AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Replay 3030 has been locking up every day, for a few days now. I'll turn on the TV, and the picture is frozen, and the only way to get the Replay working again is to unplug it and plug it back in. Does anyone else have a 3030 that's been having this problem? I've been reading a lot of posts about people with 5000-series Replays having a similar problem, but I can't believe that the cause of mine is the same, since software upgrades are a thing of the past for me.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had this problem with my 3070 a while back. The two drives I had in it were fine, but the heat was causing problems. This started after a couple of years of a 2 drive system with no fans and no problems. I figure it probably came from an air flow issue that occured after I moved from my old apartment to my new condo, though nothing else changed about my setup at all. (I introduced nothing new to my entertainment center, and everything stayed in the same location w/in the cabinet.) I've since switched to a single drive setup and moved it into the bedroom (it was replaced by a 5060 a couple of months ago int he entertainment center) without any lock-ups of any kind since the change.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
There is something wrong with your recorder. For some unknown reason some 3000/showstoppers run out of disk space while buffering live TV. I would 777 zones restore factory default in hope it corrects the problem. A work around is don't disable disk spindown in the clawfoot portal and turn off the recorder when not in use.

Also there is a possibility the hard disk is defective. A few signs of failure are banging sound from inside the recorder, video stutter and locking up.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Yes, as Mikeyboy said. The reason for not disabling disk spindown is that with it disabled, the unit continues buffering even when in the OFF state.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I solved the problem, in a sense. Went out and bought a Tivo. I didn't want to deal with a machine that was probably on it's way to being a doorstop, and for $249 I guess I got my 2 years worth out of it. I wanted to go and get a Replay 5000-series but I was turned off by all the reports of lockups on those units. So, I went over to the other side, and I'll just have to see how that goes. So far my only problems are some annoying functionality differences (you can't even see how much space is left on a Tivo drive, no commercial advance, etc.).

·
Registered
366 Posts
So your solution was to use a product you've never used before rather than upgrade to a newer version of a product with the features you like just because some people have had problems? Interesting solution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.