AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 645 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this 32" at Costco for under $1500 and the styling is very attractive, and compact/lightweight boxing for easy transporting home. This model has cable card, has two HDMI inputs plus all the others. Phillips has gotten good ratings for some of their LCD's with "Pixel Plus". I could not find any controls on the unit so I was unable to adjust the picture. Below are some details, but I'd really like to hear from someone who has this model at home or who has been able to play with the picture adjustment (remote needed I think).

Cable Card Interface, Monitor out, CVBS, L/R (cinch), SP-DIF in (coaxial), SP-DIF out (coaxial)

AV 1 : Audio L/R in, CVBS in, RGB+H/V, S-Video Y/C, YPbPr, Component Video in, (1, 2, 3Fh autoranging), Y/C

AV 2 : Audio L/R in, CVBS, S-Video

AV 3 : S/PDIF digital coaxial, YPbPr, (1, 2, 3Fh autoranging)

AV 4 : HDMI

AV 5 : HDMI

Front / Side connections : Audio left/right in, CVBS in, Headphone out, S-video in, USB 1.1

Brightness : 550 cd/m²

Diagonal screen size (inch) : 32 inch

Diagonal screen size (metric) : 80 cm

Display screen type : LCD WXGA Active Matrix TFT

Picture enhancement : Pixel Plus, Progressive Scan, Active Control + Light sensor, 3/2 - 2/2 motion pull down, Widescreen Plus, 3D Combfilter, Contrast Plus

Screen enhancement : Anti ageing circuit, Anti-Reflection coated screen

Panel resolution : 1366 x 768p

Response time (typical) : 8 ms

Dynamic Screen Contrast ratio : 800:1

Computer formats : 640 x 480, 60Hz, 800 x 600, 60Hz, 1024 x 768, 60Hz, 1366 x 768, 60Hz

Video Formats : 640 x 480i - 1Fh, 640 x 480p - 2Fh, 720 x 576i - 1Fh, 720 x 576p - 2Fh, 1280 x 720p - 3Fh, 1920 x 1080i - 2Fh

Sound Enhancement : Smart Sound, Auto Volume Leveller, Digital Signal Processing, Dynamic Bass Enhancement, Graphic Equaliser

Sound System : Virtual Dolby Digital

Output power (RMS) : 2 x 15W

Ease of Installation : Autostore, PLL Digital Tuning, Plug & Play, Automatic Tuning System (ATS)

Ease of Use : On Screen Display, Side Control, Smart Picture Control, Channel list, Smart Sound Control, Delta Volume per preset

Remote control type : RC4345/01

Remote Control : Amp, DVD-R, Multi-functional, Sat, VCR, DVD

Screen Format Adjustments : 7 Widescreen Modes, Auto Format, Subtitle and Heading Shift

Child Protection : Child Lock+Parental Control

Picture in Picture : HDMI-Component PIP

Clock : Smart Clock

Teletext : Closed Captioning Full Text

Multimedia Applications

Digital Content Management : Digital Media Reader

Multimedia connections : USB 1.1 memory class device

Playback Formats : JPEG Still pictures, MP3, Slideshow files (.alb)

Tuner/Reception/Transmission

TV system : ATSC, NTSC

Video Playback : NTSC

Aerial Input : 75 Ohm F-type

Cable : Digital Cable Ready CableCARD, Unscrambled Digital Cable -QAM

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just picked this up at Costco.

However, i was dissapointed to find the 32PF9630A/37 label but the TV to be

32PF7320A/37

As noted on the philips website, the 9630 has PixelPlus 2 and usb 2.0

Everything else is the same... I just wonder if pixelplus 2 is any better I don't want to be gipped.

I will install it and compare it to my Sony 30XS955 CRT. my CRT has GREAT PQ so this will be interesting.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesxtreme /forum/post/0

I just picked this up at Costco.

However, i was dissapointed to find the 32PF9630A/37 label but the TV to be

32PF7320A/37

As noted on the philips website, the 9630 has PixelPlus 2 and usb 2.0

Everything else is the same... I just wonder if pixelplus 2 is any better I don't want to be gipped.

I will install it and compare it to my Sony 30XS955 CRT. my CRT has GREAT PQ so this will be interesting.

