AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't wait until monitors and TVs fully converge - it's taking ages. In the meantime, has anyone here had any experience using a 32" 1080p TV as a monitor? Is it too big to sit close to?

I know there are a number of gotchas when choosing. Each of these has a question, since the state of the art may have changed slightly since this bit of research:

a: Colour depth. Are TVs still only 10 bit colour? Obviously 24bit or higher is preferred.

b: 1:1 pixel mapping. Blurring results otherwise.

c: Just because a HDTV claim as TV is 1080p, it doesn't mean it can INPUT 1080p. But maybe modern HDTVs don't suffer from this gotcha?

d: Gotta make sure it's progressive (1080p), not interlace (1080i), because PC artifacts will become more noticeable, especially with high frame per second games.

e: I've also heard how 32" is too big with 768p, because the pixels are too big. Would 1080p overcome this to a decent degree?

·
Registered
148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinbee /forum/post/15586318

I can't wait until monitors and TVs fully converge - it's taking ages. In the meantime, has anyone here had any experience using a 32" 1080p TV as a monitor? Is it too big to sit close to?

I know there are a number of gotchas when choosing. Each of these has a question, since the state of the art may have changed slightly since this bit of research:

a: Colour depth. Are TVs still only 10 bit colour? Obviously 24bit or higher is preferred.

b: 1:1 pixel mapping. Blurring results otherwise.

c: Just because a HDTV claim as TV is 1080p, it doesn't mean it can INPUT 1080p. But maybe modern HDTVs don't suffer from this gotcha?

d: Gotta make sure it's progressive (1080p), not interlace (1080i), because PC artifacts will become more noticeable, especially with high frame per second games.

e: I've also heard how 32" is too big with 768p, because the pixels are too big. Would 1080p overcome this to a decent degree?

a. I'm not sure how much colour depth is an issue, but most of the TVs are listed as 8 or 10 bit

b. NOt necessarily. It depends on the scaling capacity of the TV, or, more importantly, the source player. But overall it is barely noticeable from 720 to 1080p. The larger the difference between the source and the TV resolution, the worse it will look. SD content will probably look better on a 720p set.

c. Not sure what you mean here. If the TV can display 1080p, it can definitely receive 1080p.

d. Just make certain the TV you buy is listed as 1080p output capable.

e. IMHO, and the opinion of many others, 32" is well suited to 768p as a TV source unless you plan to sit very close. However as a monitor where you'd be sitting within 3 feet, it would probably be better as a 1080p. Just remember you'll need to have the hardware to drive 1080p resolution in games.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just a quick comment.... I have a Sharp Aquos 32" 1080p TV that I use as my computer monitor and TV in my bedroom. I'm 100% satisfied with my setup. The quality is amazing! I've played PC & PS3 games, watched dvd's, bluray, DirecTV (SD). I couldn't be happier with my setup! The best thing is to go to a retailer and take a look at the TV's in person. I chose the Sharp because of it's quality and price. You never know what you're gonna get unless you see it in person.

Hope this helps,

-grecinos

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both for your replies.

About the receiving of 1080p, I've just heard how the HDMI input (or whatever) may not allow 1080p sometimes - maybe that source was wrong.

grecinos,

Do you sit close to the 32" (about 3 feet away), and it's still okay?

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
IMO the size isn't an issue- it's the resolution. My 22" is 1680x1050, I could see another 2-4 inches being squezed out of this res but another 10?? I'd need more...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I see your point because with enough pixels, one could treat a 32" like a 20" simply by having windows in the centre of the display I guess, and then only using the 'sides' as reserve when needed.

Shame a 1080 pixel height might not be enough for 32" though

·
Registered
148 Posts
Again though, it all boils down to how far you will be sitting from the screen. If it is on your desk, I'm pretty sure it will look a bit pixelated even in 1080p. However if it is 4-5 ft away it would be great.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinbee /forum/post/15588349

Thanks both for your replies.

About the receiving of 1080p, I've just heard how the HDMI input (or whatever) may not allow 1080p sometimes - maybe that source was wrong.

grecinos,

Do you sit close to the 32" (about 3 feet away), and it's still okay?

I sit 2-3 feet away from the TV. It's set to 1080p mode and I don't notice any pixelation. I've had it for about 6 months now and haven't had any problems with viewing such a big screen (for close up). As for watching DVD's/Blurays, etc, I usually sit around 7 feet away, and it works fine at the distance. If I want to go any bigger, I use a projector that I have with an 80" pull-down screen. I pretty much have all my bases covered.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The highest an LCD goes is 10bit color. This is not the same as the 32bit (24 with an 8bit overlay) color you see that your PC outputs. They are rated differently. An 8bit LCD panel is equal to the 24bits of color your PC outputs. This is why many people do not believe a 10bit panel is necessary, as there are little to no sources that are higher than 24bits.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
It should work, but it would be a good idea if you can try it first to make sure it looks OK with the particular make and model you choose. I don't think a pixellated look should be be big a problem at the 32" size.

By the way, HDMI does handle 1080p, at least the current 1.3a version. I am curently using it for 1080p in my HT setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts