Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend an HDTV <=$2500 and able to fit

in a cabinet 36" W? All native formats, 16:9 preferrable.

The cabinet is a constraint, but I'm trying to avoid the

discussion with my wife that goes something like this:

Honey, I think we need to throw out the furniture in the

living room and start over.

~Why?

Because, the new TV won't fit.

~OK. No.

All help appreciated.

·
Registered
216 Posts
How about the RCA MM32110 or the Princeton AR3.6T (a little bit more money) or AR3.2T? Also Panasonic, Toshiba and Sony have direct view sets. These are all 4:3 though.

There is a new 34" Sony 16:9 HDTV coming out soon. Any 16:9 set is going to be tough in that small a width. You may want to get a (used?) projector and have the screen come down in front of the cabinet if you really want true HDTV and support for native formats.

A recent issue of Sound & Vision had a complete listing of direct view sets as well. Anyway, hope this helps.

Will

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Right now the problem that you are going to have is that many of these sets have speakers on the side of the screen facing forward which adds a few inches to the width of the set. Right now, I think that the only 34" 16:9 set that meets your size needs it the Panasonic Tau CT-34WX50.

The dimensions of this set are 25.1(H) x 34.4(W) x 23.0(D), 174.2 lbs. Unfortunately the MSRP is still $3999.

I'm in the same boat that you are with an armoire in my bedroom. I can fit a 38" width and this is the only set that I have found (other than the Princeton which is smaller).

·
Registered
572 Posts
Don't forget about the depth. Most if not all of the 34" 16:9's are quite deep. I haven't found a cabinet yet to house my Sampo.

·
Registered
121 Posts

Quote:
Any idea how this Panasonic compares to the Toshiba CW34x92?
I've seen them side-by side, and I'd vote for the Panasonic without any soul searching. The Panasonic picture is very impressive. Even electronics retailers can't seem to mess it up.

·
Registered
152 Posts
In my opinion, the Philips' 34" set has the best picture of all the HD direct views I've seen. That's especially true when watching NTSC standard analogue programming via cable. The Toshiba HD set's picture, on the other hand, was unwatchable.

Regarding set depth, the depth of the Philips 34" is the same as the depth of my standard analogue Toshiba 32" 4:3.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Not to argue, but my experience with the Philips was much less satisfactory than Eric mentioned above. In fact I think it was worse on analog cable than any other I have seen, including Sony, Panasonic and Toshiba. Only my opinion.

·
Registered
33,594 Posts
I've got the Panny and have seen it side by side several times with the Toshiba. There was no question in my mind that the Panny was distinctly better from both a clarity and color standpoint. I came to this conclusion after carefully adjusting both sets for optimum pictures (obviously neither set had been ISF calibrated in the stores that I had seen them).

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you can wait a few more months, Toshiba will released its new 34" HDTV, the 34HF81 in septembr. It's small compared to others... (W)33 2/3" (H)24 1/2" (D)23 1/2"
http://www.toshiba.ca/ceg/html/Flip%20Chart%202001.pdf if you want the specs for all the new Toshiba TV's

It will most likely blow away the old Toshiba in picture quality. Suggested price is $2,999.99, but i've seen a Canadian online shop showing a price of 2000$us for it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I also went with the panny after much shopping and A/Bing.

Saw it side by side with the Sony in one store, the Toshiba in another and the Philips in still another. To my eyes the panny always came out looking best, of course displaying the same source in each case and after I was able to adjust the sets as best I could in each circumstance.

I bought mine online from Proactiveelectronics.com about 11 months ago for $2995. I think they are now selling it for $2680. They were great to deal with.

Steve

[This message has been edited by sblinn (edited 07-24-2001).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.