According to another avs member who had the more expensive Phillips LCD models, the Pixel Plus 2 is a bit better. He noticed an issue with the original Pixel Plus but I can't remember what it was... I do remember him saying that he only noticed a problem under rare condition and only if he looked for it. I think Pixel Plus 2 is only available on more expensive Phillips models.

Anyway, we are eager to know how you like the picture and features on this model.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I believe the 9630 model also has the ambilight thing doesnt it? It is way more expensive I noticed on the costco site.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The ambilight model has a different bezel design and model number (32PF9996/37)

I won't post a complete review but i'm a amateur so forgive me if I botch a few acronyms here and there.

Initial Impression

This TV looks nice. Definitely better than the Maxent which i was originally looking for. I like a larger bezel on TV's because it makes the TV look "meatier". The sharp AQUOS 32" next to it looked kinda puny. PQ was another issue, i'll talk about that later. I LOVE the thinness of this TV and compared to my Sony 30XS955 CRT it's so sexy... Weight was 45lbs and very easy for a normal person to carry.

Looks like a really full featured LCD with 2 HDMI connections and 3 AV's and CableCard Slot is a nice feature. I was also attracted to the HDTV tuner since the AQUOS doesn't have one.

Picture Quality

There are a lot of settings so I can't fully tell you how good it is yet.
  • At the Store

First of all... Costco has a nice layout to compare screens. I hate looking at the smaller ones since everything is dwarfed next to the 42" plasmas and it really makes every LCD look TINY. But next to the Sharp AQUOS it was really comparable. I would give the edge to the Sharp for PQ as the images were a bit sharper. I played around with the settings on the Philips until the color seemed more "natural" to me. Another thing was that the HDTV signal would sometimes show the Philips better and sometimes show the Sharp to be better. I would say the colors were back and forth. However, the sharpness was just slightly off. I wasn't sure why but it's was a very slight difference (sharp being a bit better). The AQUOS does not have a HDTV tuner but it was the same price. I wanted OTA free signals so that was a big factor.

*note: some of the lcd had a green stripe on the right or left of the screen. Don't worry because you can adjust the picture left or right to remove it. i found that out later at home.
  • At Home

At home I unpacked the TV and set everything up. A very sparse manual... i didn't like that. I fired up the OTA antenna and the picture was great. Sharp out of the box and maybe a little less color than i liked but that can be adjusted. I think color "depth" might be the right word b/c my Sony has a little better color.

It was definitely a great size for me as I sit about 6-8' away from the TV.

One thing I noticed was the automatic adjustment of my channels to widescreen. B/c some of the OTA channels are broadcast in HDTV but with black bars on the side (4:3) size... the TV auto adjusted it and it still looked great.

The response time is listed as 8ms but while watching the program "you think you can dance" you could tell there was some ghosting. Noticeable but not a dealbreaker. I would estimate it's probably closer to 20ms but i have no verifiable way of measuring that. Maybe 8ms up and 8ms down ~16ms total... depends how the manny measures it i guess. It's a LCD so I expected it would have some difficulty keeping up with fast moving objects. Overall it does a pretty good job (this is subjective of course) compared to my other LCD monitors ( i have a couple older samsung computer LCDS.)

ON not so action pictures like talk shows, it was gorgeous! Very detailed, very very sharp. Pixel plus may be a factor but i can't compare to another LCD tv?
  • On DVD

At first, the quality was pretty horrible. mind you I have the panasonic s77s which I LOVE by the way. I first turned it on and connected to HDMI. It had a grainy image and pretty poor PQ. I thought man this sucks... so I checked the settings on my panny and readjusted it to 1080i. Next I adjusted some of the options in the TV and now i get a pretty good image. Blacks are not that good in my opinion. IF you are willing to live with slightly grey blacks or just accept it as black then you'll be fine. Maybe I have the contrast a little high but the Sharp definitely had better blacks.

My Artificial Intelligence looked pretty bad but i attribute that more to the DVD. Gladiator was nice and sharp thanks to my dvd player... and i have to test out a few more and i'll get back to you. I plan on watching lots of DVDs so this will be important. After messing around with the settings I still noticed some slight graininess but i'll tweak it more to see if it can be totally removed.

Menus & Quirks

The menus are easy to navigate once you get used to it. It's not super intuitive and could be easier but I don't mind that much. Some quirks are when you need to push "OK" forward button. the OK button doesn't always do what you want it to do. IE, it may return to another menu when you thought you were selecting something.

Another quirk are the channels. There is no TV/Video button to goto your AV/HDMI inputs. pushing up to the last channel goes into AV1, AV2, HDMI 1&2... and so forth. I dunno why they did something so stupid. Maybe It's the stupid manual that doesn't explain anything.

The auto adjust can be turned off, but during certain commercials which switch back to 4:3 will take 3-4 seconds to adjust to full size. Sometiems the commercial is already over so this can get annoying. Luckily it can be turned off but I like it on.

Price/Value

I bought it for under 1500, you can find the price out for yourself. Considering I bought the 30XS955 for under 1000, I feel like the Value is not as good as the Sony. Sure, it's thin but PQ and everything else is the same as the Sony. So for 2 inches more, LCD sharpness, and super thin TV... I pay that much more. So really, it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Notes

Just so you know, the Sams club one is 100 dollars cheaper but it's a different model and has no TV tuner or dual HDMI inputs. I bought that one without realizing it and immediately returned it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the great review!

I was looking at this set in the CostCo today for about 15 minutes. I really love the styling & dual-HDMI inputs, but I'm still deciding about the PQ. It was definitely nicer than the ProView next to it, but there was no Sharp to compare it to. And it's hard to really evaluate it in that setting.

I noticed that the picture wasn't centered - everything looked like it had been shifted 2 inches to the left. One of the videos that cycled through had a logo in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. On the 2 Philips sets (32" & 37"), the left side of the logo was chopped off. Other sets showed the full logo & an inch of room on the left. Is this the same as the green stripe you were talking about? How do you adjust the centering? There was no stripe on the right side of the screen, so it's almost like the HD feed was wider than the screen could display. I went into the settings menu, but the only options were "Widescreen" and "Automatic", which both displayed the same thing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just move the ring around the OK button to shift the picture to be centered. There maybe some Overscan? which is why the logos are off. Then again, the signal may have a part in that. All my HD content is properly adjusted for widescreen. Auto will just eliminate the black bars.

Just an update:
Picture Quality

With black there is some macroblocking? I'm not sure what it's called when it's blocky and the colors aren't smoothed together? This only happens in certain pictures... but there is very little ghosting that i notice at all now.

I'm watching the Patriots/Saints game right now and it looks awesome. Very bright and sharp. If you look closely, you will see some blending. Does anyone want to share their settings for the 37" or the 32"?

My settings:

Color Enhancement: off

DNR: off

Active Control: Max

Pixel Plus: on

Dynamic Contrast: Minimum

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesxtreme /forum/post/0

Just move the ring around the OK button to shift the picture to be centered. There maybe some Overscan? which is why the logos are off. Then again, the signal may have a part in that. All my HD content is properly adjusted for widescreen. Auto will just eliminate the black bars.

Just an update:
Picture Quality

With black there is some macroblocking? I'm not sure what it's called when it's blocky and the colors aren't smoothed together? This only happens in certain pictures... but there is very little ghosting that i notice at all now.

I'm watching the Patriots/Saints game right now and it looks awesome. Very bright and sharp. If you look closely, you will see some blending. Does anyone want to share their settings for the 37" or the 32"?

My settings:

Color Enhancement: off

DNR: off

Active Control: Max

Pixel Plus: on

Dynamic Contrast: Minimum

That "macroblocking" may or may not be the Phillips... I've noticed this (rarely) on my LCDs and found that it was the source, not the monitor. The only thing about your excellent review that concerns me is the black levels. Sharp seems to always win on black levels, but I like the design of this Phillips... very compact attractive design with fairly good sounding speakers considering the size.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Maybe my wording to describe the black levels are incorrect.

ON the Sharp, the black did not appear "lit"

On the Philips looks like it is "lit" and even by turning down the contrast/brightness you can only reduce it so much. however it is "consistently black" throughout the whole picture and in scenes that require black.

Now, when i say lit, it's not like it's "bright" I guess just compared to the bezel that is black, it's not a deep black. Just slightly lit and a little grayish.

Hope that helps.

P.S. I'm really debating between this and the Sharp... but the sharp has no HD tuner which has me bummed. We have a pretty nasty cable company here and I can't receive Sattelite in my apt.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
thanks for the detailed review. I am now seriously looking into this tv. will stop by costco to look at it. per your review, cannot still see why there is no tv/source button on the remote to change the source from hd, dvd, cable,etc. have never ever seen any remote without it! so are u keeping this tv or looking at others such as sammy, sony, sharp, etc?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well, I've only had it for 2 days. I'll probably pick up a AVIA disc calibrator and adjust some settings.

I'm debating between this and the Sharp.

I also saw the Panny 37" plasma which is around the same price range... i'm really torn as i would love to have the HDTV tuner.

I read that someone else found out about an "expert" mode for the remote so you can change to the AV inputs. But i don' t know how yet.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
went to local costco to see it. seems that its sold out and no news if its coming back to the store. very strange. went to sterling, va store.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I went to 2 costco's to get this TV, One had two in stock but was sold out by the time I got there... the other one had 8 but it was farther out so maybe less people bought it there.

Try again, it's worth it.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Have something for u reg AV switching. There should be a AV+ button on the remote that shall allow you to switch b/w video sources. saw the 37'' in a store. remote should be the same.

Now some Qs:

- one thing i noticed with 37'' tv is that for changing picture settings like sharpness, etc..the whole screen shows menu...rather than transparent menu..where one could keep watching tv and notice the changes when u play with menu settings..is that true?

- did u setup HD with this tv? I could not see an option to just search for digital channels rather than both digital and analog. Also, if is does put both of them, how does one skip/add a channel? did u see an option for that?

- I noticed that there is a software upgrade for this tv on the philips website. did u upgrade the firmware..maybe it helps with some of the quirks above...

please let me know...PQ looks really good for this TV. ..therefore seriously considering this TV now...

·
Registered
4 Posts
is it true ??? that the remote control that comes with the Philips LCD TV is only multifunctional on Philips products only ....bummer

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased the 32PF LCD and no where it talked about programing the remote

so I called Philips and got a "sleepy" guy telling me the remote only operates Philips equipment .... BTW does Philips make SAT rec. ???

·
Registered
318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallu2u /forum/post/0

Have something for u reg AV switching. There should be a AV+ button on the remote that shall allow you to switch b/w video sources. saw the 37'' in a store. remote should be the same.

Now some Qs:

- one thing i noticed with 37'' tv is that for changing picture settings like sharpness, etc..the whole screen shows menu...rather than transparent menu..where one could keep watching tv and notice the changes when u play with menu settings..is that true?

- did u setup HD with this tv? I could not see an option to just search for digital channels rather than both digital and analog. Also, if is does put both of them, how does one skip/add a channel? did u see an option for that?

- I noticed that there is a software upgrade for this tv on the philips website. did u upgrade the firmware..maybe it helps with some of the quirks above...

please let me know...PQ looks really good for this TV. ..therefore seriously considering this TV now...

Thanks for the tip on the AV+ button. i didn't notice it... A/Ch switches back to the previous channel you were watching too.

To answer you questions:

1) The menu does fill the whole screen until you select which setting to adjust... 'sharpness, color, etc' will show the slider but the rest of the picture you will be able to see the changes.

2) i did set this up with hdtv. it will scan both analog and digital at the same time.

in the menu you can select preferred channels which will skip/add any channels you want.

3) as for the software upgrade, there is one version higher than what i have right now. you will need a usb card reader to be able to do this firmware upgrade though and i haven't hooked it up yet.

i'm not sure whether you can program the remote for other components.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
the menu is not very "sleek" or intuitive as you mentioned. but I think the PQ of philips is surely among the best LCDs. I just wish there was an option to scan only digital or analog channel and not having to take out all analog channels...just extra botheration..really like this feature in my sony xbr.

so...overall...how do u like this tv? are u keeping it? I was looking into sony, sammy and sharp..but at this price and features...I am leaning heavily towards it...despite..its strange menus and some quirks..maybe down the line...the menu is also updated with a firmware change..atleast philips..has the updates..do not know of many companies that even do that!

·
Registered
318 Posts
The firmware feature is a nice touch.

I am really leaning toward keeping this tv. The only thing i wish is that i could buy a 37" or bigger. Right now i can't afford anything larger.

i've been watching DVD's and hdtv and i really like the PQ. i will be hooking up my ps2 with component cables... that's the only thing... not enough component inputs.

I did see a Panasonic 32" that I really liked in terms of color, but i'm still researching it. Still, it may not be good enough to make me give up this TV.

1 - 20 of 645 Posts