AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, I'm new to this forum but have spent the last day going over all the posts relating to Sharp LCD (Aquos) and the Sonys. I am trying to figure out a few things and looking for some advice. First, some background.

I will be using the LCD primarily for HDTV watching (sports) and movies (DVDs). I will not be using it for gaming purposes. I'm going to be getting my digital content from my cable company (not a satellite). I've got a full home stereo system setup so I do NOT want to use the TV speakers. If the LCD has speakers, I would love to be able to remove them. I've narrowed my choices down to the 32" Sharp Aquos line (why can't they have fewer models???) and the Sony KLV-32M1. I realize that there is a price differential, but please ignore that. I am willing to spend the money on the better LCD.

1) Sharp 32" LC-32G4U - my understanding is that the model is discontinued. Is this true? I am a fan of the AVC box, but can't find any of the G4Us (new) anywhere. Do any of the new models have the box? Is there anyplace where I can buy the G4Us? Am I just not searching hard enough? Any hints? This would be an ideal unit.

2) Various Sharp models - I read a bunch of posts on the differences between the various models. My understanding is that there are 7 32" models (GD6U, GD4U, G4U, GA5U, D7U, D5U, G5C32U). Can anyone summarize the MAJOR differences between these 7!!! models for me? And based on my background, what makes the most sense?

3) Timing - I can wait, I'm in no hurry to get the monitor right now if I know that there are gonna be some huge price declines before the end of the year or new models coming out soon. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Would appreciate anyone's views on the the above. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
63 Posts
rseshan2000

I don't think you can go wrong with either of the LCD's you have mentioned, but they are both older models that are about to be replaced. Sharp is bringing out a new line the D4(all black-side speaker) and D6(titaniaum). I think the D6 is supposed to have a detachable bottem speaker. Sony is comming out with an S-series(no built in tuner and cheeper) and a V-series(built in HDTV tuner, more imputs...more$). The Sharp has always been my favorite as far as Picture Quality, however I have just seen the new Sony S-series and I was blown away. It had the best PQ that I have ever seen on an LCD! I would also wait as prices should drop in the next few months. The bad news for you is that Sharp will no longer be making the AVC box infact the only one I know of with a 32" LCD is the Hitachi. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the info. Is the S-series already out? I went to the Sony website and they have the KLV-S32A10. Is that what you're referring to? You're saying the KLV-S32A10 is better than the KLV-32M1?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry about the confusion, but yes the KLV-S32A10 is the new one and is just hitting stores now and in my opinion is a better image than the KLV-32M1(older model). However eveyones eyes are different and you should compare for yourself. Sony are also comming out with another new 32" KDL-V32XBR1 it will cost a little more but have a few more goodie(ie built in tuner, cable card, extra component imput...). It should be out by sept. and will have a black bezel. The 40" version of this is what I am waiting for :D . Hope that clears it up for you.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
get the new sony xbr it has newer technology and a better screen than any sharp out, believe me i have 2 gd6u's good functions and tons of inputs but tv lacks in response time, contrast and deep blacks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the new 32" KDL-V32XBR1 out yet? I thought (and based on SpookySur's comments) that it wasn't out yet? and that it would be out in September?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.