AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see my "what's the best 32-inch LCD for under $'s must have been against forum rules due to the inclusion of a price target (or allusions to stores). Bummer, I guess I was lucky it ran for 3 days. I've narrowed it down to a sharp 37D43U 37 inch that had been available @ ...somewhere for some price close to what nearly EVERY better 32-inch unit can be purchased for....man, this is nearly pointless. But, it looks like that promotion/liquidation ran out and I am now back to the 32 inch unit options only. I did find an open box Toshiba Regza 32HL67 for... 63.7453% of what the LG32LG30 was going for at ALL the Brick and Mortar locations. Seems like a decent set even though it's a bit thicker than the others, doesn't have a swivel base, is 8ms instead of the 5 or 6ms I was seeking, doesn't have "auto volume" features (to mute those pesky things called commercials), etc... but for less than $500, it seems reasonable.

One of my intents had been to use it as a monitor but it now seems that unless it's 1080p, I would not even be able to run the 1280x1024 I currently run on this 20-inch tube-style monitor. Drat, I wish I had just ordered the freaking 37D43U even though they say the SD quality sucks on it...

·
Registered
2,822 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Surfing - Thanks for the assist. Unfortunatle, only the last two are in the price range (around $600). If I go to $800, I would get a 1080p model for $829. The open box 32 toshi is $474 and I might even be able to get another $50 off that...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
! Decision made - Paid $585 for a LG 32LG30. $200 of original $849 price plus an internet coupon for another 10% off. Figure it was a decent deal. The Toshiba 32HL67 open box unit was gone before I got there (of course) so it made the decision fairly easy.

The LG 32LG30 is a pretty good LCD. It DOES have a wealth of custom tuning options so getting good color is pretty easy once you get all the details of these settings from other sites and/or are able to custom tune it using tools. High Def picture is PHENOMENAL. SD picture is also a LOT better than my high-end 42-inch Plasma (maybe that is just a size issue). My one issue with this is for use as a computer monitor. It does a great job with text and representations at the 1360x768 level which is the max for this 720p panel but I am finding that I need more information on the screen at any one time than this format allows and therefore, even though I didn't want the added cost of the 1080p screen, I don't think I am going to have any other option than to "bite the bullet" and poney up the extra $'s. It seems like there are a number of the 1080p 32's out there under $1,000. Or I may just throw this up on the wall and call it quits for the TV portion of the objective and then dig around for a separate 1080p 26" desk monitor...

I found a QUALITY 32-inch 1080p set (Toshiba 32RV530) for under $800 including shipping so 30% more lines/rows for only $200 seems viable therefore I am abandoning this thread as it is no longer applicable and you may follow my lead in the 1080p world in the following thread...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1041934&page=2

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Post Script - Well, I have decided that 720p was not good enough for my needs so the 32LG30 I bought for $584.99 is going to the mother-in-laws place. I picked up a 37LG50 from a local Brick and Mortar store for $899 and it delivers the resolution I need for my application plus it's 30% larger so those Olympics will look even bigger now. Next step... Either upgrade my DLP front projector in the Home Theater room to a higher resolution (1024 Max right now) or replace that setup with one of the new, bigger 52 inch plasmas...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts