AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I'm look for a decent quality but inexpensive 32" 720p LCD TV. To be used for both movies and PC gaming. I'm thinking of either the LG 32LG20 on sale at futureshop:

futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10114256&catid=23521&logon=&langid=EN

Or the Sharp Aquos:

futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10099399&catid=23521&logon=&langid=EN

First post, so I cannot post URLs. Please add www before these links. Sorry!

The only major differences I can see are that the LG has a 12000:1 dynamic contrast ratio compared to 7500:1 for the sharp, but the sharp has a better response time of 6 ms vs 8 ms for the LG. I don't know if 8 ms is slow enough to cause noticeable blurring during gaming, some very minor blurring is okay by me. Assuming the contrast distinction will be better for the LG vs the sharp.

I think the 32LG20 is more or less the same as the 32LG30 - the former is a futureshop specific model I think, but the specs seem the same. FS lists the 32LG20 as having 960p output capability, but I'm pretty sure this is a typo considering it also lists the native resolution as 1366x768.

Any opinions would be welcome.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I hate to do this, but considering that this title is now buried, I'm going to give it a bump. I'm impressed with how many people post on this forum!

·
Registered
14 Posts
tuff question.

i would value both the difference from 8ms to 6ms and 7500:1 and 12000:1

more importantly i would greatly prefer sharp PQ over lg PQ.

far and away!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you would consider the sharp to be a better built unit, less likely to have issues long-term?

·
Registered
14 Posts
to be fair, they're both well built and reliable. I consider the sharp to have a far superior PQ. Side by side comparisons sharp is my 2nd favorite LCD just a bit less sharp than samsung.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ooops, guess I'm unfamiliar with the term PQ - I thought it meant production quality. Does it refer to image quality?

·
Registered
13 Posts
it means picture quality ,

im also looking to buy the EXACT same unit... and was searching the forum for the 32lg20. The 50$ difference is not much i think...

now i think i will go with the sharp aquos.

let me know what you do

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will do. Was leaning to the LG due to good overall reviews on the 32LG30 and the price (yes, $50 is small, but times are tough!), which I'm certain is a near indentical model. I need to get my butt down to futureshop and get a side-by-sde comparison. If the sharp is noticeably better it is definitely worth the extra $50.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm, I wonder if it is a web only sale. I looked in FS a couple of weeks ago and they didn't seem to have any in either, but I didn't look too close. My father has the 40" equivalent of the LG, looks okay but 720p is a little coarse for gaming at that size and sitting close. I might just go with the sharp, but I am still debating whether I really need the LCD. I currently have a 24" Toshiba CRT SD, pretty new and works great. I mostly want it for the built in ATSC tuner to get over the air HD TV, since I don't have cable. I could hook up my PC to the TV and put a digital tuner card in it, but then that means gaming must be done over the CRT TV in my living room instead of my study.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I went to FS and they only had the 32LG30, and for some reason that one costs a lot more than the 32LG20, It might be nothing, but that difference makes me concerned, so I decided against that. I picked up the Sharp, but I haven't set it up yet. I'll be doing that this evening, will report back.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW, I purchased the extented warranty on the unit. Does anyone have any feedback regarding the usefulness of these warranties for LCD TVs? I mean I'm not sure really how prone these things are for going out early. I normally don't buy the warranty, and the guy cut me a small deal. With an HDMI cable that boosts my costs to just under $800 for everything including tax. I can still return the warranty for a week, and that will save me some moolah.

Edit - You know what, screw it. I'm returning the warranty, it's just too much money. This thread here has some good info:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=924213

Plus I remembered that my Visa adds an additional year, bring the warranty to 2 years. Also, I can get a warranty for half the FS price here:

http://www.techcomm.ca/Links.htm

·
Registered
13 Posts
did you try the tv?

I went to my FS and almost bought the sharp, but i decided to wait to see the deal of the superbowl week

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Done. This TV is fantastic. The menus are reasonably arranged, although I wish there was a little more tweakability for resolutions, such as being able to force certain resolutions. However I was able to become accustomed to the menus quickly without consulting the manual at all. Perhaps I have not uncovered all the features yet.

I don't have much experience to compare to other LCD TVs, just LCD monitors, but the dynamic range of colours and good contrast ratio makes for a great PQ. The colour controls are great, and I really like the ability to control the maximum and minimum values for the backlight, while the TV adjusts automatically to the source. The preset colour schemes you can select from are pretty good, and tweakability is possible to personal tastes.

Viewing angles are good horizontally, a little less so vertically, but really as long as it is at the height you need this shouldn't be an issue. You have to be looking at a pretty sharp horizontal angle to notice any problems.

When I hooked up my laptop using HDMI and set the native resolution to 1360x768 it looked fantastic. However I wasn't able to get sound output from the TV through HDMI. It might very well be on the laptop end of things, probably need to make some adjustments. Gaming was great (Half-life 2 episode 1), no really noticeable blur and colours were sharp and vibrant - much better than on my father's LG 40". However that may have had something to do with the colour settings on his unit. 720p on a 32" TV from 5-6' away is just fine, I couldn't justify 1080p for these circumstances. Plus my video card would not handle newer games at 1080p!

I hooked up an HDTV UHF Antenna (bigger model, designed for outdoor placement), and placed it in the corner of my living room near a big window facing south-west. I was able to pick up about 4 HD channels with minor signal problems, and a couple more with more frequent signal problems making them difficult to watch. HOwever that is a problem with the antenna location. The point is that the ATSC tuner works well, which was a major reason for my decision to buy the TV (I'm not paying those jerks for cable!). CBC news never looked better, and Peter Mansbridge has an amazingly clear complexion.

The remote is fairly simply laid out, takes a little getting used to but could be worse. As some have mentioned, remote control backlighting would be nice, but a small detail.

All told, I was very hesitant to purchase this since I had a perfectly good functioning 24" CRT TV, but now that I set it up I don't think I could take it back (nor would my fiance let me). As for the 4 yr extended warranty, I decided that it cost too much. The additional year from my VISA will be sufficient. OVerall, I'm very happy with the purchase.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts