AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 30K locally yesterday from Best Buy with remote and unit only for $199. I also opted to purchase the 4 year warranty for $99. For a half of the price of the unit, is it worth it? Has anyone bought one of these units and have something go wrong with it and rendered it useless and too expensive to be repaired by JVC? I've got 30 days to return the warranty to Best Buy.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Hell yes. Anyone that does not purchase an extended warranty on JVC's D-VHS deck is just taking a huge risk.

I've had to send my deck(s) in 4 times. The third time they (JVC) replaced it. That was nine months ago and the replacement is now going in.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I just searched the Best Buy website -- they do not find any matches for the 30k unit under its full model designation. How is anyone finding these units for $200? Are they all defective or non-working when purchased? -- returns or damaged demos?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Emaych, You won't find them on the website. I think most of the stores are clearing out their floor models. The one I got was a floor model. It came with only the unit and the remote. Seems to work great so far.

Thank you Matt. Still debating over the value of paying an additional 50% for an extended warranty. Especially with Tivo HD coming out.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Thanks for the response -- I will call the locals try to see what I can find out -- from what I understand, JVC is doing alot of out-of-warranty repair on these as they've come to recognize how problematic they are (or that they made a major design flaw error in the original product model issued), still the warranty coverage doesn't seem like a bad idea -- you already got a GREAT price on this unit......or "great" if it doesn't end up costing you 3 times more -- I just think you can't even beat $300. One real recently sold on eBay for $360 used by a private party after its initial purchase as a refurbished unit -- that was stipulated in the eBay ad, so evidently there are those who will pay significantly more for these even refurbished and used. Bidding was fairly brisk too toward the end.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I usually don't advise people to get extended warranties but in this case I think its wise to do so. I have a 30K and also bought an extended warranty. As you'll no doubt recall MANY VHS decks have problems (not just DVHS and not just this one). On a high-end model like this I think its a wise thing to do. You did get an AWESOME deal though. Congratulations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.