days were gone and I did see a great looking flick on HBO HD (Ecks vs Sever).

I am so much more happier with my purchase than I was just a couple of hours ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.