AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ye olde 3060, and have experienced it getting slower and slower over the years. It's virtually impossible to view live-TV on delay now, because the replay stutters every few seconds. Also, I had the system completely freeze on me a several times in the last two weeks -- just twice in the past 24 hours alone. These crashes are beyond a soft-reset and I wind up pulling the plug. All in all very annoying.

So I assessed the situation and found that I had some 45-50 hrs of shows on the system, some of which had been there for months. Pulled the drive to copy things over to DVD-R and there it was -- RTVPatch complains about a bad block on the system partition.

How can I fix this? Anyone?

Possible -- but not preferred -- solution:

* Get another 60GB drive

* Copy contents sector-by-sector using my little DiskCopy utility, skipping the bad one(s)

* Give the old maxtor a once-over

* Copy contents back and hope the system repairs itself... or does it?

Any others?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Sorry, you can't fix the old drive.

Replace the drive with a new 120 gig Samsung or Maxtor drive. They're affordable and much quieter than the original. If you need a disk image download it from either FTP in my signature bock.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Before you buy another driver, definitely low level format the drive and put a new image on it. This solution has worked for many.

I think I've got a similar bad block on my 100gb Maxtor drive, but it only stutters when I totally fill it. If it gets worse I'm certainly going to try a format and re-image before throwing it away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The disk-image links will really help. Do I have to worry about any imcompatibilities, or will any image work on a 3060?

Also, I don't really want to buy another 120GB drive -- I have a few 40s and 45s laying around here which I can probably use for backups. My plan is to clean off the 3060 and get me a 50x0 and DVArchive. Methinks I can get a couple of $100s for the 3060 on ebay and offset some of the 5Ks cost that way.

Thanks for the prompt and useful help!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Download the image that is correct for your unit. You have a Replay 3060, so download the Replay 30XX file. Placing a different model (like a 40XX or 50XX) units drive image on your Replay can really goof thing up. Use the one for your unit and it's smooth sailing.

Don

·
Registered
40 Posts
I upgraded my 3060 to a 3120 with a new Maxtor 120gig and I started having very similar problems to what you're describing. I had done the full low-level format and extensive diags before installing. The problems were getting worse so I pulled the drive and re-ran the diagnostics and it failed! I low-level formatted (again) and it still failed diags. So, must be a bad drive. A replacement is on its from Maxtor..... The point being that a low-level format can't always fix what's wrong; but good luck!

-Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I own three IBM Deskstar 45GB, 7200RPM drives. Two are DEAD. One failed after about two years of 16hrs/day service, the other after ONE MONTH of 24hrs. Of course, they're within their warranty period, but do I really want a replacement?

This is what I've done for now:

- Copied everything to DVD, with the exception of a few Simpson's episodes.

- Fired it back up and deleted all the shows I copied off.

- Ordered a 5080 for $316 from Abt. AFAIK, $50 rebate applies.

- Once the 5080 is here and set up, I'll tear down the 3060 again and bring it back to mint, then it goes on Ebay.

Again, thanks for the fantastic help here!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.