AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have narrowed it down to either a 32" Samsung 32A330 LCD, or an Insignia 32" Plasma found at Walmart( I would "most" likely make up the difference in price in an extended warranty from BB for the Insignia since it is an OFF brand).

I am on a tight budget, as you can see from the choices.

This is a BEDROOM TV, so Even though my EYES will be about 8ft from the set with toes sticking up in the air(it will be on a stand), I don't need a huge movie theater experience here.

I am NOT a gamer, and have no plans to be.

I mainly watch SPORTS(football, baseball, etc...), and DVD's(not Blu-Ray, but regular 480i or possible 480p, whichever looks better after installing). Blu-ray down the road when costs drop, and I mean DROP.

I will use ANALOG cable(mainly), CLEAR QAM Cable and ANTENNA for HD( I have a A/B Remote controlled selector switch for switching from CABLE to ANTENNA since I can receive about 15 channels(not including subchannels) in SD/HD this way.

I have to use SEARS or BEST BUY because:

1. I have a $225 credit at Sears for a returned Vizio 37XL LCD(which has me a little leary about the Insignia, but beggars can't be choosers).

2. My local Grocery store offers $.20 Cents/off a gallon of gas for every $50 spent in their store. They sell Gift cards in $50/$100/$250 increments for these two stores.

If I buy either one, it will be from either of these stores due to a credit, and the fact that I could put $500 on gift cards and save $2.00/per gallon + because of the purchase.

But my questions are, if anyone can answer them:

1. Which would be better for my viewing habits?

2. Would a PLASMA at this size(32") cost more to run(Electricity) wise than an LCD at 32" or "possibly"(big if here) 37" LCD? Or is the cost somewhat negiligible? Cost is approximately 13 cents/kilowatt hour

3. Does the Insignia have a QAM tuner in it? I know the Samsungs do. This is IMPORTANT TO ME as you can see above with viewing habits

4. I know the Insignia APEARS to be a REBAGED LG, that is being used by Vizio, and they appear to have problems, but it "seems" to be GAMERS who are having major issues. I do not, and will not, fall into that group.

5. Is there some RULES with the PLASMAS as far as BREAK-IN periods are concered, like don't watch CNBC or ESPN in the first few days because the tickers/logos will burn in or IR will really Piss me Off? I know LCD's don't suffer from this, especially after being calibrated(turning down contrast/brightness and the Backlight).

I have the DVE DVD(sent through component at 480i/480p from a Phillips 3575/160 HDD DVD RECORDER) for calibration, if useful, or can you recommend a more MODERN one?

The Bedroom will have the lights turned down MOST OF TIME, and the shades can be closed to drown out Sunlight, so Glare shouldn't be a huge issue, but the above light( or reading light next to me and off to the front left of the TV may be on sometimes).

Opinions please, and thanks in advance.

I fI can think of anything else to ask I will.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Hello Again, And I have to say as far as I'm concerned at this stage of the game the only way I would go is with a plasma especially for sports with the fast action so you don't have bluring like you get on LCDs.

Hate to say it but I would save up a few more dollars & wait a few months & grab a 42" entry level Panasonic.

If you can't wait then I would give the 32" Insigina at Best Buy a shot because it seems not to have any of the problems that have been reported with the 32" Vizio. Check tstephph69 post in the "Vizio's 32 inch Plasma's are out" thread he has a report on the Insigina & how he got Best Buy to match Wal-Mart's price & etc.

On a side note I got my daughter the Panasonic 42" PZ700U for her bedroom when Costco was blowing them out & an extended warranty from one of the Forum Sponsors (Chris At MountAVision) & she has her Panny ES30 recorder hooked up to it in her bedroom & the ES30 is still going strong & she tells me the picture from it on the PZ700 is Very Good. I also got her a Playstation3 for playing Blu-Ray discs so she knows what an excellent picture looks like.

Again, Check that 32" Plasma Vizio thread.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's good to here Bill1313 that my Panny is still working like a champ for your daughter.

For me, it is about my budget. So it will either be the Insignia, or the Samsung.

But if the Insignia does NOT have a QAM tuner in it, it is out for me.

Any more opinions?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts