Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Looking for a lower priced 32 inch LCD unit for my bedroom (Have 42 inch SONY LCD front-projection for living room).

Looking to spend under $1500 hopefully and purchase in the next month or two.

Couple items I want to consider:

1. Price (above)

2. Best image quality considering price (HD, but also decent normal cable picture) - Would like the option to adjust such that the picture does not "fatten" out automatically, etc. Will use for DVD / HD TV / and Normal Cable TV.

3. Wall Hanging - would like to hang on wall with a separate break-out box that has connections (ideal, but not required)

Everyone seems to be talking about the Syntax Olevia models - any others comparable to these? What are your thoughts on Olevia considering the above?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Go to Costco & get the 32" Sharp Aquos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought the 32" Aquos almost a month ago. CostCo had it on sale. I was able to buy the floor model since it was the last one on hand and they did not have any more on order. The manager let me have it for $200 less than the sale price without the box. I got it for the same price as the 26" Aquos they were selling. Pretty happy with the deal.

The model number is LC-G5C32U. It DOES NOT have the "twin picture" (split screen) feature.

I have been a "direct view" fan. This is the first non-tube TV I've ever purchased.

Coming from CRT TVs, The Black level on LCD took me a little getting used to. I had to change my habit of watching movies in the dark to watching movies with the lights on... the black doesn't seem to be as grey.

I considered Syntax, Maxent and Westinghouse. Never got to see the Westinghouse. Most of the time when I was window shopping I was impressed with the Aquos... but the price has kept me away.

I bought the TV mainly for watching movies. I have cable HD programs. I was a bit disappointed when I read the manual to find that I didn't have the split screen and the TV didn't have a VGA input. But... the HD programs from the cable quickly made me glad that I bought the Aquos. WOW... Spectacular picture !!

(Component in/out of Scientific Atlanta with HD recorder to TV at 1080i)

It took me a day or two to get all the picture adjustment to the way I like it. The movies look fantastic... except in really dark scenes. (Samsung HD841 DVD player via HDMI - DVD player set to output 1080i)

Bought a new Video Card (GeForce 5500 FX with DVI out - $55 on eBay) for my computer. Set to 1280x768 and TV set to "stretch". I'm not blown away but it works fine. Computer sound is through the TV speakers, but broadcast and DVD sound is through a surround reciever.

I am very happy. Pictures from the HD programs are nothing short of Spectacular. The movies look great. SD programs... well they're SD, what can I say. But the SD digital channels looks pretty good.

I can't wait for the HD-DVD movies. I guess movie quality will be similar to when movies are shown on HD program channels... which is already as good as my DVD player.

Get the Aquos, but hurry... they are flying off the shelf at CostCo.

:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
to the Westinhouse LTV-32w1. Right price, good features and electronics, and only an ISF calibration away from beating the pants off of much pricier manufacturers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I couldn't really say anything about the new 32" Olevia HVE model, but I have seen the Westinghouse in action and man does it look good. It was turned off at the Best Buy I went to and was sitting next to a Samsung 32" lcd panel. I asked them to turn it on for me and once it was, I was sold. The panel had as good if not better clarity on the HD feed that was running compared to the other panels which I might add were about 5 to 7 hundred dollars more expensive. During the fast action HD feed that was going on I didn't notice any ghosting or struggle from the tv to catch up with the source video. I am planning on purchasing one of the Westinghouse 32" panels within the next two months. I would suggest looking for one to check it out for yourself.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Check out the Polaroid LCD at Circuit City. My 26" Polaroid is a great value. Nice as a computer monitor too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Check out the philips 32 inch LCD at samsclub.com. very good price and philips has a reputation for making good lcds.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nope the repsonse time is 18ms on the Philips. Where did you see 20 something at. Even the sharp 32 is at 16ms

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Sams Club has a Vizio 32" LCD for $1K that looks very good, and has good specs. My brother bought it and is very pleased, though he may move to a plasma instead. It is especially good on SD and analog cable channels, much better than I would have thought. Color and contrast are not as good as a Panny plasma, but then neither is any other LCD. The Vizio 32" is the best LCD I have seen for the price at that size.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster77
Bought a new Video Card (GeForce 5500 FX with DVI out - $55 on eBay) for my computer. Set to 1280x768 and TV set to "stretch". I'm not blown away but it works fine.
Do you want to be blown away? Download the latest Nvidia drivers, set your card for 1368X768, & tell the Aquos to do "dot by dot". You will have 1:1 pixel map, no distortion, & an unreal, beautiful desktop. I'm using an LC32-D5U with an Nvidia GeForce 5900 Ultra 256mb. Looks amazing.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The listed width for that set doesn't look right. Maybe that is the width of the screen without the bezel included.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Guys, given a choice.....would you go with the WinBook or the latest incarnation of the Syntax Olevia 32".

I'm trying to find my next PC monitor for gaming and general PC work (no photoshop, etc).

The pricepoints are about the same, the features seem about the same. The Syntax seems to have a nicer black bezel, and they both seem to have reasonably fast response times and contrast ratios (regardless of what they say on paper)........is it six of one and half-dozen of the other on these two units?

On most online retailers the Olevia unit is a straight drop ship...if it shows up at my door in 1000 peices I have to go straight through Syntax to get it repaired or replaced....does anyone out there know how they stand up in the service department? I once heard their rebates were less than forthcoming........

Ordering from Winbook seems to be direct.....and the prices on the Westinghoues models at BestBuy are too high compared with these two units in question, for 13x768 anyhow.

Again..primary use PC...secondary use: Console Games....probably no DVD and no HD watching, unless I decided to move the unit to the bedroom or buy a second one.....

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
The Westinghouse is the same resolution but hundreds of dollars more...I dont see it as a bargain. We aren't talking about the 37" Westy with the 1080p panel here, these are all 720p (or tehreabouts) panels...

The Winbook, the Olevia...and probably a few other "Brand X" 30 and 32" monitors/tv's fall into this pricepoint.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.