AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I'm long time reader, first time poster here.

I need a 32" or 37" TV for my tiny living room with viewing distance 5-6 feet. I don't plan to pay the cable company a premium to get a huge list of HD channels though. My most HD input would be:

1) VGA/DVI output from a PC, playback DVD, 720p DivX / hulu.com stuff. I'll buy a blueray drive when the price is not insane.

2) OTA / QAM tuner

3) I have a wii now (which is not HD) but I'm also considering xbox 360. but I won't use it often anyway.

I've been to the stores and I found myself not picky on PQ. I can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, nor did I find any noticeable difference between Samsung, Sharp, Toshiba, Panasonic, LG. Vizio is a little worse but acceptable. Ironically, the Sony looked bad but the staff told me it was due to a bad splitter. I guess I won't pay for Sony just to get that brand name anyway.

Do you guys have any TV models to recommend? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll just bump my own thread with my homework:

Since I want a TV with reasonable longevity, I want a brand name, which limited me in Sony, Samsung, Sharp, Toshiba, Panasonic, and maybe LG.

Panasonic 32LX85 doesn't have a VGA input -- out;

Sony is overpiced -- out;

Many posts in the forum said the Sharp quality is going down. Besides, the non-aquos sets might not be built by Sharp itself (even some Aquos models). This freaks me out. Sharp, what were you thinking??

Toshiba 32AV500U is not on Regza brand. Is this the same non-Aquos vs Aquos stuff? I've had enough.

So basically this left me with Samsung LN32A450. It looks really good. The only complain so far I can find is that the sound may be off-sync with the video when watching OTA signal using its tuner. Not sure if this is addressed yet.

Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starhusker /forum/post/14317472

Hi everybody, I'm long time reader, first time poster here.

I need a 32" or 37" TV for my tiny living room with viewing distance 5-6 feet. I don't plan to pay the cable company a premium to get a huge list of HD channels though. My most HD input would be:

1) VGA/DVI output from a PC, playback DVD, 720p DivX / hulu.com stuff. I'll buy a blueray drive when the price is not insane.

2) OTA / QAM tuner

3) I have a wii now (which is not HD) but I'm also considering xbox 360. but I won't use it often anyway.

I've been to the stores and I found myself not picky on PQ. I can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, nor did I find any noticeable difference between Samsung, Sharp, Toshiba, Panasonic, LG. Vizio is a little worse but acceptable. Ironically, the Sony looked bad but the staff told me it was due to a bad splitter. I guess I won't pay for Sony just to get that brand name anyway.

Do you guys have any TV models to recommend? Thanks in advance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts