AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's new in box and price is out the door. I have to decide fast. I don't really want to get involved in ebay bidding wars on used gear. I need something fast as my old player died. Any other options out there on the XP30 or 1600?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, but I've got to find an XP30, xp50, or a Denon 1600 fast as my player died. I just hate bidding on an auction with four days left and all the pressure about winning or not. Then someone outbids you by a quarter and you have to start the process over. I just want to find a place online that has what I want and buy the dern thing :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
If you are living in the west coast Canada, London Drugs was selling the XP30 + the XR-SA10 receiver combo for $499 Canadian ($383 US) + 14.5% taxes few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I checked the store few days ago, yes, they still got them except the price went back to $699. Maybe you can talk your way down to $499 since they are clearance items.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
That's only $10 more than new retail. Doesn't sound so bad for me if that's the player you want and you're not finding any XP50's.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I say go for it. The original retail price means absolutely nothing at this point.

How much do you think a 69' Mustang retailed when it first came out? Probably a few thousand dollars. How much do you think they sell for now? A lot more than $3000.

My point is the XP30 and it's bretheren were simply above and beyond almost any DVD player made in the past 3 years. Not to mention they are no longer made and there really aren't that many out there to find now. So, the retail price at this point means nothing. The XP30 and XP50 are almost collectors items in the home theater world and that will only continue more in the future. The harder they are to find the more you're gonna have to pay.

I just paid someone $250 for a refurbished model and I was willing to pay more. After using it for the past 2 weeks I can now say without reservation that the XP30 is worth every penny of $310. I've already bought and returned players that cost more and the XP30 whips them all in every aspect of performance. It's that simple.

Tiger

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. If I am spending the $310, is there anything else I should consider that equals it? I don't see anywhere that has a 1600 in stock.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
The 1600 is nice but you'll have a harder time finding one of those. Not to mention I tracked down a couple 1600's myself and both had major problems so I returned them.

I have also tried out the Denon 910, 1200, and the Samsung HD931 and none of them can compete with the overall quality of the XP30.

Tiger

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.........If you think it's too much though, what would you buy for $300? I just dropped $2,200 on a TV and I need to spend some money getting the light issues in my viewing room solved. I can't spend over $300. That's my limit. I don't see any other options out there other than trying to wim an auction on a used unit or "overpaying" for a new one at $310.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It always boggles my mind how some will justify one thing and not the other. As a few members already pointed out, this player retailed for $299 in its time. $310 is exactly $11 more. If you think that this is too much even knowing that this player spanks an $8000 krell unit, you might want to recheck your logic. Bottom line is this, if we all knew what we knew a couple years ago this player would have never been in stock, period. Denon 910 is about the closest you're going to get and with an avg. price of about $450 canadian, I would take the xp-30 any day of the week.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
A little steep IMHO, I have one and it's excellent as far as 480p is concerned.

I don,t know what kind of display you're using, but the Momitsu will offer more scaling choices than 480p (1080i,720p, custom res. analog RGBHV/DVI or component, all for about 280$

Also firmware updates

Excellent image, no CUE problems, quirky, but no transcoder needed.

480p/i is old hat unless your going to use this with a scaler (Lumagen or Iscan HD)

There's too much happening in DVD players and letting emotions rule over logic is expensive in the end.

David

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Omikron
If you are living in the west coast Canada, London Drugs was selling the XP30 + the XR-SA10 receiver combo for $499 Canadian ($383 US) + 14.5% taxes few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I checked the store few days ago, yes, they still got them except the price went back to $699. Maybe you can talk your way down to $499 since they are clearance items.
Hi Omikron, if you are referring to the one at #No.3 and Westminister, I could probably snatch it since a friend of mine works at that branch! =)

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
"There's too much happening in DVD players and letting emotions rule over logic is expensive in the end."

I really don't understand this statement. If your saying that buying an XP30 rather than one of the new "quirky" players is an "emotinal" decision than i'm going to disagree.

The XP30 was rated among the best DVD players ever in the "secrets" DVD shootout and that wasn't a joke. The XP30 delivers performance not seen in players costing a thousand dollars more.

I'd keep my XP30 over some new "quirky" player any day of the week. Some of us don't feel like downloading firmware on a regular basis while these companies sort out the problems of the new hardware they're developing. I don't feel like beign a guinnea pig right now.

Don't get me wrong. I love new technology. I'll buy a DVI player when they work perfectly %99 of the time. As it stands right now i'm not interested. My XP30 is about as good as it's gonna get until DVI players become perfected.

Tiger

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sango
Hi Omikron, if you are referring to the one at #No.3 and Westminister, I could probably snatch it since a friend of mine works at that branch! =)
Yes, other London Drugs stores (Stevenston, North Vancouver, West Vancouver) might carry them as well. How come you are looking for XP30? What happened to your RP56 and 2 RP-82?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ordered one. Thanks. After tax and shipping it's about $167. Is product number PA500YYY an xp30 for sure. It didn't say so.

1 - 20 of 260 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.