AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to buy a new center channel (Paradigm Studio cc470) but it weights 34Lbs! I am worried that it might be too heavy to sit on top of my 48" Mits RPTV. What do you guys think? Thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a 51" Hitach F500...I've read in forums that long term placement of a center speaker caused one persons set to warp. I've never tried this because of fear.

I went to home depot and built my self a little shelf stand for my center speaker. It looks like a sqaure arch that goes over the t.v. with about 4-5" clearance from the top of the television. I used "L" brackets and a strong piece of aluminum to add strength and stability to the shelf. Works great...cost me about $35.00 to build.

I did not have to paint it because I bought some stock wood that is used to make book cases andi already came laminated and painted...all I did was cut and screwed the pieces together.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
That is not that heavy for a center speaker. Make yourself a piece of wood or glass that covers the entire width of the tv and at least deep enough for you speaker and put it on that. It will distribute the weight of the speaker evenly across the entire top of the TV and will be fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 42 lb Klipsch RC7 sitting on top of my Hitachi 57S500. It's supported by a piece of 3/8" glass cut to fit the top of the TV. The glass is elevated 3/16" by rubber discs furnished by the glass place. They are at the 4 corners so the weight rests on the frame of the TV.

The glass flexes some, so I put a shorter stack of discs at center rear to give it a little support. With your lighter speaker and less span, center support should not be necessary.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
KWTX... why not get 4 more sets of rubber feet and put them toward the center of your glass. You will still be distributing the weight over the entire piece not just that portion? Center speakers were designed to be put on top of your TV.. Its fine if you like it in front but most folks including myself think that looks to weird with an RPTV.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have a Paradigm CC-570 sitting on my Sony 40XBR800 w/o any problems. Don,t worry.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I doubt the weight would be an issue. The only concern I would have is whether the top of the TV is deep enough to accommodate the speaker, and how securely the speaker sits.

My TV (a 36" Mitsubishi direct view) has a slightly rounded shape up top along with a downward slope and a somewhat narrow depth. As is, my Studio CC just sat up on top of the TV and kind of wobbled around. It was easy to balance, but it would not have taken much to knock the speaker off the TV.

Obviously, something was needed. So, I just went to a craft store and got a 1" sheet of foam and placed that underneath the speaker. It helped to isolate the speaker body from the hollow resonant TV casing, and it provides enough friction to keep the speaker from slipping off an uneven surface.

the outrigger feet that come with the CC-470 might not work with your TV. THOSE might put gashes and holes on your TV unless you put something underneath the spikes. And it won't work well at all if the top of your TV is uneven or sloping or on the narrow side. A layer of foam or some other type of shelving might work in that case.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm also trying to pre-plan my Studio 470 purchase. I have a Toshiba 57HDX82 and the top is only 8-1/2" NOT including the bezel which I wouldn't put it on anyway. The speaker is 13" deep. You do the math....a bunch hanging off.

I was planning on putting a glass or wood top but now don't know what to do. Are the feet removable?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by biz_qwik
I'm also trying to pre-plan my Studio 470 purchase. I have a Toshiba 57HDX82 and the top is only 8-1/2" NOT including the bezel which I wouldn't put it on anyway. The speaker is 13" deep. You do the math....a bunch hanging off.

I was planning on putting a glass or wood top but now don't know what to do. Are the feet removable?
That's actually a deeper than the 7" depth on top of my TV, and I'm using a Studio CC that has an 11 5/8" depth. Also, the top of my TV's not even flat, yet my center speaker is pretty well situated on top of the TV. Most of the speaker's weight is in the front, so a few inches hanging off the back would probably not affect the balance too much. To help stabilize the speaker and somewhat isolate it from the TV, I just used a layer of foam and it works very well at keeping the speaker in place.

I've also been looking at HDTVs, and it seems that the tops of these TVs are getting narrower and narrower. I'm looking more for a 42" screen without the big base unit, and a lot of the TVs I've seen have only about 3" or 4" depth at the top. It seems that TV manufacturers now assume that people will just stick the center speaker into an overhead entertainment center, or on a stand in front of the TV or mount it on the wall. A lot of the TV stands I've seen also have shelves below, and those demonstration pics show the center speakers mounted inside. Has anyone ever tried listening to a center speaker mounted like that? It ain't pretty...

I've been told that the outrigger feet on the 470 and 570 are removable.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Problem here lies........

Width of TV.....no problem.

Depth of speaker......8" on.....5" hanging off the back. how do I stablize the platform to the tv?

Solution.....Ideas?????

·
Registered
142 Posts
Pretty much what I had in mind Brucer.

I was thinking something like that with heavy velcro or something on the legs. I'm afraid to attempt fixing any other way as I don't want to mess with the mirror on the other side.

Just wanna come up with something that looks good and works.

thx

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
First, you have very legitimate concerns. I haven't read of just 1 RPTV being damaged this way, I've heard of 7 or 8 of them. And it varies by set. There is no standard solution. Some of them are designed to hold 30 pounds, others for nothing. Some can use the distributed weight glass/wood shelf fine, for others the additional weight of the shelf poses an even greater problem.

I imagine this Mits would have some capacity to hold a center. Some the new LCD and DLP RPTVs can hold little to nothing. But the CRT-based RPTVs usually can hold more, having more substantial frames.

You might want to check with Mits tech support and ask them how large a center the set was designed to hold. If it a good 20-30 pounds, then the above suggestions for a distributed weight shelf are good ones. If it can hold 40, then don't worry about anything, if you can get the speaker to stay on it with a back brace/support. Since RPTVs come in so many shapes and sizes, one is usually left trying to come up with a DIY solution.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.