AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems as if 34inch is the largest tube available with the HD aspect ratio. Is this the end of the line? Anything larger in the works?

I do like the 42 inch plasma screens, but have always loved the crt picture and space is not an issue. Those crt's are darb heavy though!

·
Registered
92 Posts
doubt it, just because its such a hassle to move around. sure some people would buy it, but alot of people wouldnt just because of the size and weight

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
Quote:
just because its such a hassle to move around. sure some people would buy it, but alot of people wouldnt just because of the size and weight
huh? you think thats why there are not larger CRTs?

cause of the weight??

how often do you move your TV around??

and even then with a 43" or 50" plasma, that wieght a 100lbs or so, are you going to be moving/hanging that by yourself

if anything weight is an advantage

no thief would ever consider robbing you of your 200+ lbs CRT

·
Registered
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
huh? you think thats why there are not larger CRTs?

cause of the weight??

how often do you move your TV around??

and even then with a 43" or 50" plasma, that wieght a 100lbs or so, are you going to be moving/hanging that by yourself

if anything weight is an advantage

no thief would ever consider robbing you of your 200+ lbs CRT
its just too much of a hassle to make also. but seriously..if u went with a 40" CRT..it would take at least 3 people to move it, and mayb even 4. so weight is a big factor

·
Registered
35 Posts
having moved my 36xs955 a few times, weight is definitely a factor. size is also an issue, the box for the 36xs955 barely fit through my front door (36"). anything bigger and they would have to take it out of the box to move on the dolly, with added risk of damaging the tv.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
It doesn't help with stairs, but look up a product like "Super Sliders from Waxman."

http://www.waxman.com/surfaceprotectionproducts.htm

These are pads of sorts that you put underneath furniture and you can literally slide and move that furniture around with great ease, all by yourself.

I can't tell you how many times these have already bailed me out. When I had my carpets changed a month ago, where my XBR960 is, the job was done in a jiffy, thanks to these things.

I moved the XBR960, on its stand, in it entirety, by myself with ease, simply by slipping one of these under each of the four corners of the furniture, and sliding it all into another room.

They almost work too well. I moved a queen sized bed across the room, fully assembled, simply by using the above method. That thing practically flew across the room on these things.

I can't recommend a product like this enough to EVERYONE.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I'm waiting for SED technology myself since this sounds like the perfect successor to CRT.

Basically it's suppose to be a flat panel display with the same excat PQ as CRT minus the neagtives like convergance issues,geometry and weight and bulkiness.

Sounds very promising to me if they can get this out at a decent price!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
It doesn't help with stairs, but look up a product like "Super Sliders from Waxman."

http://www.waxman.com/surfaceprotectionproducts.htm

These are pads of sorts that you put underneath furniture and you can literally slide and move that furniture around with great ease, all by yourself.

I can't tell you how many times these have already bailed me out. When I had my carpets changed a month ago, where my XBR960 is, the job was done in a jiffy, thanks to these things.

I moved the XBR960, on its stand, in it entirety, by myself with ease, simply by slipping one of these under each of the four corners of the furniture, and sliding it all into another room.

They almost work too well. I moved a queen sized bed across the room, fully assembled, simply by using the above method. That thing practically flew across the room on these things.

I can't recommend a product like this enough to EVERYONE.
those pads are pretty handy, i use them for moving furnitures all the time. i now have my 30 and 36 xs955 on tv stands with wheels so i can roll them when i need to move them.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
CRT's will not go bigger than 34" in the future it's just not cost effective. I don't really see CRT's being around by the end of the Decade, by 2011 SED, LCD, and Plasma will be the only choices. Everything will be HD and every set will have duel ATSC tunners built-in. By 2011 the standard size TV will be 42" and the smallest you will find will be 37" set's.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by athi
those pads are pretty handy, i use them for moving furnitures all the time. i now have my 30 and 36 xs955 on tv stands with wheels so i can roll them when i need to move them.

Whoever invented them has to be a genius and multimillionaire by now. Great!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch
standard size TV will be 42" and the smallest you will find will be 37" set's.
:rolleyes: mmmmmmmmmm so all of us are expected to put a tv over 40inches in width in our kitchens?ya....... what about pc monitors with tuners built in?those will still be avalible in 17~inches

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz2TheWallz
:rolleyes: mmmmmmmmmm so all of us are expected to put a tv over 40inches in width in our kitchens?ya....... what about pc monitors with tuners built in?those will still be avalible in 17~inches
FYI, the standard size TV for the avg home is 36". So it's not unreal to figure that in 4 to 5 years the avg size TV in a home will be 42". The avg size TV is based on the family's main viewing room TV.

FYI, PC monitors and TV's are not considered to be the same, so yes PC monitors may still be in the 17" to 21 " range, and NO pc monitors will not have HD tunners in them, that will be somethink the graphics card handels, as ATi and Nvidia are both including on their current and future chipsets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.