AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bedroom tv died and I am looking for a new one. The set will be used for DirecTV, OTA, and VHS.

The set must meet the following criteria:

32" or larger

Flat screen

At least one rear SVideo input (the more the merrier)

At least one RCA input and one RCA output

Component input would be nice, but not necessary

4:3 vs 16:9 is not a consideration...either would be fine

As far as I am concerned, price is no object, but what do I know? When I mentioned that the price would probably be about $800, the wife blanched. I'm gonna have to keep the price down on this one.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Burt

·
Registered
194 Posts
Cheap flat screen huh? Well, im gonna tell you what everyone else will probably say. Spend a little more and get a Sony Wega. I have a 36" non HD Wega and i love it!!

But if you must stay on budget than I would look into Sharp or Advent. While neither of these sets can compare to the Sony/Tosh/JVCs ect... They are much better than the WalMart specials. Besides arent there MUCH better things to do in the bedroom?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just last week, I bought a Toshiba 32" Flat Screen (32AF43) from Best Buy that is in your price range. The thing is amazing, I now watch more TV than I did before.

I was big on the Sony's but decided that I had read enough people having problems with the tickers on the bottom of the screen (ESPN, CNN etc) that the Toshiba looked too good to pass up.

I have a replay tv hooked up via S Video also and it looks awesome and DVD's with Component Inputs look nice.

You should take a look at this one along with the Sony's

Link To Best Buy.com for Toshiba 32aF43

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by walls
But if you must stay on budget than I would look into Sharp or Advent. While neither of these sets can compare to the Sony/Tosh/JVCs ect... They are much better than the WalMart specials. Besides arent there MUCH better things to do in the bedroom?
That's funny! Unfortunately, if I don't come in on budget on this one, there may not be better things to do in the bedroom.

I did a quick search after reading your response. I could find no Advents, but did find a few Sharps. I'm going to check them out.

SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED says we could give up flat screen if it would save money. I am not happy with this choice, but will consider it. How much of a difference would it make if I removed flat screen from the criteria?

Thanks for the response,

Burt

·
Registered
194 Posts
My kids have a non flat bottom of the line 32" Sharp that they use in thier play room for video games/cartoons. I gotta tell ya its not a bad set at all. They have been beating on this thing for almost two years and its still ticking. I believe that this set can be had for $325.

The difference between a flat screen and a non flat screen IMO depends on the quality of the set. I have seen cheaper flat screen with geomatry so bad that I would almost rather be watching a 31" GE!! I would put a 32" non flat Tosh. against any of the "generic" flat TVs out there. Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by indy_dude
Just last week, I bought a Toshiba 32" Flat Screen (32AF43) from Best Buy that is in your price range. The thing is amazing, I now watch more TV than I did before.
Thanks for the lead. This looks like what we are looking for. We'll check it out this weekend.

Burt

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Toshiba 32af43 suggested by indy_dude looks very good. It looks like I can get it for about $600.

But I have a new development. I have a local dealer I trust. He will sell me a Sony KV-32fv300 demo unit for $600. (List price on this unit, when introduced, was about $1,200). The unit has been on the floor for about 4 months. (Delivered Internet prices range from $815 to $1010 for a new unit.)

The demo unit comes with full warranty. I have dealt with the dealer before and know that he stands behind what he sells. So my choice seems to boil down to a new Toshiba 32af43 or a demo Sony KV-32fv300.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which way I should jump?

Thanks,

Burt

·
Registered
194 Posts
If the Tosh. does not have a 16x9 compression mode than I would go for the Sony. It makes a world of difference when watching DVDs. A feature well worht its price.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
If the Tosh. does not have a 16x9 compression mode than I would go for the Sony. It makes a world of difference when watching DVDs. A feature well worht its price.
Thanks for this tip. I have no experience with 16x9 compression mode. All my DVD watching has been on 16:9 sets. What is this and what does it do?

BTW, the specs on both sets show "4:3, 16:9 Enhanced" under "Aspect Ratio." Is this what you are referring to?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes this is the feature I am talking about. When you use this feature the set squeezes its raster so that you dont waste lines of resolution on large black bars on top and bottom of the screen. It works for "anamorphic" or "enhanced for widescreen" DVDs. The difference when using this feature is quite substantial. Everything is much "clearer" and fine details become more prominent. Also it all but eliminates the scan lines. Really a great feature, like I said well worth the price!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:
Yes this is the feature I am talking about. When you use this feature the set squeezes its raster so that you dont waste lines of resolution on large black bars on top and bottom of the screen. It works for "anamorphic" or "enhanced for widescreen" DVDs. The difference when using this feature is quite substantial. Everything is much "clearer" and fine details become more prominent. Also it all but eliminates the scan lines. Really a great feature, like I said well worth the price!
I agree, makes DVDs look great.

It's an option on my JVC 36FA54 model (along with sub out, 2 component ins and PIP)

I suggest the JVC 32 or 36 inch I-art models.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought the Sony. No chance to play with the 16:9 compression yet, but everything else is lovely. ...much better than I expected.

Many thanks to all who contributed.

Burt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.