AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After manging with power strip the whole last night, I finally got this damn Ati card to display usable picture on my new 30HS420. Whoever said latest Ati drivers should solve all the problems with HDTVs, hasn't actually tried to do it.

I connected DVI out from the Ati 9800 to HDMI input on the TV (I had that dongle so for now that's my only option) and went through numerous 1080i presets in power strip before realizing the TV won't display any of them (all I got was terribly unstable shaking picture) Then some 720p settings which worked a bit better, but had a problem with a very wavy and jumpy top of the picture. One 720p preset displayed a stable picture, but the top 1.5cm of the picture was visibly bent. At least the picture was perfectly stable, After twiddling with some more settings in power strip, I managed to correct the bending, but in the process, the refresh rate had to be lowered to 57hz, which seemed to work fine as long as I wouldn't switch the TV resolutions. Next time I would call that 57hz-perfectly-good-looking preset I saved, the picture would be completely screwed up :(

The only high resolution that worked perfectly fine was some odd 1152x648 setting which displayed full width picture horizontally, but was underscanned vertically. Basically, I'm not sure if this TV has a problem displaying fully overscanned full resolution 720p, or is that all because of Ati card that people often seem to have problems with.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
the overscan is hiding the bending normally

I saw this type of bending as well on my KD30XS955 and if using underscanning

would still overscan about 2% to aviod seeing the little bends in the geometry

this was with 720p and 1080i

have you tried the 5.8 catalyst drivers?

they have added 1080i support now

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have 5.8 catalyst drivers. I'm also positive that the picture is already overscanned in 720p, it's just that no matter if I move the screen up/down using powerstrip, the deformation always stays in the same top part of the screen. Increasing the number of "total" lines in powerstrip from 750 to 790 fixes the problem, but in the process, the refresh rate lowers down to 57hz, which seems to prevent it from working next time I try to call that setting. It's weird because the picrture looks PERFECT when I set it like that, but the setting can't be recalled next time I want to use the TV like that.

1080i I can't get to work no matter what :\\ I've heard Ati's 1080i support is botched over DVI.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
sorry you are having such a hard time, I personally would just stick with component

we are talking about CRTs

does 720p over DVI look better then 1080i or even 720p over component?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly, I have no idea which one looks better. I did not have a chance to try 720p over the component, and the only 1080i I could try over the component was Gran Turismo 4 PS2 game which is not a full resolution 1080i anyways (it's something like 640x980i). In GT4 the picture geometry looks perfect in 1080i, but it's underscanned vertically, so I again don't know if the TV can display full resolution overscan 720p or 1080i with no geometry issues...

Sooner or later I will need to use HDMI connector on TV for hi-def movie playback (I'm thinking once Playstation 3 comes out) but for now I'm using it for the computer as I already have a dongle. I know I could buy a component dongle, but in case that gives the same problem then I still don't know:

- If my video card is the source of the problem or if it's the TV

and in the case the problem disappears:

- If picture geometry can look good over HDMI (I guess I won't find that out unless I try nvidia video card, or switch to digital TV or wait for PS3)

For now I guess I'll stick with 1152x648 resolution for my computer needs, it works stable, and it's doing the job fine, even though it's underscanned vertically :\\

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.